Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 05-24-2007, 03:33 AM   #1
K_Mitchell
pro, at an ametuer level

K_Mitchell is at the 6th switchback K_Mitchell is at the 6th switchback K_Mitchell is at the 6th switchback K_Mitchell is at the 6th switchback K_Mitchell is at the 6th switchback K_Mitchell is at the 6th switchback
SwagMan Racks...**NOW WITH PICS**

looking at getting a hidden hitch and this Swagman Rack, anyone have any experiance with this rack?, it is going on my cavalier z24.

I have had it with my cheapo trunk rack and the beating my bike puts on my trunks paint!

http://www.swagmanbikeracks.com/shop...age=1&featured

Last edited by K_Mitchell; 05-27-2007 at 03:58 AM.
K_Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2007, 04:49 AM   #2
yellowdogx
Proletarian greetings

yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.
If your in canada the same rack is sold at canadian tire (they call it the 2ez or something like that), it goes on sale regularly. I think on sale its around $130 or so.

As far as the rack goes, its defenitly budget (I wouldn't load two 50 lb bikes on there and drive up any rough roads or for a 100 mile road trip) Having said that two of the guys I ride with both have that rack and it has worked out good for them. Sure a more expensive rack will be better but it seems to do the job.
yellowdogx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:01 AM   #3
K_Mitchell
pro, at an ametuer level

K_Mitchell is at the 6th switchback K_Mitchell is at the 6th switchback K_Mitchell is at the 6th switchback K_Mitchell is at the 6th switchback K_Mitchell is at the 6th switchback K_Mitchell is at the 6th switchback
the sales man at the Store (Racks Unlimited in Calgary) said that they supplied the Drop In Crew with the same rack only the model that carries 4 bikes and they pounded the crap outta it and it held up fine...

most of the time it will have only one bike it onit, Mostly highway driving conditions, will have 2 on it sometimes for roadtrips...not much shuttling..
Old 05-24-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
Fat Whacker

Fat Whacker has achieved FLOW. Fat Whacker has achieved FLOW. Fat Whacker has achieved FLOW. Fat Whacker has achieved FLOW. Fat Whacker has achieved FLOW. Fat Whacker has achieved FLOW. Fat Whacker has achieved FLOW. Fat Whacker has achieved FLOW. Fat Whacker has achieved FLOW. Fat Whacker has achieved FLOW. Fat Whacker has achieved FLOW.
Wouldn't trust my bike on there. We looked at those when we were deciding what to get for our Jeep and decided on spending the extra bit and going with the Thule T2 with the add on.

That rack is for XC bikes...meaning no more that probably 30lbs each. So depending on how heavy your bike is, it may work. I remember reading somewhere that the load rating was only 60lbs max. That barely covers my DH rig.

One other thing to notice is that the arms arctually grab onto the frame of the bike rather than the tire like the T2. It can rub cables and paint.

Saris also has a rack similar to the T2. I think its a touch cheaper too, but more or less the same design.
Fat Whacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
Jerry-Rig

Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.
that rack is for a 2" receiver.... most cars are 1 1/4"
Old 05-24-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
sheffy

sheffy has achieved FLOW. sheffy has achieved FLOW. sheffy has achieved FLOW. sheffy has achieved FLOW. sheffy has achieved FLOW. sheffy has achieved FLOW. sheffy has achieved FLOW. sheffy has achieved FLOW. sheffy has achieved FLOW. sheffy has achieved FLOW. sheffy has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Whacker View Post
Wouldn't trust my bike on there. We looked at those when we were deciding what to get for our Jeep and decided on spending the extra bit and going with the Thule T2 with the add on.

That rack is for XC bikes...meaning no more that probably 30lbs each. So depending on how heavy your bike is, it may work. I remember reading somewhere that the load rating was only 60lbs max. That barely covers my DH rig.

One other thing to notice is that the arms arctually grab onto the frame of the bike rather than the tire like the T2. It can rub cables and paint.

Saris also has a rack similar to the T2. I think its a touch cheaper too, but more or less the same design.
I have the Saris rack(cycle on pro) and it kicks ass. a little pricey but worth the buck,,...i looked at that Swagman rack before we bought it and it made the decision really easy........IMO it looks really lite weight(wouldnt trust more than one xc bike on it)
sheffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
SkunkworkS
Rolie Polie Olie

SkunkworkS has achieved FLOW. SkunkworkS has achieved FLOW. SkunkworkS has achieved FLOW. SkunkworkS has achieved FLOW. SkunkworkS has achieved FLOW. SkunkworkS has achieved FLOW. SkunkworkS has achieved FLOW. SkunkworkS has achieved FLOW. SkunkworkS has achieved FLOW. SkunkworkS has achieved FLOW. SkunkworkS has achieved FLOW.
If you want a BOMBPROOF hitch tray rack, the Yakima HookUp is solid... But the price is up there with the Thule and Saris stuff.

If I was straying the budget route, which I always do, the 2EZ from Sportrack is a pretty good option. I find the plastic components pretty shitty but hey, that's what warranty/ductape/MacGyver is for.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
K_Mitchell
pro, at an ametuer level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-Rig View Post
it comes in 1 1/4" as well...

in the description it says it can handle DH bikes as well...(the brochure says that anyway) in person it is actually alot beefier..

going to check out a few others tommorow before i make a decision...
Old 05-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
K_Mitchell
pro, at an ametuer level

this could be a better (more Pricey!) Option?

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-BR114~TH917.htm
Old 05-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
treezz

treezz is climbing past Pipeline treezz is climbing past Pipeline treezz is climbing past Pipeline treezz is climbing past Pipeline treezz is climbing past Pipeline treezz is climbing past Pipeline
here is a new Saris one that has just come out available in 2 or 3 bike and 2" and 1 1/4" hitch. it is rated for 35lb bikes. the price is $350 for the 2 bike option and just over 400 for the 3 bike. the name is the Thelma.
Attached Images
File Type: gif placeholder.gif‎ (43 Bytes, 78 views)

Last edited by treezz; 05-24-2007 at 01:16 PM.
treezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
Jerry-Rig

Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.
http://www.northshoreracks.com/futuremodels.htm
Old 05-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #12
yellowdogx
Proletarian greetings

yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Mitchell View Post
this could be a better (more Pricey!) Option?

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-BR114~TH917.htm
Thats basically the same rack I have, but I have the on roof version (bob ratchet) still going strong after 4 or 5 years.
yellowdogx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:01 PM   #13
CraigH
Tear it all out!

CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdogx View Post
If your in canada the same rack is sold at canadian tire
It isn't the same rack. It is similar, but there are major differences in how it is constructed.

Edit: See the pics in the thread I linked below.

Last edited by CraigH; 05-24-2007 at 06:09 PM.
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #14
CraigH
Tear it all out!

CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-Rig View Post
Swagman has a 1.25" version although it isn't on their web site for some reason. I bought it from MEC and am running it on my Civic. Pics and details here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...38456#poststop

I've used ours a bunch of times now, but so far not for big bikes. From what I can see from the documentation the Swagman model doesn't list a load limit like the SportRack model.

Last edited by CraigH; 05-24-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #15
CraigH
Tear it all out!

Check out this thread from when I asked the same question back in March.
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=93948
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: