Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 04-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
ESHER SHORE
Building and 'biking

ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.
Thompson 4X stem

just swapped out my long suffering, creaking Easton Vice FR stem with a much lighter (190gm vs. 300gm) Thompson 4X stem in 31.8mm

feels just as stiff as the Easton when honking on the bars, looks super pretty and has dropped the front end about 1" which gives a little more front wheel traction on the fast turns

did some big drops and stunts yesterday and the Thompson feels solid as...

with Thompson's reputation don't think there is gonna be any issues with long term durability. time to go for their seatpost too...

wonder who else has had good results running "lighter" kit in place of super heavy DH / FR parts?

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/
ESHER SHORE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
A.C.
Skid for Life.

A.C. has reached the snowline!A.C. has reached the snowline!A.C. has reached the snowline!A.C. has reached the snowline!A.C. has reached the snowline!A.C. has reached the snowline!A.C. has reached the snowline!A.C. has reached the snowline!A.C. has reached the snowline!A.C. has reached the snowline!A.C. has reached the snowline!
I switched from Diabolus bars (380g) and Evolve stem (300g) to a Thomson X4 stem (31.8mm x 1.5" - 169g) and Answer ProTaper OS bars (270g) which took half a pound off my front end. I haven't noticed any difference in flex between the 2 setups and the weight savings were nice given that this is on my "all mountain" bike. Can't imagine what benefits running a Diabolus bar and stem would afford over the Thomson/Protaper combo.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
Shrew
i love jarrett moore

Shrew has achieved FLOW.Shrew has achieved FLOW.Shrew has achieved FLOW.Shrew has achieved FLOW.Shrew has achieved FLOW.Shrew has achieved FLOW.Shrew has achieved FLOW.Shrew has achieved FLOW.Shrew has achieved FLOW.Shrew has achieved FLOW.Shrew has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via MSN to Shrew
I run the Thompson 4x on both my rocky flow dj, and my rocky switch,

best stem you can get
Old 04-30-2007, 02:25 AM   #4
Jon-boy
Registered Self-abuser

Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.
I recently got one and boy is it light and stiff! I like. Looks pretty too.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:31 AM   #5
TylerDurden

TylerDurden has achieved FLOW.TylerDurden has achieved FLOW.TylerDurden has achieved FLOW.TylerDurden has achieved FLOW.TylerDurden has achieved FLOW.TylerDurden has achieved FLOW.TylerDurden has achieved FLOW.TylerDurden has achieved FLOW.TylerDurden has achieved FLOW.TylerDurden has achieved FLOW.TylerDurden has achieved FLOW.
Fit and finish, tolerance, weight, hardware, and just about everything on my Thomson 31.8 stem is better than the Diabolis. Thomson just seems to take much more care in making their stuff and the RF stuff just looks punched out. Just my opinion - but for similar $$, the Thomson is seems far nicer

Last edited by TylerDurden; 04-30-2007 at 02:46 AM.
TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:54 AM   #6
ERregular

ERregular has achieved FLOW.ERregular has achieved FLOW.ERregular has achieved FLOW.ERregular has achieved FLOW.ERregular has achieved FLOW.ERregular has achieved FLOW.ERregular has achieved FLOW.ERregular has achieved FLOW.ERregular has achieved FLOW.ERregular has achieved FLOW.ERregular has achieved FLOW.
On some of the early runs of the X4, people were complaining that it came loosee a lot. The problem was supposedly fixed over a year ago and I have not heard any compliants form the peopleI know who run them. Basically a great stem.
ERregular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
Jeff M
User

Jeff M has achieved FLOW.Jeff M has achieved FLOW.Jeff M has achieved FLOW.Jeff M has achieved FLOW.Jeff M has achieved FLOW.Jeff M has achieved FLOW.Jeff M has achieved FLOW.Jeff M has achieved FLOW.Jeff M has achieved FLOW.Jeff M has achieved FLOW.Jeff M has achieved FLOW.
but but but, my Diablous stem has FLAMES on it

Thomson (no P in there guys) is hard to beat. Light, strong, beautifully made parts with no gimmicks. They're expensive, but like a chris king headset they'll probably outlast your frame. My thomson post is going on 6 years old and has been on three different bikes.
Jeff M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
ESHER SHORE
Building and 'biking

ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.ESHER SHORE has achieved FLOW.
its a shame they only make the 2 seatposts and their stem

would love to see them do a set of hubs, seatclamp or brake lever

but i heard they make all kinds of medical /aerospace bits too, so i guess they are somewhat busy!

Old 04-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
DaveM
www.davemackie.ca

DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.
Has anyone heard of a stem breaking or failing before? Just curious.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
nouseforaname
My name is Duncan

nouseforaname has achieved FLOW.nouseforaname has achieved FLOW.nouseforaname has achieved FLOW.nouseforaname has achieved FLOW.nouseforaname has achieved FLOW.nouseforaname has achieved FLOW.nouseforaname has achieved FLOW.nouseforaname has achieved FLOW.nouseforaname has achieved FLOW.nouseforaname has achieved FLOW.nouseforaname has achieved FLOW.
Yeah - but only when ham fisted wrenches overtighten/incorrectly tighten the face plate bolts.
nouseforaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
davel

davel has reached the snowline!davel has reached the snowline!davel has reached the snowline!davel has reached the snowline!davel has reached the snowline!davel has reached the snowline!davel has reached the snowline!davel has reached the snowline!davel has reached the snowline!davel has reached the snowline!davel has reached the snowline!
I have seen both broken and twisted stems. They were both
cheap, welded stems. I've never seen a snapped or twisted
Thomson or Diablous.

Just my $0.02,
Dave
davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
Oldfart

Oldfart has achieved FLOW.Oldfart has achieved FLOW.Oldfart has achieved FLOW.Oldfart has achieved FLOW.Oldfart has achieved FLOW.Oldfart has achieved FLOW.Oldfart has achieved FLOW.Oldfart has achieved FLOW.Oldfart has achieved FLOW.Oldfart has achieved FLOW.Oldfart has achieved FLOW.
I am a believer in Thomson's products. Put 'em on and they just plain work. Reasonably light and dependable. Anyone remember those Race face adds for their Deus stems? They claimed they were 40% stiffer than the competition which most people would recognize as Thomson. Hmmm. Not that the Deus stem is lousy, it's a fine stem, but I don't flex my Thomson stem so 40% stiffer means?????What? Stiffer than a stem that don't flex? Hoopla! I call shenanigans!
Old 05-01-2007, 06:51 AM   #13
Straw
Jon

Straw has achieved FLOW.Straw has achieved FLOW.Straw has achieved FLOW.Straw has achieved FLOW.Straw has achieved FLOW.Straw has achieved FLOW.Straw has achieved FLOW.Straw has achieved FLOW.Straw has achieved FLOW.Straw has achieved FLOW.Straw has achieved FLOW.
Welded stems on DH bikes break and twist. Usually along the welds. I've seen a lot of that.

Haven't seen a block stem break, but I'm sure they do.

1-1-2-3-5-8-13-21-34
Straw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #14
ESHER SHORE
Building and 'biking

my Easton Vice stem had started to stretch on the steerer clamp area, from repeated loosenings, removal and re-assembley (its been on several bikes), then i had a big stack and the bars twisted and after that the clamp area seemed even more stretched, and the stem was making creaking noises...

i'm careful not to overtighten bolts but alloy stretches over time

Old 05-02-2007, 02:43 AM   #15
E.Long

E.Long has reached the snowline!E.Long has reached the snowline!E.Long has reached the snowline!E.Long has reached the snowline!E.Long has reached the snowline!E.Long has reached the snowline!E.Long has reached the snowline!E.Long has reached the snowline!E.Long has reached the snowline!E.Long has reached the snowline!E.Long has reached the snowline!
does anyone know where i would be able to pick one of these up, in the vancouver area.
E.Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: