Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 05-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
josef_k

josef_k is a n00b; standing by
Question A bike to start me off on the North Shore...

I've recently moved to Vancouver and am thinking of getting a full suspension bike to get into freeriding / north shore riding. I currently ride a Orange Hitman with '04 DJIII's and have never owned a full suspension bike before.

I am not planning on getting into full on DH and would like something that is solid yet slightly lighter and more nimble so that I can still pedal uphill and that the transition from my HT will not be all too severe.

I've had a look around and read some reviews and threads about bikes online and saw some bikes that appeal to me but since my knowledge of full suspension bikes is quite limited I am not sure how these bikes fair up in reality.

To start off I think I will consider getting something 2nd hand, and will probably look to spend somehwere in the region of 1500$ +- a couple hundred.

Any suggestions to start me off on my quest for a suitable ride to get started on the north shore would be a great help!

Thanks!
josef_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
M@M
No-steez

M@M has achieved FLOW.M@M has achieved FLOW.M@M has achieved FLOW.M@M has achieved FLOW.M@M has achieved FLOW.M@M has achieved FLOW.M@M has achieved FLOW.M@M has achieved FLOW.M@M has achieved FLOW.M@M has achieved FLOW.M@M has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via MSN to M@M
search this site, there are threads on this topic, and a bunch of bikes for sale in that category. i think M_dub was selling an 04 norco 6 in your price range.
just have a quick search, you will find what you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy kohut
don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too........
M@M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
josef_k

josef_k is a n00b; standing by
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@M
search this site, there are threads on this topic, and a bunch of bikes for sale in that category. i think M_dub was selling an 04 norco 6 in your price range.
just have a quick search, you will find what you need.
thanks!
josef_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
patrolskid

patrolskid has achieved FLOW.patrolskid has achieved FLOW.patrolskid has achieved FLOW.patrolskid has achieved FLOW.patrolskid has achieved FLOW.patrolskid has achieved FLOW.patrolskid has achieved FLOW.patrolskid has achieved FLOW.patrolskid has achieved FLOW.patrolskid has achieved FLOW.patrolskid has achieved FLOW.
josef , i got just the bike for you . . . . '04 coiler deelux , comes with two sets of wheels ( park and xc ) plus a 24" rear .

5" x 5" , goes uphill great , good rubber , do everything bike package . . . . you will like it , and i need to sell it . come to whistler , check it out .

pm if interested
patrolskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
switch
two foot hucker

switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolskid
josef , i got just the bike for you . . . . '04 coiler deelux , comes with two sets of wheels ( park and xc ) plus a 24" rear .

5" x 5" , goes uphill great , good rubber , do everything bike package . . . . you will like it , and i need to sell it . come to whistler , check it out .

pm if interested
If the size is right, this bike would work well. The 04 Coiler pedals like a hardtail, and the weight would be similar to a Shore hardtail (low 30s). The Z1FR is a great fork, and the 5" rear travel feels like more, and works well with only a 2.5:1 leverage ratio.

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Last edited by switch; 05-23-2006 at 04:15 AM.
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
seand
NSMB Admin

seand has achieved FLOW.seand has achieved FLOW.seand has achieved FLOW.seand has achieved FLOW.seand has achieved FLOW.seand has achieved FLOW.seand has achieved FLOW.seand has achieved FLOW.seand has achieved FLOW.seand has achieved FLOW.seand has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via ICQ to seand Send a message via AIM to seand
the coiler is wicked, that's for sure!

lots of transition preston FRs for sale which would also be ideal if something like the coiler floats your boat.

look into the switch too...super fun bike
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve
seand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:34 AM   #7
Bubble Blower

Bubble Blower is a n00b; standing by
Hey Joseph,

If the Coiler doesn't work for you I would recommend the Giant freeride bikes. I ride a Faith 3 which is a bit heavy (45 lbs i think) but there is almost zero pedal bob, rides well uphill and has definitely more travel than i can use up. It has 7" front & 8" rear. The best thing was the price; I bought mine brand new for $1,700 - it was an 05 model so you may find someone who has an older model. The Reign was a good price too but I personally didn't like the look of the rear shock position (it kind of hung down a bit low). Either way good luck with the search and enjoy the world of full suspension. I am a newbie with full suspension and loving it!
Bubble Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: