Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 05-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
Big Drop

Big Drop is a n00b; standing by
Which brake pads....

Ello,

I've got some hope mono m4s, at the mo i'm running standard sintered pads, but as i'm going to Fort William in a while i need some spare pads.

The pads need to last me a while, but still have some good bite. I origianlly wanted some EBC reds, but my LBS advised me against it as they said it would run out really quickly.

As i live in sunny old england, i need some pads which will work well in the wet and muddy conditions without losing too much bite.

So what do you suggest? Shall i just stick with the hope sintered pads and buy another set? I've heard that compared to other pads hope sintered aren't that good......

What about goodrich?

If you think i should have a certain pad explain why as it would be very helpful to know why!

Thanks

Old 05-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
peachy-B
come on rain... RAIN!

peachy-B is a n00b; standing by
buy the shimano metal. i found them to perform better than the stock hope or EBC (racing only pad).
Old 05-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Big Drop

Big Drop is a n00b; standing by
how long do they last? as i need them to last me quite a while...
Old 05-16-2006, 10:22 PM   #4
IFO
Cove STD goodness...Yummy

IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW.
EBC Gold pads are the best pads u can buy for riding in conditions that vary from Wet to dry...

the performance doesnt drop in wet conditions...

i run these pads year round and they def last quite well...
IFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
peachy-B
come on rain... RAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Drop
how long do they last? as i need them to last me quite a while...
i dnt think anyone can answer this question for u since a few factors affect this. how u ride, terrain, set-up of your brakes, your weight... etc.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #6
the flying moose

the flying moose has achieved FLOW. the flying moose has achieved FLOW. the flying moose has achieved FLOW. the flying moose has achieved FLOW. the flying moose has achieved FLOW. the flying moose has achieved FLOW. the flying moose has achieved FLOW. the flying moose has achieved FLOW. the flying moose has achieved FLOW. the flying moose has achieved FLOW. the flying moose has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFO
EBC Gold pads are the best pads u can buy for riding in conditions that vary from Wet to dry...

the performance doesnt drop in wet conditions...

i run these pads year round and they def last quite well...
at $90 a pair they had better be good.
Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithless View Post
they also call me "balloon"
the flying moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
slider32
ecmtb.com

slider32 has achieved FLOW. slider32 has achieved FLOW. slider32 has achieved FLOW. slider32 has achieved FLOW. slider32 has achieved FLOW. slider32 has achieved FLOW. slider32 has achieved FLOW. slider32 has achieved FLOW. slider32 has achieved FLOW. slider32 has achieved FLOW. slider32 has achieved FLOW.
Damn, I got beat to it.

He had to know it was coming.

Check out my website:
slider32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:07 PM   #8
peachy-B
come on rain... RAIN!

I paid about 40 for my EBC GOLD and i thought that was pricey. i got my Shimano metal pads for around 20. $90 is insane. Between the 3 (hope/shimano/ebc) i couldn't tell which ones last longer w/ my use... about the same i would say. Just don't get the resin ones.

Last edited by peachy-B; 05-16-2006 at 11:10 PM.
peachy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:49 AM   #9
IFO
Cove STD goodness...Yummy

IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the flying moose
at $90 a pair they had better be good.
OMG that ol joke aint never going away is it..

IFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:00 AM   #10
Rosscofat
E-Card ID

Rosscofat has achieved FLOW. Rosscofat has achieved FLOW. Rosscofat has achieved FLOW. Rosscofat has achieved FLOW. Rosscofat has achieved FLOW. Rosscofat has achieved FLOW. Rosscofat has achieved FLOW. Rosscofat has achieved FLOW. Rosscofat has achieved FLOW. Rosscofat has achieved FLOW. Rosscofat has achieved FLOW.
HAHAHA the 90$ ebc golds.. wow.. havent heard that one for a while. I run EBC gold in my hope 6 and 4 soon.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
Rosscofat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:26 AM   #11
zahgurim
≈ > ♥

zahgurim has achieved FLOW. zahgurim has achieved FLOW. zahgurim has achieved FLOW. zahgurim has achieved FLOW. zahgurim has achieved FLOW. zahgurim has achieved FLOW. zahgurim has achieved FLOW. zahgurim has achieved FLOW. zahgurim has achieved FLOW. zahgurim has achieved FLOW. zahgurim has achieved FLOW.
I like the Fibrax sintered in my Hopes. Kick ass on the stock pads, and no loss of power while riding in monsoons. Last a long time, and are cheap.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!
zahgurim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:44 AM   #12
knowles
repgangGANG

knowles has achieved FLOW. knowles has achieved FLOW. knowles has achieved FLOW. knowles has achieved FLOW. knowles has achieved FLOW. knowles has achieved FLOW. knowles has achieved FLOW. knowles has achieved FLOW. knowles has achieved FLOW. knowles has achieved FLOW. knowles has achieved FLOW.
I paid 25$ for my EBC GOLD
knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:09 AM   #13
umbullit
Mr. E. Fresh

umbullit has achieved FLOW. umbullit has achieved FLOW. umbullit has achieved FLOW. umbullit has achieved FLOW. umbullit has achieved FLOW. umbullit has achieved FLOW. umbullit has achieved FLOW. umbullit has achieved FLOW. umbullit has achieved FLOW. umbullit has achieved FLOW. umbullit has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via AIM to umbullit
DAmmit.
beat to the punch.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #14
baloom
suburb-dog middle-class

baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachy-B
I paid about 40 for my EBC GOLD and i thought that was pricey. i got my Shimano metal pads for around 20. $90 is insane. Between the 3 (hope/shimano/ebc) i couldn't tell which ones last longer w/ my use... about the same i would say. Just don't get the resin ones.
I don't think you can beat $5 a pair for koolstops at MEC. I don't know that I detect any difference in stopping power. Yep, they wear faster but at $5/pair, I'm willing to change then a couple of times a year.

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca
baloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:29 AM   #15
peachy-B
come on rain... RAIN!

first off, i don't think MEC carries the pads for the Hope mono M4 / Shimano 4-pot. Almost sure they don't. second, i don't mind paying $20 and know that i have a good quality set of pads in there that I dnt have to worry about.
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: