Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 04-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
bikehawk

bikehawk is a n00b; standing by
06 Kona Stinky vs 06 Norco Shore 3

I am looking to buy a new bike and have narrowed it down to these two bikes but can't decide which one to pick. The 06 Kona Stinky and the 06 Norco Shore 3. They both cost the same price and have the same forks, rear shoks and brakes.(See why I can't decide) The Kona is 4 pounds lighter but the Norco has a half inch more rear travel. Please help me decide.
bikehawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
03stinkyrida

03stinkyrida has achieved FLOW. 03stinkyrida has achieved FLOW. 03stinkyrida has achieved FLOW. 03stinkyrida has achieved FLOW. 03stinkyrida has achieved FLOW. 03stinkyrida has achieved FLOW. 03stinkyrida has achieved FLOW. 03stinkyrida has achieved FLOW. 03stinkyrida has achieved FLOW. 03stinkyrida has achieved FLOW. 03stinkyrida has achieved FLOW.
i would go for the kona..they are looking really nice this year. i loved my stinky when i had it.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
Madman

Madman has achieved FLOW. Madman has achieved FLOW. Madman has achieved FLOW. Madman has achieved FLOW. Madman has achieved FLOW. Madman has achieved FLOW. Madman has achieved FLOW. Madman has achieved FLOW. Madman has achieved FLOW. Madman has achieved FLOW. Madman has achieved FLOW.
Go ride both of them, the two have totally different feels. Thats about the only way you can pick between the two.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:17 PM   #4
IFO
Cove STD goodness...Yummy

IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW.
i think the Kona is a better bike if ur gunan climb or flat land more often..

the full length seattube is a nice feature over the Shore rather small interupted seattube.

i prefer teh 4-bar's ride on the Norco more for higher speed technical riding...

hope that helps..

p.s. the new Kona designs for 06 look awesome... so they get the nod for SEX appeal over the Norco. which has a rather bland flavourless design.
IFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
Air Supplier
mountain biking..I like!

Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikehawk
I am looking to buy a new bike and have narrowed it down to these two bikes but can't decide which one to pick. The 06 Kona Stinky and the 06 Norco Shore 3. They both cost the same price and have the same forks, rear shoks and brakes.(See why I can't decide) The Kona is 4 pounds lighter but the Norco has a half inch more rear travel. Please help me decide.
Go with the Kona, not only does the Kona look really cool, but the frame has higher aluminum so it won't dent as easily as the norco.
Air Supplier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:21 AM   #6
Ninja
Hey, who farted?

Ninja has achieved FLOW. Ninja has achieved FLOW. Ninja has achieved FLOW. Ninja has achieved FLOW. Ninja has achieved FLOW. Ninja has achieved FLOW. Ninja has achieved FLOW. Ninja has achieved FLOW. Ninja has achieved FLOW. Ninja has achieved FLOW. Ninja has achieved FLOW.
The Norco comes with a rockstar warranty.
The Kona... not so much.

Two completely different riding bikes, The Norco will probably feel lighter than the Kona while riding, but the weight scale will say other wise.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:39 AM   #7
Millstone

Millstone has achieved FLOW. Millstone has achieved FLOW. Millstone has achieved FLOW. Millstone has achieved FLOW. Millstone has achieved FLOW. Millstone has achieved FLOW. Millstone has achieved FLOW. Millstone has achieved FLOW. Millstone has achieved FLOW. Millstone has achieved FLOW. Millstone has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via AIM to Millstone Send a message via Yahoo to Millstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Supplier
Go with the Kona, not only does the Kona look really cool, but the frame has higher aluminum so it won't dent as easily as the norco.

HUH?
Millstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:16 AM   #8
Air Supplier
mountain biking..I like!

Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW. Air Supplier has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Transitory
HUH?
Yah thats right, norco comes with 6061 aluminum and the konas come with 7005 aluminum. 7005=strength
Old 05-01-2006, 05:25 AM   #9
Chunk
Sexy beast

Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Yah thats right, norco comes with 6061 aluminum and the konas come with 7005 aluminum. 7005=strength

6061 is alot easier to manipulate with hydro forming and butting and ovalizing so more companies use that advantage and make stronger, cheaper frames. Saying 7005 is stronger is true in some sense, but not entirely.

Last edited by Chunk; 05-01-2006 at 05:32 AM.
Chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:00 AM   #10
Air Supplier
mountain biking..I like!

Making it stronger by making this? Even thought I kinda liked the bike, all the welding wasn't nessecary.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:17 AM   #11
Chunk
Sexy beast

Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW. Chunk has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Making it stronger by making this? Even thought I kinda liked the bike, all the welding wasn't nessecary.

[IMG]snip snip[/IMG]
think about it. Which is stronger? A bike made of just straight toothpicks? Or a bike made of plastic that can be manipulated and formed into the ideal shape to allow for maximum stiffness and strength?

Ok, maybe not the best example (in fact, its a pretty shitty one) but when you have the option of manipulating a material, it opens up alot of design possibilities.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:24 AM   #12
johnathan

johnathan is heading up Mountain Highway
I thought the only differeence in what series allumium was chosen was based on where you are in the world as its easier to get certain series alumium in some places compared to others.
johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:57 AM   #13
Krusty Rider
... and damn proud of it!

Krusty Rider has achieved FLOW. Krusty Rider has achieved FLOW. Krusty Rider has achieved FLOW. Krusty Rider has achieved FLOW. Krusty Rider has achieved FLOW. Krusty Rider has achieved FLOW. Krusty Rider has achieved FLOW. Krusty Rider has achieved FLOW. Krusty Rider has achieved FLOW. Krusty Rider has achieved FLOW. Krusty Rider has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Ignorance is Bliss and we also know it's all about "the LOOK"
Krusty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #14
treezz

treezz is climbing past Pipeline treezz is climbing past Pipeline treezz is climbing past Pipeline treezz is climbing past Pipeline treezz is climbing past Pipeline treezz is climbing past Pipeline
Hopefully this will help shed some light on things. 6061 t6 aluminum is a heattreated aluminum. it has to be heattreated after the frame is welded. that then makes the frame all one strenght. weld and tubing. 7005 aluminum is not heattreated. it cures in the container coming over from taiwan,veitnam,china or whereever. the reason company's use 7005 is because they can leave out a step (heattreating) and save some cash.
treezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:51 PM   #15
aShogunNamedMarcus
swing sword like shogun

aShogunNamedMarcus has achieved FLOW. aShogunNamedMarcus has achieved FLOW. aShogunNamedMarcus has achieved FLOW. aShogunNamedMarcus has achieved FLOW. aShogunNamedMarcus has achieved FLOW. aShogunNamedMarcus has achieved FLOW. aShogunNamedMarcus has achieved FLOW. aShogunNamedMarcus has achieved FLOW. aShogunNamedMarcus has achieved FLOW. aShogunNamedMarcus has achieved FLOW. aShogunNamedMarcus has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via MSN to aShogunNamedMarcus
I've owned a 2000 stab primo and an 04 norco team dh. My first primo frame lasted me 6 months. The Norco didnt have an issue with it during my (short) ownership. The ride quality on both is comparable I'd say with the main difference being related to cornering and jumping. The Team DH outcornered the primo which I'll also attribute to running a 24" rear wheel on the primo. The Primo however, would jump like rocket. Very fun but scary at first - so very fun Like someone said above, warranty should be something to take into consideration. I'm pretty sure the only reason my Primo frame was warrantied was due to me calling Kona's warranty dept for weeks to months on end about my previous hardtails which I was getting the run around on (jist of that being they knew my name and knew I'd be a pain in the ass). Norco is top notch with warranties and most of the issues raised concerning theirs was due to them also being a very large distributor while being out of parts of said warranty products.
aShogunNamedMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: