Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 03-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
GeoffG
registered

GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.
Sram X/9

Looking at getting the derailleur after destroying many Shimanos. Worth the money?
What is the difference between it and the X/7?

Last edited by GeoffG; 03-26-2006 at 08:39 PM.
GeoffG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
mattj
inactive

mattj has achieved FLOW.mattj has achieved FLOW.mattj has achieved FLOW.mattj has achieved FLOW.mattj has achieved FLOW.mattj has achieved FLOW.mattj has achieved FLOW.mattj has achieved FLOW.mattj has achieved FLOW.mattj has achieved FLOW.mattj has achieved FLOW.
Some parts which are black on the X7 are silver on the X9. That's the only difference.

Seriously though, I think there's some different alloys used to make it lighter and/or stronger. Also better pulley(s)If the price difference is nominal, go for the X9. If you can only afford the X7 don't worry you will love it. Keep in mind the shifters that ran your Shimano derailleur will not work on X7 or X9.

-m
mattj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Rexthespeedster
Always coming up short

Rexthespeedster has achieved FLOW.Rexthespeedster has achieved FLOW.Rexthespeedster has achieved FLOW.Rexthespeedster has achieved FLOW.Rexthespeedster has achieved FLOW.Rexthespeedster has achieved FLOW.Rexthespeedster has achieved FLOW.Rexthespeedster has achieved FLOW.Rexthespeedster has achieved FLOW.Rexthespeedster has achieved FLOW.Rexthespeedster has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattj
Some parts which are black on the X7 are silver on the X9. That's the only difference.

Seriously though, I think there's some different alloys used to make it lighter and/or stronger.
This is correct. The black parts on the X.7 are moulded composite (plastic, basically) whereas the X.9 version has aluminum pieces.

I was told that the X.9 will be stronger, but the shifting performance will be pretty much the same.
Rexthespeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:16 PM   #4
stubz

stubz has achieved FLOW.stubz has achieved FLOW.stubz has achieved FLOW.stubz has achieved FLOW.stubz has achieved FLOW.stubz has achieved FLOW.stubz has achieved FLOW.stubz has achieved FLOW.stubz has achieved FLOW.stubz has achieved FLOW.stubz has achieved FLOW.
my shimano xt did not comaper to my x9 at all go sram or go home.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
ZHendo

ZHendo has achieved FLOW.ZHendo has achieved FLOW.ZHendo has achieved FLOW.ZHendo has achieved FLOW.ZHendo has achieved FLOW.ZHendo has achieved FLOW.ZHendo has achieved FLOW.ZHendo has achieved FLOW.ZHendo has achieved FLOW.ZHendo has achieved FLOW.ZHendo has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via AIM to ZHendo
X.9 also uses sealed bearings instead of washers. I love the sram, even the X.7 outperforms higher end shimano stuff. The tighter spring just can't be beaten.
ZHendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
GeoffG
registered

GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.GeoffG has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattj

Seriously though, I think there's some different alloys used to make it lighter and/or stronger. Also better pulley(s)If the price difference is nominal, go for the X9. If you can only afford the X7 don't worry you will love it. Keep in mind the shifters that ran your Shimano derailleur will not work on X7 or X9.

-m
What about the Sram Rocket shifter? It has the same ratio as the Shimano.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
Chunk
Sexy beast

Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffG
What about the Sram Rocket shifter? It has the same ratio as the Shimano.
whoa whoa whoa, are you just talking about replacing the shifter? I looked at your original post and i took it as you going all SRAM.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
PhilJ

PhilJ is through the gate, and climbing past the water towers
Send a message via MSN to PhilJ
I have also been considering switching to sram. Can you use a shimano cassette/chain with a sram derailler/shifter?
PhilJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
GeoffG
registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk
whoa whoa whoa, are you just talking about replacing the shifter? I looked at your original post and i took it as you going all SRAM.
I already have the Sram Rocket, Im looking at a new derailleur.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:19 PM   #10
Chunk
Sexy beast

Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.Chunk has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffG
I already have the Sram Rocket, Im looking at a new derailleur.
Ohhhhh, nope, the rocket shifters only work with shimano.

If you want a SRAM RD, youll have to use the 1:1 shifters (i.e. X0, X9, X7 or whatever) The Attack shifters dont work with ANY sram RD. Only shimano.

And as for the question above about shimano cassette and chain working with SRAM shifter RD, yes, they will. In fact, many people say the shimano cassettes have better ramping for shifting, so that might even be ideal.

Shimano chains suck to deal with though. They perform just as good as a SRAM chain, and they are certainly interchangable, but working with shimano chains suck. When you break the chain (like if you are shortening the chain) you cant just push the pin back in like you can with sram, you have to replace it or else that pin will come loose really easily. So, if you are on the trail, you need to carry extra shimano pins with you in case you have a problem with it. With sram you can push the pin back in and not worry about it coming out.

Confusing eh?

Last edited by Chunk; 03-26-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
GeoffG
registered

Fuck, so I have to buy new shifter now as well?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:59 PM   #12
IFO
Cove STD goodness...Yummy

IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.
SRAM numberd parts with SRAM only..

SRAM named parts with Shimano parts.

easy to remeber it that way...

p.s. u can mix and match chains and cassettes thou.. but i like the SRAM gear for everything... i've had beter results.
IFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #13
BOWMAN
Wham bam thank you ma'am

BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.
i ride x7 on my jamis dakar xlt and i can honestly say i will most likely never go back to shimano, the shift quality is sooo good, sometimes i dont even feel it shift.
BOWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:22 AM   #14
GeoffG
registered

Uggh. What is retail for the shifter and derailleur?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 AM   #15
BOWMAN
Wham bam thank you ma'am

BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.BOWMAN has achieved FLOW.
prolly about 120-160

just a guess

ill check the norco catalog at work tomorrow
BOWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: