Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 10-04-2004, 01:18 AM   #1
freerider
Bike Rida

freerider is a n00b; standing by
I need new cranks

Ok well i was riding Whistler on friday an i stripped the pedal right out of my crank and it is unfix able there the race face prodigy DH. Now im going to be contacting race face and see if i can get a waranty up grade to the north shore dh. now im want to know what you guys think of these cranks? and also if this up grade is not possible what would you guys sugest i should get?. I need some really strong dh cranks. o and i need prices and where to buy if possible thanks

Old 10-04-2004, 02:21 AM   #2
GRIZZ

GRIZZ deserves a tour of the VanTan ClubGRIZZ deserves a tour of the VanTan ClubGRIZZ deserves a tour of the VanTan Club
um there is a year warrenty on the cranks and to my knowwlege it isnt covered...but a new prodigy arm is like $75....and i am sure you can get your crank heli coiled...but you should get raceface diablus if you can from raceface or buy them...they are so strong and look amazing
GRIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 03:10 AM   #3
freerida69
johnny quakerbush

freerida69 is a n00b; standing by
my firend did the same thing and got his warrenty to a dh evolve with the steel insert for the pedal for free
Old 10-04-2004, 05:04 AM   #4
IFO
Cove STD goodness...Yummy

IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.IFO has achieved FLOW.
look into getting a warrenty upgrade to the Evolve DH cranks...

it should be cheap and they offer the metal pedal thread insert...

u should safely call your previous troubles goodbye....
IFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:35 AM   #5
switch
two foot hucker

switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.
There's a steel washer that goes between the pedal shaft and the cranks. If you didn't have one in there (which will cause the pedal to strip out), the warranty is invalid. So make sure you have the washer.

The Evolve line is the replacement for the Prodigy line, so the Evolve DH is pretty much the Prodigy DH. The North Shore DH is a premium crank, but it has differences that might cost you. The 5 arm spider would require different chain ring(s) and bash guard.

Getting your current crank arm replaced under warranty would be the cheapest option, and you really shouldn't have problems with the pedal threads stripping.

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
Nelson
Unregistered User

Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.
Diablous cranks are really cheap when you factor in what youre gettin. And even if you still find them pricey, you have to rememeber that theyre hand made in New West by a bunch of really nice people.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:58 AM   #7
sleeper72
I drain the shore.

sleeper72 is a n00b; standing by
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay T
i am sure you can get your crank heli coiled
Nope. Pedal threads are a rather rare dimension which Helicoil doesn't make. Some bike shops have a kit that puts a little steel sleeve in there, which is different than a genuine Helicoil (which is more like a square wire spring) but don't even bother with it. It will break up and fall out in one or two rides. I know this from experience. I ended up getting some Kona Bulge steel cranks. Heavy, but damn sexy.
sleeper72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: