Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 05-21-2004, 10:44 PM   #1
Team2K
FutureRogueMountainbiker

Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via ICQ to Team2K Send a message via AIM to Team2K Send a message via Yahoo to Team2K
Rack Attack Article

Great article. After a quick read, i'm really leaning towards the recommended Yakima Kingpin 4 (info below)... sounds just about right for my Cherokee. Although i LOVE the idea of the swing out Yakima ROC n Gate 02571 Bike Rack (how is this for fitting BigHit and other FS frames?) for $270 US, i'm guessing its more like $500 CDN.

Unfortunately i wasn't able to get on time for my whistler trip today, so i guess seats are going down and i'm chuckin' the bikes in the rear

I did, however, ask my mechanic about installing a 2inch receiver hitch. He quoted about $180 + labour, but then laughed at me when i told him it was for carrying heavy bikes. 4 bikes @ 50lb each (being generous) is 200lb.... he tells me a 2" receiver is for towing 10,000 lbs and i'd be nuts if i got one just for a bike rack. But all the bike racks seem to be built around the idea of a 2" receiver... hrmmm????

Questions:
Is 2" receiver the way to go?
Am i nuts, or is my mechanic?
Whats it cost for a 2" receiver incl. install?

Dual Arm Hitch Rack:
Advantages: Carries most frames without the need for frame adapters.
Folds down to allow access to the back of your vehicle.
Can come with the ability for "swing away" access to the rear of your car, even with the bikes on the rack.
Separate cradles allows for a firm grip on each specific bike.
Have built in anti-rattle to keep the rack silent.
Arms can fold down when not in use, keeping the rack out of the way.

Disadvantages: None

Price Range: $150 - $550
Suggested Rack: Yakima Kingpin 4, at $270

(website says $180, but i'm presuming thats US$)
Team2K is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2004, 11:02 PM   #2
DaveM
www.davemackie.ca

DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW.
Whatever you plan to buy, take your bike down to the store and physically put them on the rack and make sure they fit. If you plan on carrying 2 bikes, take them both down. You'd be surprised how many racks that "carry most bikes" don't carry most bikes, especially if you're dealing with full suspension. I don't like those adaptors that go from the seatpost to the stem. Something about relying on my seatpost quick-release to secure my bike doesn't appeal to me.

Go with the 2" receiver. Most racks built for 1 1/4" receivers won't carry more than 2 bikes.

The pricing he gave you is pretty good. Make sure he tells you how much the labour will cost. Shouldn't be more than $50.00
Old 05-21-2004, 11:07 PM   #3
atari_
ohh four oryx. Jealous?

atari_ is a n00b; standing by
ok, K2 here's the scoop
YES, you want a 2" reciever.
You want Rack Attack to install it for you, (it will cost $33.60 for labour, plus the cost of the rack)
I have the kingpin 4 on my Cherokee, it's awesome. You'll love it, I guarantee.

The reason for a 2" is that you can carry 4 DH bikes on it. A class 2 hitch (1 1/4") can carry 4 lighter bikes only.

(and I'm glad you like my article )

OHH yeah, we have a serious sale on the roc n gates in canada.

I'll sell you one in the store for $399 canadian. This is a killer rack. The only downfall is the one arm system. Some FS bikes will have a hard time fitting. If you bring your rides down to the shop you can put them on the racks, and make sure it works first.
atari_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
DaveM
www.davemackie.ca

DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW.
Atari, you obviously work for Rack Attack. What happened to the Yakima Rim Rock? It was the best rack they made, the only one that would truly take any bike with 2 wheels, and they stopped making it. I went looking for one last week and found out they are "no more".
Old 05-21-2004, 11:14 PM   #5
atari_
ohh four oryx. Jealous?

ohh, your mechanic needs to learn the difference between towing weight and tounge weight.

Jeep Chrokee's have a class 3 hitch at 3500 pounds towing capacity (5000 with stabalizer bar). Not a class 5 at 10,000.

The tounge weight is %10 of the towing weight of a hitch, so 350 pounds.
50 x 4 = 200
plus 40lb rack

you're fine

you can get a class 2 hitch (1 1/4) with the same weight limits, but it's more expensive. Just go with the 2". It's a better hitch.

depending on the year and model of your jeep, the price will be $186 - $217
Old 05-21-2004, 11:15 PM   #6
atari_
ohh four oryx. Jealous?

Quote:
Originally posted by davet
Atari, you obviously work for Rack Attack. What happened to the Yakima Rim Rock? It was the best rack they made, the only one that would truly take any bike with 2 wheels, and they stopped making it. I went looking for one last week and found out they are "no more".

I agree, it is one of the best racks made. The problem is no one bought it. We couldn't sell any of them. Yakima then discontinued it. After that happend, NSMB ran a article on the rack, and people started seeing them on cars. Now people come in all the time wanting the Rim Roc. Unfortunately it is no more. The sales manager has one for himself, it's a beauty rack.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:42 PM   #7
Team2K
FutureRogueMountainbiker

Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW. Team2K has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via ICQ to Team2K Send a message via AIM to Team2K Send a message via Yahoo to Team2K
Atari_ cool i'll come see ya... who do i ask for... Atari?

btw its a 1995 Grand Cherokee Limited, if that matters... with NO hitch
Team2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:47 PM   #8
Bryce
Registered Abuser

Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW.
RacAttack could make some serious cash if they made their own brand of racks. Why do we pay so much for a rack that was designed in Europe, marked up by several middlemen/customs agencies, and that doesn't even serve our specific DH needs very well?

Here's what I mean. Last year my buddy welded up some hitch mount racks from square tubing and they rocked. It was a simple T-shaped design, with 2 arms that were strong enough for 4 DH bikes and that folded in when not in use. No plasticky mounts, just a foam covering and a slight hook at the end to keep the bikes on (and we'd bungee of course). It worked better than anything else that I've used and the whole thing cost like $30

Even with 100% markup, it could be $100 retail. I've seen other people make similar one-off racks so obviously the concept is out there. When I sell my PU, I'm all over one of those.
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 12:26 AM   #9
atari_
ohh four oryx. Jealous?

we have tried to make our own rack. The problem is there is no market for a rack like that outside of north van.

and K2, ask for Sean (but atari might work, depending who you ask). If I'm not around, Andy is the man.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:27 AM   #10
Shmoe
MTB rider

Shmoe has reached the snowline! Shmoe has reached the snowline! Shmoe has reached the snowline! Shmoe has reached the snowline! Shmoe has reached the snowline! Shmoe has reached the snowline! Shmoe has reached the snowline! Shmoe has reached the snowline! Shmoe has reached the snowline! Shmoe has reached the snowline! Shmoe has reached the snowline!
Quote:
Originally posted by atari_
we have tried to make our own rack. The problem is there is no market for a rack like that outside of north van.
That is just not true. I know many people here/many places in Canada and the states that would buy a cheaper good quality rack.
Shmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 06:59 AM   #11
atari_
ohh four oryx. Jealous?

Quote:
Originally posted by Shmoe
That is just not true. I know many people here/many places in Canada and the states that would buy a cheaper good quality rack.

as close as you're going to get is Saris T rax. You can't get a quality rack for any cheaper.

Plus, for something that's going to last 10 years, you want something you're going to like to own for 10 years.

I spent $3500 on my bike. $200 for a bike rack that will carry my bike safely, that's not very much money at all.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:37 PM   #12
XXX_er

XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW.
under disadvantages for the single or double arm hitch racks you don't list any

how bout the fact that with a lower car like a golf or a honda carrying a bike with a DC fork ,your front wheel will be only 4" from the pavement which will hit on curbs and dips in the highway?
XXX_er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:41 PM   #13
atari_
ohh four oryx. Jealous?

XXX_er, that's only true for racks like the swagman, a single arm carryer.
A dual arm carryer is fine. With the Yakima Kingpin your bikes will have lots of clearance. I went from 4" clearance with a swagman to 1 foot above the rear bumper with the kingpin.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:58 PM   #14
Slamigo
just jeepin

Slamigo deserves a tour of the VanTan Club Slamigo deserves a tour of the VanTan Club Slamigo deserves a tour of the VanTan Club Slamigo deserves a tour of the VanTan Club
Whatever happened to the YAKIMA RIMROC?
I have one of those and it works great.

For sale: 5th element spring 425 lbs from a 2003 Bullit $40 shipping incl. PM me.
Slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 06:09 PM   #15
XXX_er

XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW. XXX_er has achieved FLOW.
I would think if you could get the dual arm into OTHER spots on the frame besides the top tube so you could pick up some extra clearance?

Actualy an SUV with a swagman is ok,my buddy has a tire rack mounted swagman and he carries a DC forked bike no problem's so really the issue is only a DC fork on a small car. If you were going a long distance you could just take the wheel off but if you were shuttling it was a pain to take the wheel off of a boxxer every time. But 64.9 for diesal and 55 mpg makes it worth driving a small car

BTW I had to buy an adapter bar on short notice last friday(the bike doesn fit and we are leaving NOW!) to carry my GF's new Jamis dakar. The sport rack bar I got from canuck tire for 45$ wasn't too bad,lots of tough plastic protection that looks like it will last on the ends,lots of room for the stem ,and the gates on each end of the bar work well

BUT the protective plastic ring on one side of the bar can interfere with clamping the bar tight with a swagman so I will be doing some mods,cutting off the plastic ring and finding some 1" heater hose to slip over the bar
XXX_er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: