Old 12-22-2003, 08:38 PM   #1
shorelocal
Safe don't pay good

shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.
Brake Issues

Looking for opinions on a brake upgrade.

I currently have Purple Hayes F&R with 8" rotors and I just can't seem to achieve strong braking power. The brake lines have been replaced, genuine Hayes pads are new(ish), and I'm using DOT4 fluid ... but nothing helps. Everytime I bleed the system with my little leach kit, some air pockets exit at the top (lever end). Even after a fresh bleed, the brakes are still mushy, to the point that sometimes the lever comes all the way back to the bar. I have even had the LBS bleed the system with similar results.

I guess I have a few options.

#1 - try out the new Goodridge stainless lines (might be worth a shot)
#2 - full rebuild of current brakes (master cylinder and/or calipers)
#3 - install complete new brake system

What I want is a solid brake feel without too much play.

Cheers
shorelocal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
switch
two foot hucker

switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.switch has achieved FLOW.
Purple Hayes are very good, strong brakes.

Take it to a bike shop that can fix the problem as it could be a leak in any part of the system and a good mech should be able to figure out where it is.

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:03 PM   #3
shorelocal
Safe don't pay good

shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.shorelocal has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally posted by switch
Take it to a bike shop that can fix the problem as it could be a leak in any part of the system and a good mech should be able to figure out where it is.
Any suggestions for a good shop on the Shore, as the current shop I go to can't seem to fix it (going by past results).

Cheers
shorelocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:21 PM   #4
ruff
I'm a Hammer!

ruff has achieved FLOW.ruff has achieved FLOW.ruff has achieved FLOW.ruff has achieved FLOW.ruff has achieved FLOW.ruff has achieved FLOW.ruff has achieved FLOW.ruff has achieved FLOW.ruff has achieved FLOW.ruff has achieved FLOW.ruff has achieved FLOW.
hmmm, maybe your cartridge is cracked?
ruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:43 PM   #5
Rat
I like the way you roll

Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally posted by Superchode
Any suggestions for a good shop on the Shore, as the current shop I go to can't seem to fix it (going by past results).

Cheers
Dizzy Cycles
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:06 PM   #6
UFO
Old school

UFO has achieved FLOW.UFO has achieved FLOW.UFO has achieved FLOW.UFO has achieved FLOW.UFO has achieved FLOW.UFO has achieved FLOW.UFO has achieved FLOW.UFO has achieved FLOW.UFO has achieved FLOW.UFO has achieved FLOW.UFO has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via ICQ to UFO
you could have a deteriorating piston seal, at either master cylinder or slave cylinder.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:22 PM   #7
axx

yes.. what UFO said.. best places i ever took my breaks was John henry and then they directed me to dizzy for parts and experts
Old 12-23-2003, 12:29 AM   #8
The_Real_Yeti
Big Foot

The_Real_Yeti is a n00b; standing by
Quote:
Originally posted by Superchode

Cheers
Go to the cove shop
The_Real_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 03:29 AM   #9
otbscm #13

otbscm #13 has reached the snowline!otbscm #13 has reached the snowline!otbscm #13 has reached the snowline!otbscm #13 has reached the snowline!otbscm #13 has reached the snowline!otbscm #13 has reached the snowline!otbscm #13 has reached the snowline!otbscm #13 has reached the snowline!otbscm #13 has reached the snowline!otbscm #13 has reached the snowline!otbscm #13 has reached the snowline!
Check yourn secondary reach that may be all that's wrong with your brakes
otbscm #13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:18 AM   #10
NSTP
employee of the month

NSTP has achieved FLOW.NSTP has achieved FLOW.NSTP has achieved FLOW.NSTP has achieved FLOW.NSTP has achieved FLOW.NSTP has achieved FLOW.NSTP has achieved FLOW.NSTP has achieved FLOW.NSTP has achieved FLOW.NSTP has achieved FLOW.NSTP has achieved FLOW.
go to Steed, we deal with OGC ( the deals hayes brakes) on a weekly basis and the OGC head mechanic will even come in to take at look at serious problems. But if you hayes are falling short, i know a dude that got the goodridge lines for his hayes, and notices a great improvement in braking. Some other great brakes for the Buck are the 4 piston XT or new saint brakes!
Old 12-23-2003, 04:51 AM   #11
treezz

treezz is climbing past Pipelinetreezz is climbing past Pipelinetreezz is climbing past Pipelinetreezz is climbing past Pipelinetreezz is climbing past Pipelinetreezz is climbing past Pipeline
i get all my work done at BSP NV. it sounds like your bladder in the lever is split or it can also be the plastic were the bleed screw tightens into being cracked. this happens if ham fisted mechs over tighten the screw
treezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 05:07 AM   #12
BAC5.2
DCLXVI

BAC5.2 BAC5.2 BAC5.2 BAC5.2 BAC5.2 BAC5.2 BAC5.2 BAC5.2 BAC5.2 BAC5.2 BAC5.2
Send a message via AIM to BAC5.2
Weird that you are having problems. I'm still on stock hardwear (hoses and everything) after more than 2 years on my Hayes Purples, and have no problems. I would have dropped Hayes a long time ago if I was having problems.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:23 PM   #13
Kid Riemer
Industry Marketing Person

Kid Riemer is a n00b; standing by
There is either something currently wrong with one of the parts of the brake, or it isn't properly bled.

If your current shop hasn't been able to fix the problem, go to a different shop.

If the system is bled fully, and then cleaned well, you should be able to tell if you've got a leak somewhere.

Goodridge lines will improve that system, but there is something else wrong that you need to take of first.
Kid Riemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 08:09 PM   #14
shorelocal
Safe don't pay good

Thanks for all the input folks.

I'm gonna try once more with the current Purples and see if I can't get them fixed properly. The possible bladder leakage/crack sounds like my next area of attack.

Cheers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: