Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > The Shore

The Shore All Shore, all the time

Old 12-02-2003, 09:51 AM   #1
Jaysin

Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via MSN to Jaysin
Unhappy Wiping out has taken its long term effect on me

Well a few years back, I hit a jump, wiped out, got up and found that my leg was ripped wide open, 9 inches long, 2 inches wide and an inch deep, all the way down to the bone almost.....and it went right to my head...everytime I try and hit something bigger than 5feetish, I get all skeptical and pull out......it fuckin sucks, everytime I lookat my scar (right near my crotch) and see the scar and the marks of all 50 staples, I get a weasy feeling in my stomach, and it just really bugs me thast it is dampering my riding

Anyone have the same feeling?
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2003, 10:47 AM   #2
FuManChu
Sphincter Boy

FuManChu is a n00b; standing by
i know what ya mean. i ater big off drop in edmonton this summer and scared up my arm pretty bad. next time we where there i was asked if i was gonna hit it again and i said yes even though i had my doubts. so i jsut lined up and tossed er with out really thinking about and stuck it. i find that positive visualization and acting braver than you are really help. i usually get a few worse case sinarious in my head visualizing but block them out and think of sticking the tranny smoothly and more often then not it goes well. hopefully that helps
FuManChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:15 PM   #3
BRT
It's All Two Wheels...

BRT has achieved FLOW. BRT has achieved FLOW. BRT has achieved FLOW. BRT has achieved FLOW. BRT has achieved FLOW. BRT has achieved FLOW. BRT has achieved FLOW. BRT has achieved FLOW. BRT has achieved FLOW. BRT has achieved FLOW. BRT has achieved FLOW.
What is it that bothers you? Is jumping something you want to get better at? In ten years time will you look at your scar and wonder what might have been if you hadn't let it hold you back? Ride your bike. Have no regrets. The mind can play terrible tricks. Getting hurt keeps everyone back at some point. If you make the decision not to hit something, good. Maybe you are not ready. When you are ready hit it. Don't complicate a simple pleasure, its just riding a bike. Yes, I have had the same feeling. That feeling will pass.
BRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:01 PM   #4
Curtis

Curtis is a n00b; standing by
I've found what works for me is start out riding reall easy stuff to help regain your confidence. Once you start second guessing yourself, your time will be off as well. Starting small will help gain it all back,, it just takes time, you where able to get to the level of riding you where at before because you where confident in your ability. What's changed, you crashed, we all crash. Get back on your bike and rip it up.

Good luck man.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:07 PM   #5
Tool
shedhead

Tool has achieved FLOW. Tool has achieved FLOW. Tool has achieved FLOW. Tool has achieved FLOW. Tool has achieved FLOW. Tool has achieved FLOW. Tool has achieved FLOW. Tool has achieved FLOW. Tool has achieved FLOW. Tool has achieved FLOW. Tool has achieved FLOW.
why do you ride to begin with? Because it's fun

Progressing will come along, but for riding in general, it's just that natural feeling of being on the bike and having fun. When you start having fun again, the drops and jumps and stuff will come back in no time. If you're not having fun then there's no point
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:59 PM   #6
Slamigo
just jeepin

Slamigo deserves a tour of the VanTan Club Slamigo deserves a tour of the VanTan Club Slamigo deserves a tour of the VanTan Club Slamigo deserves a tour of the VanTan Club
Get some more protective gear. The more gear you have, the better. It will help you get over the confidence slump. After a while, you will find that you will probably forget about being injured and whether or not you continue to wear lots of gear will be up to you.
I hurt my ankle really bad skateboarding, (compound fractured fibula, dislocated ankle, snapped two sets of ligaments, 3.5 hrs surgery, steel screw, etc). It was more than a year before I was riding like I could. Actually, I'd say almost 2 years.
Give yourself some time to get over the mental aspect.

Also, and I am serious here, you should look up some information on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. What you experienced was a very traumatic event and you may need to work through it. It might even be a good idea to go see your family doctor and explain your persistent fears.

And visualization is the key to success as well. Don't imagine the fall when you ride, imagine the perfect landing. Always try to visualize a perfect landing. It will help.
Slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:15 PM   #7
Putty
richard cephalus

Putty has achieved FLOW. Putty has achieved FLOW. Putty has achieved FLOW. Putty has achieved FLOW. Putty has achieved FLOW. Putty has achieved FLOW. Putty has achieved FLOW. Putty has achieved FLOW. Putty has achieved FLOW. Putty has achieved FLOW. Putty has achieved FLOW.
chicks like scars, esp near the crotch. go wild.

hi jasin,

hi.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.
Putty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:55 PM   #8
Mountain Dewd
the dewd abides

Mountain Dewd has achieved FLOW. Mountain Dewd has achieved FLOW. Mountain Dewd has achieved FLOW. Mountain Dewd has achieved FLOW. Mountain Dewd has achieved FLOW. Mountain Dewd has achieved FLOW. Mountain Dewd has achieved FLOW. Mountain Dewd has achieved FLOW. Mountain Dewd has achieved FLOW. Mountain Dewd has achieved FLOW. Mountain Dewd has achieved FLOW.
I know how you feel, i have a buddy who yoused to be pretty crazy and would go for anything huge, but he had an accident and ended up breaking both his arms, compound fracture, bone sticking, he had to walk 12 blocks home in shock......he has totally changed now, instead of being into hucking and stuff he sticks to learning tech stuff, but it is frusterating riding with him sometimes cause i know he can do a lot more jumping wise safely, but an injury like that really changes your outlook, he is serious about hockey and he ended up missing the whole season, not to mention his first 5 months in high school he was just known as the funny looking kid with both his arms in full arm casts......it has only been a little more than a year but he is still real timid towards any thing with much of a risk factor, i know that injury is kinda on his mind every time he looks at something intimidating.

i broke my arm the summer before last but it wasnt nearly as bad, fractured humorus, and i was really slowed down in my progression for a long time and i missed a good part of the best riding time but it didnt have a huge mental effect on me cause it wasnt as traumatizing of an injury, but basically i don't know what to say to help you, maybe ride with a lot of people your skill level and just try what they are doing, i am sure you are capable of doing it, you just have to focus on the fact that your injury was an accident, it wont happen every drop or everytime you crash, focus on looking at the chance you have of landing whatever your doing instead of focusing on the "if" factor or what could happen, you have a lot better chance of landing something(if you still have the skills or whatever, i assuming you do) than of crashing.
Mountain Dewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:39 PM   #9
Sharon

Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW.
I think that's called self preservation. It happens as you get older.

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Check out Canadian Cartel - A canadian mail order company.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 08:24 PM   #10
Think Fast Hippie

Think Fast Hippie has achieved FLOW. Think Fast Hippie has achieved FLOW. Think Fast Hippie has achieved FLOW. Think Fast Hippie has achieved FLOW. Think Fast Hippie has achieved FLOW. Think Fast Hippie has achieved FLOW. Think Fast Hippie has achieved FLOW. Think Fast Hippie has achieved FLOW. Think Fast Hippie has achieved FLOW. Think Fast Hippie has achieved FLOW. Think Fast Hippie has achieved FLOW.
I had a similar experience, I was doing urban wheelie drops off about a four foot ledge. It all seemed to be going ok until I miscalculated where I should give it that little tug. I found myself going over the bars and onto my head. I had a black eye and I still suffer from a stiff neck, and this was two years ago. I guess the age thing may have something to do with it I'm still a little shy when coming up to drops, although I've gotten better at them. I guess it just takes time for you to realize that you can do it, and that it was just a mistake that gave you the bad experience and not your ability.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:46 PM   #11
Jaysin

Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW. Jaysin has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via MSN to Jaysin
Putty

HI!

Thanks for all the advice guys, its a bitch knowing an accident like this can screw you over like it has been.....and I couldnt agree more that riding is all about having fun, and everytime I hit the saddle I am in my element.

As for progression, this summer was one hell of a season for me, doing things I have never done before, all because I was riding with my 15 year old cousin that could take me to school, he taught me alot of shit when riding with him, one of them being: always visualize what you are doing before you do it" Always take the time to scope out the situation, and then if it feels right, giver shit.

Wiping out is definately part of the sport, but learning how to wipe out properly can take some time
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:45 PM   #12
KING-OF E-VILLE
Born to rule

KING-OF E-VILLE has achieved FLOW. KING-OF E-VILLE has achieved FLOW. KING-OF E-VILLE has achieved FLOW. KING-OF E-VILLE has achieved FLOW. KING-OF E-VILLE has achieved FLOW. KING-OF E-VILLE has achieved FLOW. KING-OF E-VILLE has achieved FLOW. KING-OF E-VILLE has achieved FLOW. KING-OF E-VILLE has achieved FLOW. KING-OF E-VILLE has achieved FLOW. KING-OF E-VILLE has achieved FLOW.
yo jay

you may never be the same, the scar on your thigh is on the outside, but your confidence is forever scared too. crashes are humbling. maybe you got off easy. It pisses me off when everyone says "just keep trying". some people are just not as talented as others. (we can't all be Wade). learn from your crash. if you never hit a 5 footer again, big deal. just ride the stuff you can do without fear. i broke both wrists one summer about 3 years ago, and I still can't ride that section of the trail. its a mental block for me, so I walk it, get back on at the bottom and giver over everything else. I have never been able to jump like I used to. It might be age, responsibilities or wisdom, or maybe I'm just chicken shit now. whatever, I still ride often and hard.

hopfully the memories will fade.
KING-OF E-VILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:23 PM   #13
Spud-biker
senior citizen

Spud-biker has achieved FLOW. Spud-biker has achieved FLOW. Spud-biker has achieved FLOW. Spud-biker has achieved FLOW. Spud-biker has achieved FLOW. Spud-biker has achieved FLOW. Spud-biker has achieved FLOW. Spud-biker has achieved FLOW. Spud-biker has achieved FLOW. Spud-biker has achieved FLOW. Spud-biker has achieved FLOW.
Its the way we learn as well . You push your limits , you progress, youget hurt , you regress.
its just a cycle , if you dont push you dont get better .
But i guess theres consequences as well.
like the guys are saying get up on your bike and ride and enjoy it .
some day you'll feel like pushing it again

That all looks confusing when i read it but maybe you know what im saying
Spud-biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 02:31 AM   #14
drezy

drezy has achieved FLOW. drezy has achieved FLOW. drezy has achieved FLOW. drezy has achieved FLOW. drezy has achieved FLOW. drezy has achieved FLOW. drezy has achieved FLOW. drezy has achieved FLOW. drezy has achieved FLOW. drezy has achieved FLOW. drezy has achieved FLOW.
Pussy!.......just kiddin' Jay. I totally hear ya. I busted up my shoulder pretty bad a while back and it really affected me. I'm still a little freaked about the stunt that did me in. Like someone already said, you gotta build up that confidence again.

Come riding with us Jay. Fve minutes into the ride, you'll be saying if that old prick can hit it, so can I!
drezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 03:02 AM   #15
Incorrigible

Incorrigible has achieved FLOW. Incorrigible has achieved FLOW. Incorrigible has achieved FLOW. Incorrigible has achieved FLOW. Incorrigible has achieved FLOW. Incorrigible has achieved FLOW. Incorrigible has achieved FLOW. Incorrigible has achieved FLOW. Incorrigible has achieved FLOW. Incorrigible has achieved FLOW. Incorrigible has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via Yahoo to Incorrigible
if you are still considering 5 footers, you are doing all right. i broke my hand 3 months ago, and have undergone 2 surgeries, physio, acupuncture and the gym 5 times a week. i can't even ride around the block anymore - and not because of the wretched snow on the ground.
Incorrigible is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: