Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
pete@nsmb.com
Crashministrator

pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
NSMB Forum test: Specialized Tires

At NSMB we are taking our testing to a new level by giving you, the community members of NSMB, the chance to participate in product testing.

For this forum test we are partnering with Specialized Tires. Between four and six testers will be chosen from the applicants below. Those testers will spend about 20 minutes on the phone with Specialized's Director of Product Management for Tires, Wolfe VormWalde, who works out of their nerve center in Morgan Hill, California. Together with Wolfe, testers will choose the most appropriate tires for their bike, riding style and intended use, and then their rubber will be sent to them. Riders of all styles will be considered: we are looking for some variety in terms of rider level, experience, and discipline - in other words being a semi-pro downhiller does not give you a better chance of being selected than being an intermediate All Mountain or (gasp) XC rider. What we're looking for are quality applications from testers who will create a lot of content, answer questions from other forum members and do a good job of sharing their experience throughout the test period.

How to be considered

Answer the questions below to be considered as a tester. Please have an answer to all questions and be specific.

1. What tires do you currently use? (feel free to list multiple bikes if you have more than one, as well as wheel size)

2. Have you used Specialized tires in the past? If so, which ones?

3. How often do you ride, and what are the conditions like on your home trail network? (i.e. wet, rooty, rocky, smooth and fast, etc)

4. What tires have you been considering for your next purchase?

5. How often do you buy new rubber?

6. Most importantly: Provide an example of a 'gear shots' style review: select any component (new or old, whether you own it or not) and provide a short review (~300 words), making sure to cover things like performance, design, value, durability, etc. Your gear shots review can be a combination of words, photos, and video - just make sure you give us an idea of your ability to do the job. Things like spelling and grammar count, as well as the quality of the photos and video. They don't have to be 'bangers' but take a bit of time and make your content compelling and informative.

You must be able to test the product and update your test findings on a regular basis - a minimum would be a few rides and at least one update every few weeks, but updates can include answering questions that other BB members have, or posting photos/video of the test product in action, or a few fresh words to describe how you're getting along with your review product. That is the minimum. Remember that we will consider your past review contributions when picking testers for future reviews. For examples of Forum reviews that we like, refer to this thread - those boys are killing it in there.

The deadline to apply is 12:00 midnight PDT on Tuesday, July 2nd. Up to 6 BB Members will be selected. To participate, you must be a currently active BB member or become one - it won't be held against you if you're new to the community, as long as we can see that you are being active. 'Active' means you have made a minimum of 20 posts in the last month.

Geographical preference will be given to forum members in North America for this test, however exceptional applications from outside of North America will be considered.

Remember: if you are not chosen this time, there will be plenty of opportunities for future product tests.

EDIT: The testers have been chosen, and they are:

Kevin_m31
AussieDreamz
stickboy
Feral
whitehonky
TeCeBe

PMs have been sent to the testers, who have until Sunday to reply. They will be put in touch with Wolfe at Specialized so they can book their phone call with him to choose the right tires for their riding style, bike, and trails.

For those of you not chosen, we were pleased with the number of quality applications, so please don't be discouraged. There will be more forum testing opportunities and we encourage you to apply again. Please remember we want an idea of your writing and photo and/or video skills and your Gear Shots sample does not have to be the same product you're applying for, we just want an idea of your ability to evaluate product and add a little character to the process.

Last edited by pete@nsmb.com; 07-10-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Added chosen testers' names
pete@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
TeCeBe

TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.
1. What tires do you currently use? (feel free to list multiple bikes if you have more than one, as well as wheel size)

Front - 29x2.25 Maxxis Ardent
Rear - 29x2.1 Maxxis Crossmark

These are being run on a Chromag Surface. Its my one and only bike for actual trail riding.

Last year I ran a 26x2.25 Crossmark in the rear and a 2.35 Larsen or 2.4 Ardent in the front on a Giant Trance.

Nope. But I would like to give them a try, especially after reading the favourable reviews of late. I've become a bit of a Maxxis fan over the years and become reluctant to buy anything else.

3. How often do you ride, and what are the conditions like on your home trail network? (i.e. wet, rooty, rocky, smooth and fast, etc

2-4 days a week in Whistler, BC. Local trails are a mix of it all, except for smooth, there isn't a lot of smooth. Is it All Mountain or XC? I will leave that to the marketing department, but there is a ribbon of dirt and rock and you ride your bike on it. Trail riding sounds about right to me. I tend to keep my wheels on the ground unless things have gone horribly wrong. I don't believe I have ever shuttled and I rarely put my bike in or on a vehicle riding door to door.

Maxxis 29x2.35 High Roller 2
Maxxis 29x2.4 Ardent
Specialized 29x2.3 Butcher/Purgatory/Ground Control
Conti 2.4 MK2

I am looking for something with more beef but still want them to roll well and not weigh a ton. I have loose plans to get a new front tire and put the Ardent on the back but haven't got around to it yet.

Someone once told me you had to use new ones every time! I couldn't afford that so I just keep using them until there worn out.

Your just going to have to trust that I

Last edited by TeCeBe; 06-29-2013 at 04:09 PM.
TeCeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
boomforeal
cycling based lifeform

boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.

29 x 2.35 schwalbe nobby nic evo front
29 x 2.2 maxxis ikon exo rear

i've found this a fast and grippy combination in dry conditions. but the ikon doesn't provide much grip in the mud, and the nic is fine for straight line riding in the wet, but doesn't like to be leaned over and doesn't telegraph its breaking point very well.

i couriered for a year on a pair of specialized nimbus armadillos. first decent paycheck i got i knew i wanted to ditch my panaracer magic (latte) smoke/darts combo for a pair of slicks. i asked around for advice (not so easy for an anglo courier in montreal) and the armadillos were the most highly rated for flat resistance. the hype turned out to be true, and there's no way to overstate how funny it is to hear a true quebec-er try to pronounce the "har-ma-dee-loh."

my son's 16" hotrock came with a pair of specialized rythim lite tires. this is relevant because i rode his bike quite a bit on a pumptrack i built last year. very impressed with the tire - low profile tread gripped well on hardpack and put up with a lot of kids pulling skids and adults railing berms.

3. How often do you ride, and what are the conditions like on your home trail network? (i.e. wet, rooty, rocky, smooth and fast, etc)

i try to ride my mountain bike at least twice a week. most rides on the north shore mountains, so yeah: wet, rooty and rocky. i'm a closet xc rider so i try to ride on the islands, squamish, the sunshine coast and the fraser valley as much as i can. mmmm, soil.

maxxis high roller 2 29 x 2.3
specialized purgatory 29 x 2.3 (wish there was an armadillo version... grrrr)

i used to run tires until they failed (lots of flatting, holes in sidewall, knobs falling off, etc.) but have recently found myself getting a new set about twice a year.

6. Most importantly: Provide an example of a 'gear shots' style review

here's a "gear shot" i did for momentum magazine in 2008. they asked for a review of the brooks b-17 saddle i'd been riding for 5 years, but had me pare it down during the editing process to around 1/3 of it's original length:

Quote:
The B-17 is the workhorse of the Brooks' line of saddles: tanned and molded leather, steel rails, brass rivets and no springs; simple, unassuming yet elegant. After 5 years I still catch myself admiring its form and developing patina. It feels smooth and solid under bum – riding an ice cube is my best analogy – and provides a solid and comfortable platform for riding once you've broken it in (or maybe it's the other way around?). Recommended with one caveat: Brooks don't weather well. Keep yours dry or retire it for the winter.
brevity is the soul of wit
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Kevin_m31
yes

Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.

I only spin 26'ers and I do this on a Range and a Socom, soon to be an Aurum

Tires I've run this year:
On the Range
2.35 Hans Dampfs Trail star compound, snakeskin, set up tubeless
2.35 Kenda Nevegals Dual compound stikeeeeee tubeless ready, set up with tubes

On the Socom
2.5 DHF DHR combo in full UST tubeless on the 60a never wear out never grip compound
2.5 trail star front/ 2.35 vert star rear Muddy Marry's with tubes
2.5 DHF set with a super tacky front and 3c rear with the full DH casing with tubes

Nope, but you do see them gathering traction in the market(TURBO PUN). Willing to check out what's around.

I try to ride Burke once a week whether it be on the range or socom. It can be wet, or dry, usually wet. There's roots, there's some speedy stuff, and some pedaling.

I can be found doing a lap on one of the shore mountains after work once a week be it cypress shuttles, fromme pedals, or what not. As imagined, varying terrain encountered.

For weekends I try to crush the park (in reality it's usually me that gets crushed). Got 7 days in so far this season and hope to have 10 by the end of the long weekend.

In general lets say on average 3 rides a week in the summer. Varying from slightly pedaly (absolutely no XC) shore stuff to super speedway Dirt Merch laps. As for riding ability I don't have any bus stop adds or energy drink sponsors but I seem to feel rather competent. I came in almost last at the sunshine coaster dh in my first ever race after a bad run so you can just assume I'll be on the world cup tour next year.

Aurum will need rubber. Was thinking Hans Dampfs in that new super gravity casing, or maybe Magic Marry's if they become available. May stick with maxxis and go for a new DHF and try out a highroller II rear... maybe specialized?

Hard to say. When I need new tires? Compound & tire tread & use kind of vary this but I don't think I could go a season without buying at least one fresh set.

6. Most importantly: Provide an example of a 'gear shots' style review:

Well how about I give a quick review of the tires I have on my Range. The Hans Dampf 26 x 2.35 trail stars running tubeless. I had just come off a half season of reminding myself why I dislike the Nevegals that always seem to come stock on the bikes I buy when I was convinced to try out a set of Schwalbes.

Installation
I mounted the Dampfs on my sun ringle charger wheelset. With a couple scoops of stans and a few strong pumps they seated in without much problem. They come in at a reasonable weight just over the claimed 760 grams a piece and pump up around the same size as the 2.5 maxxis tires, if not larger. The mystery of how tire sizing is done is beyond me and obviously isn't universally agreed on.

The same tread pattern runs either way, so you are safe from having that devastating realization you mounted your tires wrong.

Down the slope
Having a much higher price point, way more techno jargon/ features, and going to tubeless, obviously once things got rolling there was a much different feeling. Dropping quite a bit of weight moving to this set up was noticeable and quite pleasant. The downhill capabilities of these tires in varying conditions is great. They hook up super well on roots, rocks, berms made of rocks, skinnies, and all the other awesome stuff these have seen in a year. The only time these tires didn't perform exceedingly better than Nevegals (not setting the bar high here) is in the mud/super loose wet stuff. There is always a happy medium to be found between rolling resistance and those half inch mud spikes you wish you had on a few days, and I'm not about to change tires just for one weekend, nor is the average user.

Around the bend
At first it took a while to get used to hooking up in corners sooner than anticipated compared to other tires. It just seemed to have more immediate traction as apposed to that feeling of waiting to hit the side knobs on a tire with a more wide open transitional area. I tried sucking a little less and managed to rail a few corners as time went on. They don't have quite the same transition-to-the-beefy-sidewall feeling of a minion or muddy marry if you really lean it in the corners, but it's more than adequate for the "enduro" lifestyle I try to rock on the Range.

Upward march
These tires will roll uphill, and aren't terrible for that fire road spin to win, however they certainly aren't an XC tire. They have a draggier feel that could be due to a combination of being fairly wide, soft tread, or rider laziness. Fortunately for me my only strava times going uphill were accidentally set while driving a truck, so not having the best pedaling tire has never ruined my day.

Life with the Dampfs

Durability seems good. I'd have to guess these things have been on 40+ rides and they aren't needing replaced (see above). This is something nice to have with a spendy set of rubber. You get to use a super poofy euro accent whenever anyone asks you what tires you're running. Haven't had a single flat or burp after having 5 flats in 2 months on the nevegals.

Overall
They wear good, descend great, corner good, and pedal okay.

If you still aren't convinced that I would be the best person to choose ever, please consider this Hans Dampf enhanced photo:

THE END

Last edited by Kevin_m31; 06-29-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Kevin_m31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
pete@nsmb.com
Crashministrator

pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
Good starts so far. Please remember that #6 is the important one. Words and photos or a video are going to get you ahead. As much as a photoshopped (de)motivational poster with a pithy caption counts for that somewhat, we also want to actually see what you can do in terms of taking a photo or two that profiles the product you're reviewing.
pete@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Jon-boy
Registered Self-abuser

Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.Jon-boy has achieved FLOW.
I will throw my hat in the ring here...

I am on Hans Dampf 29x2.35" front in the Trail star compound and 2.35" Specialized Purgatory rear.

I could add my road and cyclocross bike in here too... I am also toying with putting a retro ride together.

I ride my 29er for everything and ride it hard. I am doing various xc style races in Squamish and Enduro races this summer so have some interesting demands from my tires.. Also like to run them tubeless.

The Purgatory is the first Specialized tire that I have had in many many years. I may have had a Ground Control back in the 90's.

I ride as often as possible, at least 3 times a week on my mountain bike. I ride the north shore, out in the valley, Squamish, whistler, Bellingham, got a trip to Whitehorse planned, I will ride wherever I have time. My trails range from rocky, rocky damp, to dry dusty open and fast and maybe throw in some loam every now and then when I get to the island and the Sunshine Coast.

I am interested in something better rolling for some of the races and maybe for the Yukon trip. A Maxxis Icon for the rear is interesting as is a the High Roller II for the front. I am also interested in the Specialized Butcher Control front.

5. How often do you buy new tires?
Depends how quick they wear! I got through a Hans Dampf on the rear in 6 months. My new Purgatory is already looking 60% at 3 months in. The front Hans Dampf is looking about the same at 4.5 months.

6. For the gear review, Cam and Morgan have one that I wrote up for them recently. I don't want to post it up here as it might end up on the front page soon! PM me if you want me to post a review on something else here.

Last edited by Jon-boy; 06-29-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Jon-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
whitehonky
Whitehonky

whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.
First of all, I've confirmed with Pete that current "Ryders Shore Goggle" testers can also apply for Specialized tire forum testing (and if selected, I will work to ensure a transition to "Specialised" for the spelling in Canada).

Second, if this is determined by the good folk of the forum to be bad form, let me know, and I will happily withdraw. I've enjoyed testing the Ryders product and providing reviews and thoughts, but if it's too much to do both, or I don't cut your mustard (whatever that means), let me know. I can take it....

With that, my application:

140mm travel 29r:
Front – 29x2.2 Maxxis Ardent
Rear – 29x2.4 Continental MountainKing
Just arrived – 29x2.2 Continental RubberQueen

180mm travel 26r:
Front and Rear – 26x2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF dual

Not since my very first true mountain bike – a matte grey Specialized Stumpjumper with 1.9 Ground Controls.

My riding is varied from commuting to earn-your-turns riding to bike park.

Commute: I typically ride standard west coast single track on a daily basis on Burnaby Mountain, as my commute is 70% off road and single track and includes year-round west coast weather. My morning climb is either gravel trail (Trans-Canada Trail) or singletrack (typically North Road Trails to Mel's to Gear Jammer). My descent is anything from rooty and wet and fast and bermy and buff. I use the 29r as my daily ride.

Weeknight/Weekend: We move all over the Lower Mainland and Squamish and Whistler for riding. Weeknights are typically spent 2 nights per week on Burke Mountain or Eagle Mountain on a variety of trails on either bike, depending on trails. Both these mountains feature a combination of long tedious gravel road climbs to steeper single track climbing on Eagle. Descending is either loamy flowing single track with a reasonably high root to dirt ratio, all the way to classic North Vancouver style "free riding" with drops to 10' (there's bigger, but not for me), steeps, skinny ladder bridge descents, and long floaty booters. Weekends will typically be Fromme with favorites being 7th to Ladies to Lower Ladies or Skull, or Upper Oilcan to Espresso to BP to Nat. High to Immonator. So pretty varied rides. All of these rides are typically on the 26r.

Bike Park: We typically try to ride bike park 10 to 12 days per season, with at least half of these being Whistler with a strong preference for the Garby zone. We just came back from opening weekend at Silver Star and will also be hitting Mt. Hood Ski Bowl, Kirkwood, and Northstar in July/August. That trip will also feature stops in Oakridge, Downieville, and Tahoe with the core purpose being mixed and varied riding. All of it will be done on the 26r with 1x10 drivetrain and ideally more versatile tires than the 2.5 Minion's currently on the bike.

I've been considering two types of tires for purchase in the next little while.

29r: I am strongly considering the Purgatory/Butcher combo in 2.3 for the wet season of daily commuting, but this will be competing for weight and price against simply replacing the Conti MtnKing/RubberQueen combo which I've become a large fan of.

26r: I honestly have not followed the Specialized tire store in the 26" Freeride/DH category, but for the summer road trip, I am hoping to find a lighter, but durable, strong casing 26" tire in a 2.35 or 2.4 as a daily driver that will take me from wet Washington State to dusty buff inland Oregon to sharp and knobby Tahoe and Downieville. For 3 or 4 bike park days in between I'm not sure if I want to bother mounting up fatter tires, so hopefully one set can be found. Again, the Specialized Butcher looks good, as does the Maxxis Highroller II. I've had a variety of Schwalbe's in the past, and have never been delighted with their durability, despite good performance from a traction/rolling perspective.

I typically buy new tires once per year for the 26" bike and twice per year for the 29". But really, it depends on durability and massive failure events which I have no control over. It also depends if my kid lowers the seat, hops on the bike, and goes on skid patrol in front of the house. I do believe, however, that tires cannot be judged on a just a couple rides. Every new tire takes time to adjust to and I've rarely met a tire I liked on ride 1 or 2, as any new tire will affect the ride from what you are used to on a daily basis. So I try to select tires based on recommendations and longer term reviews. I'm nervous to even comment on a tire's performance until it's got at least a full day in a bike park or a good week of riding on it, and then it will still likely only be a tentative comment.

6. Gear Shots Style Review.

Rather that filling this whitespace, I have now been a part of the Ryders Shore Goggle review, which can be seen here: http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=154734

In applying for that test, I submitted a "Gear Shots" style review here: http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=...um+test&page=2

Pete, thanks for encouraging me to apply again. Forum folk, let it be heard if this sux.
whitehonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
rewoga
I am Molech!!!!

rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via Yahoo to rewoga
1. What tires do you currently use?

Small bike (Banshee Prime 29er) - Maxxis Ardent 2.25s
Big bike (Banshee Scythe) - Front: Bontrager Big Earl 2.7 dual compound
rear - Nokian NBX 2.5

No. (don't think so? I've been riding for over 20 years and have had a lot of tires...)

1-2 times per week. Terrain includes a bit of everything.

I need bigger / sturdier tires for the Prime. The Ardents are fast, but they don't inspire a lot of confidence over wet terrain and in roots etc. This is especially true with the Prime is it can HAMMER! I was thinking the Hans Dampfs, but as I am broke, I'm not seriously considering any purchase at the moment... (thus my application - I really need some tires and don't have spare $$ for a variety of reasons...yes...I am playing the pity card)...

Whenever its on blow-out at the LBS - 2-3 tires per year. Also depends on how much I am biking.

refer to this thread - LOL...

I'll post up a fresh review of something this weekend so things are fair!

I write interesting stories with mediocre quality photo's about things I do and crazy shit that happens!

http://www.citizenclass.ca
rewoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
Kevin_m31
yes

Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.
Alright well Pete made me think that possibly the photo of me wearing rocket pants may not be enough to do the trick. Crazy, I know. With this in mind, and seeing the competition rolling in with the line "I did awesome last time," I figured I better step it up a bit.

And for the record. I never used photo shop. MS Paint FTW!!!

Last edited by Kevin_m31; 06-29-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Kevin_m31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
PUNKY
Ginger Hacks

PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.
1. Bike #1 (Fr) 26x2.5 DHF Minion EXO 3C (Rr) 26x2.35 High Roller LUST
Bike #2 (Fr) 29x2.25 Ardent LUST (Rr) 29x2.25 Ardent LUST

2. Just rode a set of 26x2.3 Butcher Controls at WBP on Saturday. Have a new 29x2.3 Purgatory Ground Control sitting waiting to be paired up with a more aggressive front tire on the 29er. I could mount it up front, with an Ardent out back, but Im an optimist who truly believes my tire will one day arrive.

3. Ride 3x a week on the Sunshine Coast. A mix of whatever en vogue marketing term is being used this week, I call it mountain biking. I pedal up, across, and down all in one ride, and more often than not end up with a smile on my face. Trails around here are pretty smooth and either covered in organics or dirt, and maybe the occasional armour or wood here and there.

4. (Fr)26x2.4 HRII 3C, (Rr) 26x2.4 DHR II, DHF 26x2.35(Rr), (Fr) DHF 26x2.5 3C, (Fr) 29x2.3 HRII 3C, (Fr) 26x2.3 Butcher Control, (Fr) 29x2.3 Butcher Control

5. When they wear out, or I find Im not liking the current tire for my needs. Which is the state both bikes seem to be in right now.

6. I once rode a Norco Sight 650B last fall Best part was all the video footage I took of the ride resulted in filming the stem cap (Yay GoPro Chesty!) and trashing the footage, as it made myself unbearably motion sick. I vowed to make improvements to my filming process next time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarklewis View Post
ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.
PUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
stickboy
Overpowered by Funk

stickboy has achieved FLOW.stickboy has achieved FLOW.stickboy has achieved FLOW.stickboy has achieved FLOW.stickboy has achieved FLOW.stickboy has achieved FLOW.stickboy has achieved FLOW.stickboy has achieved FLOW.stickboy has achieved FLOW.stickboy has achieved FLOW.stickboy has achieved FLOW.
Phew! Down to the wire...

-Specialized Captain Control 29x2.1
-Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1
-WTB Weirwolf 26x2.35
-Panaracer Cinder 26x2.1

-Specialized Chunder 26x2.5
-Specialized Fast Trak 26.2.0
-Specialized Adrenaline 26x2.0
-Specialized Captain Control 29x2.1

I ride three to five days a week twelve months of the year. We’re blessed with the ability to ride all year on the west coast and I take full advantage. The home trails have a mix of classic Vancouver Island riding. Within less than five minutes of pedaling distance is a 30km network of single track that has a mix of roots, fast rock, technical, and fun downhill.

A stickboy and his dog on some of Vancouver Islands finest – Photo Paul Jay

I’m also booked this summer to explore the Chilcotins, Whistler, Cumberland, and Hornby Island. Damn, this is an awesome place to live and ride!

-Specialized Fast Trak Control 29x2.2
-Maxxis Ikon 29x2.35
-Specialized Purgatory Control 29x2.3
-Specialized Butcher Control 29x2.3
-Specialized Ground Control 29x2.3
-Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29x2.35

This depends how often I need to service my tire fetish. I usually go through a set of tires every six months or so, give or take.

Mountain bike tires – A solution for every condition!

A Tale of Three Mountain Bikes – Current Tire Reviews

I have three distinctly different mountain bikes in my stable. This is a short review of those rides and the tires they currently run.

1990 Concorde Kudu – Rigid 1x7
This bike has helped define my riding style more than any other. A gateway drug if you will… My first SS, it has led me into 29ers and SS’ing as a core component of my mountain biking regimen. These days the Kudu is a 1x7 trail building transporter and it has the privilege of breaking in freshly cut single track. I still love every minute I spend on this old school mountain bike. You can read about its previous life as Readers Ride #2.

The Kudu is now a trail building workhorse but it longs for the SS glory days.

The Concorde runs a WTB Weirwolf up front and Panaracer Cinder in the back.

Panaracer Cinder 26x2.1

The Panaracer Cinder is a chunky nugget of a tire with tall square knobs and a rounded profile. The Cinder has a distinctive red gum wall and provides excellent traction on the rear. It rolls well enough and is extremely durable which is appreciated on my rigid building machine. The Cinder is a workhorse going on six years old.

WTB Weirwolf 26x2.35

Another long wearing bastard of a tire that has spent its life on the front of my Kudu. A cherished purchase from a Gulevich Garage Sale, the Weirwolf has a tall square profile, enough kush for rigid duty, and just works day in and out in the wet or dry.

If the Boys of Summer had their way the Kudu would take the summer off and be dressed up all SS with a set of fast rolling square edged rocket launchers. Fast Traks or Crossmarks come to mind for the hard pack summer riding we have on the Island.

2013 Kona Honzo – 1x9

My Honzo Riding “Yer Mom” – Photo Dan Curtis

This bike is just silly fun. It’s upright, poppy, and loves the gnarly terrain. It is never in a hurry to get anywhere fast until you point it down. The Honzo is just what you would expect from a giant BMX machine. As a child of the 80’s I can totally appreciate where this bike is coming from and it holds a welcome spot in my stable. Rad!

The Honzo taking a short breather

The Honzo’s wheels are currently wrapped in a Specialized Captain Control 29x2.1 upfront and a Tubeless Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1 out back.

Specialized Captain Control 29x2.1

This Excellent all-rounder shines in most conditions except loose over hard pack. The Captain is relatively light and rolls well. This tire is usually reserved for the front wheel of my 29er most of the year on local trails. The block patterned tread holds the line chosen and does pretty much anything asked of it. Tubeless setup is a breeze. The only niggle with this tire may be sidewall longevity. I’ve gotten a season out the current set and I’m generally pleased with their performance and value.

Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1

I use this almost exclusively as a rear tire on the back of my 29ers but it can hang up front as well. The traction this tire provides is excellent combined with a low rolling resistance and strong sidewall. The tread has a slightly rounded profile but cornering is still predictable and braking acceptable. The OEM version is on the heavier side but its inexpensive, long lasting, and sets up tubeless without too much trouble.

I’ve used this combo in Cumberland, Squamish, and Whistler but the Honzo yearns for more. The Honzo often takes these tires past their limits when the going gets rough. The Honzo would benefit from a more aggressive set of boots to really come alive and live up to its potential as an all-mountain slaying machine.

2013 Kona Raijin

Sooo Raijin! Sooo nice!

Last but certainly not least in my stable, the term Raijin is Japanese for the God of Lightning and it lives up to its moniker. Fast, precise, and supple for a hardtail; currently in a SS tubeless configuration, it’s a trail scalpel that demands the rider stand up and hammer. It responds in kind, catapulting you down the trail as only a titanium rocket can do.

Raijin! Blink and you’ll miss it.

The Raijin is dressed in Maxxis Ignitors and they certainly get the job done but they’re like a winter coat. The Raijin longs for a lighter, faster rolling, lower-profile tire that sets up tubeless. Is the Raijin a possible candidate for the Goldilocks Combo?

The Goldilocks Combo

There are maybe four weeks a year on Vancouver Island where conditions are just right for tires like a Maxxis Aspen on the front and a Kenda Block 8 on the rear. A friend of mine refers to these conditions as Goldilocks, not too wet and not too dry.

Kenda Small Block 8 29x2.1

This wicked fast tire has given me scars from using it outside of optimal conditions. Pick the right day and this tire rocks your world. Pick the wrong one and it slaps you to the ground without a single warning. The small knobbed rounded profile prefers hard pack without any added mud to pack up or marbles to skate on. Forget about going tubeless as the sidewall is rather porous and it’s not on long enough to justify. It’s fleeting just like summer and best suited to a rear wheel.

Maxxis Aspen 29x2.1

The Block 8’s partner in crime, the Aspen has a low profile chevron pattern in the middle combined with an outside knob that squares up real nice when it’s spun up scary fast. This tire runs up front and has just enough tread to keep the bike sailing on a sea of hard pack. It’s a light, fast tire that corners remarkably well despite its minimalistic tread and fragile appearance.

Last edited by stickboy; 07-03-2013 at 03:02 AM. Reason: formatting
stickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #12
AussieDreamZ
WoooHooo!!!

AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW.AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW.AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW.AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW.AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW.AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW.AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW.AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW.AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW.AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW.AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW.
26” hardtail: Maxxis Minion exo (front) & schwallbe Fat Albert (rear) [Tubeless]
26” Park Bike: UST Maxxis Minion (front) UST Maxxis Minion (rear) [Tubeless]
26” Freeride Bike: Hans Damf (front) & Maxxis High Roller (rear)
29er: Schwalbe Nobby Nic (front) & Icon (rear) [Tubeless]

I put a 29 purgatory on rear of my 29er for the winter, then proceeded to ride my hardtail. It worked well for the Nimby 50 though!

Over the last 3 years (since I’ve been counting) I clock in on average 180 days per year of riding. I tend to ride all over BC include the Shore, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, Chilcotins and Nelson. Anything from shuttle, bike park and some pretty epic pedal adventures.

I just bought some new tyres a couple of weeks ago, a Muddy Mary for my Freeride bike and a set of UST Minions for my park bike so I could set it up tubeless.

At least a couple of times per year, I like to change my tyres depending on the season and what I am riding. I constantly like trying new tyres and new combinations on front and rear.

--------------------------------------------

BIKE MINI REVIEW: Rocky Mountain Element 29er (Custom build)

First Impression & specs

After riding a Rocky Mountain Element MSL for nearly two seasons I had the opportunity in September 2012 to convert to the new 29er variation of the Element.

I transferred across all of my components (sans wheels and fork) from my 26” Element. The first thing I noticed once the new Element was built up was how slick it looked with all the internal cable routing. One point of complaint I had regarding the MSL was the dropper post cable, no matter how I routed it, always seemed to be getting in the way either if the rear wheel or the linkage. On my RSL there is now internal cable routing for the dropper post and this solved that problem nicely.

After a quick parking lot pedal (where everything felt pretty good) I promptly packed the bike onto my truck to take it to Whistler for it’s inaugural ride.

Ride One: Hey Bud
Pedaling up to the Hey Bud trail head gave me an opportunity to fiddle with my cockpit and generally get a feel for the bike, first thing I noticed was I felt like I was sitting so much higher. Now I am not a particularly tall persona, I come in at 5’4” on a good day, so the additional “height” I was feeling on the bike 2 was concerning for me. (for the record the BB height on the 26 and the 29 is the same so the issue was not the bigger wheels)

Downhill, The bike originally had a Fox 34 Talas on the front with 140mm - 110mm travel, I played with it a few times on the descent, The geometry felt overall better in the lower position (but for anyone who has ever run a talas in the lower position knows) the fork itself felt a lot better in it’s extended position.

Overall the bike felt good and responsive, however I was finding when I came to the steep sections of the descent I found my body position to far back on the bike. As for the wheels, this was going to take a little getting used to!

Specs
Frame: Element 999 RSL
Fork: Fox 34 float 110mm
Shock: Fox Float CTD
Wheelset: Chris King rear & Stans front hubs laced to Stans ZTR Arch rims
Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic (front) Maxxis Icon (rear)
Drive train: XTR Cranks, pedals, chain cassette with XT derailer
Brakes: XT M785 with Magura rotors

Riding

After my initial couple of rides and consultation with a knowledgeable friend I made a few adjustments to the bike. I swapped out the riser bar and Thompson stem for a road bike stem in a dropped position and a flat bar. I also had the Talas converted to a Float and had it dropped to 110mm.

The drop over the front end gave me the control I was missing on my initial ride and turned the bike from being alright (but almost wish I’d kept my MSL) to down right sweet. To test my new found confidence I took the bike on a Pemberton epic which involved climbing Happy Nimby middle Earth and the Owl connector so I could then head down Jack the Ripper and Cream Puff. Having done the same climb the previous year on my Element, this is where the 29er shines, or at least feels a little bit like cheating. For each pedal stroke you put in you go just that little bit further and on a long climb like i was putting it through it makes all the difference in how you feel at the top.

Come descending It is not as Nimble as it’s 26” counterpart, but that shouldn’t take away from it’s being a very capable downhill bike, the larger wheels and setup of the bike mean it feels a little more like you are positioned between the wheels (well maybe only if you are short) rather than above them, and I found it rolled effortlessly over the aggressive terrain on the JTR and Cream Puff descents.

Conclusion
I have had a solid 30+ rides on this bike now, and so far find that it is a very capable “Do Most Things” (aka All Mountain) bike, light enough to race in Marathon XC but it also capable and fun to ride on Shore and Whistler Style XC/AM loops.

Big wheels are not for everyone and definitely not for every style of riding. But for climbing it wins hands down for me every time, for some of the more twisting and technical descents I think I still prefer the nimbleness of the 26” wheel but at the same time, it’s not like I find the 29” wheel to be a huge disadvantage.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone ~ Neale Donald Walsch

Last edited by AussieDreamZ; 07-03-2013 at 01:24 AM.
AussieDreamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #13
Feral
Your suck goes to 11..

Feral has achieved FLOW.Feral has achieved FLOW.Feral has achieved FLOW.Feral has achieved FLOW.Feral has achieved FLOW.Feral has achieved FLOW.Feral has achieved FLOW.Feral has achieved FLOW.Feral has achieved FLOW.Feral has achieved FLOW.Feral has achieved FLOW.

Knolly Delirium: 2ply Supertacky 2.35" Maxxis Minion and 2.25" Exo Maxxis Ardent
Chromag Stylus: 2.35" Bontrager Big Earl and 2.25" Maxxis Crossmark
Knolly V-Tach: 2.5" Maxxis Minons, DHF and DHR

Yes. A few years ago while riding in Moab, I destroyed the sidewall on my Maxxis Aspen and decided to take the plunge on a clearance priced Specialized Eskar 2.2. It wasn't a great tire, but wasn't bad either, and I've been running it off and on for the past several years, mostly when the trails dry up enough to be dusty, where this tire seems to shine.

3. How often do you ride, and what are the conditions like on your home trail network?

I'm on parental leave from work at the moment, and I'm lucky that my wife works mostly in the afternoons, leaving mornings for me to ride. Before the tropical heatwave showed up, I was averaging a 15-20k ride every two or three days. My main trail venues are Cumberland, Forbidden Plateau and Snowden. It's a little difficult to classify them as either wet, rooty or rocky, as conditions change with the weather and with individual trails. Cumberland has a lot of newer trails that have been built through clearcut areas, and some of these tend to be fast and flowy, however there are a lot of old-school roots trails that can challenge tires when wet. Forbidden is often dry and dusty in the summer months, with steep rock faces that require riders to have absolute faith in the grip of their tires. Snowden has a vast network of trails that can give you a mix of all conditions in a single day, however roots and slippery rocks are predominant on the trails I frequent.

My fall-back options that have worked for me in the past are Continental Trail Kings or Maxxis Minions for the front, and Maxxis Crossmarks or Ardents for the rear. Right now I'm very curious about the Hans Dampfs and the newer Specialized offerings like the Butchers and Purgatories, however I've had a difficult time finding the tires I want in stock in my local shops.

I'll pick up a complete set of tires every year or so.

6. Gear review

When I picked up my Chromag Stylus frame, I was pretty set on building it up with a 1x10 drivetrain. I knew that I would have issues with chain retention even with my single-ring specific 34t Chromag chainring, so I looked into chainguides while keeping a few factors in mind. I wasn't sure how well my legs would handle the 34tx11-36 drivetrain, so adjustability was key in case I needed to go down to a smaller chainring. It needed to be burly enough to survive multiple Forbidden Plateau shuttles, with available replacement parts for the inevitable day that I broke something. Finally, it couldn't break the bank. The top candidate was the MRP Mini G2.

With my new chainguide in hand, I went home to do the install. I bought the steel backplate ISCG-05 model to take advantage of the integral tabs on my Stylus, which was a good choice as it made installation very simple. I removed the cranks, bolted the chainguide to the ISCG tabs, opened the top guide to run the chain, and then re-installed the cranks. From there it took maybe 5 minutes of shimming the backplate out a little, then adjusting the height of the top guide and angle of the bottom guide before I was ready to torque everything down for good. In total the installation took less than 15 minutes, including a test ride around the neighbourhood to make sure everything was running smoothly.

Overview

Fast-forward 12 months. I haven't dropped my chain once, even after multiple punishment runs down Mt Washington and Whistler, and there has only been one small performance issue. The chainguide is still smooth and quiet, and the bearing on the jockey wheel still turns without resistance. A crash did require me to bend the upper arm of the backplate back into position (easy and worry free with steel), but there have been no other alignment issues. At some point in the last couple of months I managed to break part of the the plastic lower guide, although as the skid plate wasn't damaged I'm tempted to say that shuttling rather than riding was the culprit. As can be seen in the bottom picture, the jockey wheel is still attached, and the chainguide still works as advertised, but the cover plate is no longer there. Luckily this is an inexpensive part (as is the replaceable skid plate) that can be ordered through your LBS or online.

Tis but a scratch!

At the end of the day, I wanted a simple chainguide that would hold up to some abuse. What I ended up with is a well-designed component that I don't have to fiddle with. One less thing to worry about means that much more time on the bike, and for that reason and the other points raised above I highly recommend the MRP Mini G2 for anyone looking for an adjustable chainguide for their 1x9 or 1x10 drivetrain.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #14
TeCeBe

TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.TeCeBe has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeCeBe View Post

Front - 29x2.25 Maxxis Ardent
Rear - 29x2.1 Maxxis Crossmark

These are being run on a Chromag Surface. Its my one and only bike for actual trail riding.

Last year I ran a 26x2.25 Crossmark in the rear and a 2.35 Larsen or 2.4 Ardent in the front on a Giant Trance.

Nope. But I would like to give them a try, especially after reading the favourable reviews of late. I've become a bit of a Maxxis fan over the years and become reluctant to buy anything else.

3. How often do you ride, and what are the conditions like on your home trail network? (i.e. wet, rooty, rocky, smooth and fast, etc

2-4 days a week in Whistler, BC. Local trails are a mix of it all, except for smooth, there isn't a lot of smooth. Is it All Mountain or XC? I will leave that to the marketing department, but there is a ribbon of dirt and rock and you ride your bike on it. Trail riding sounds about right to me. I tend to keep my wheels on the ground unless things have gone horribly wrong. I don't believe I have ever shuttled and I rarely put my bike in or on a vehicle riding door to door.

Maxxis 29x2.35 High Roller 2
Maxxis 29x2.4 Ardent
Specialized 29x2.3 Butcher/Purgatory/Ground Control
Conti 2.4 MK2

I am looking for something with more beef but still want them to roll well and not weigh a ton. I have loose plans to get a new front tire and put the Ardent on the back but haven't got around to it yet.

Someone once told me you had to use new ones every time! I couldn't afford that so I just keep using them until there worn out.

Okay okay, I will play by the rules. What we have here is a Kid Kool BMX. Check it out, it is very much in vogue.

1x drivetrain - check
Colour matched wheels & fork - check
Flat pedals for All Mountain rowdy - check
Streamers - check
Lady Bug bell - check

Now this NSMB forum test is for tires. Look at these engineering marvels. Somehow the folks at Kenda have managed to create a tire that is not only fast rolling, has amazing traction and super light, but they are also ideal for layin down badass skids in the driveway. These also come in the uber popular 12er wheel size. Be warned though, these tires are quite possibly the hardest tires to mount I have ever encountered. It literally took about 20 minutes and at one point I thought I was going to loose a finger.

Check out the thought that went into this tread design.

Amazing. But it is all worth it.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Yeah, I just played the kid stoke card.
TeCeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #15
fullmast

fullmast has achieved FLOW.fullmast has achieved FLOW.fullmast has achieved FLOW.fullmast has achieved FLOW.fullmast has achieved FLOW.fullmast has achieved FLOW.fullmast has achieved FLOW.fullmast has achieved FLOW.fullmast has achieved FLOW.fullmast has achieved FLOW.fullmast has achieved FLOW.
For consideration by members of the “Academy”

1. Currently using 26 x 2.2 Specialized Purgatory Control F, 26 x 2.25 Maxxis Ardent R. Recently converted to tubeless and still waving the 26” freak flag high!

2. Yes! Ran the first generation Ground Controls as well as the (at that time) freakishly huge Ground Control 2.5’s. Took me 20+ years to run the big S again.

3. 3-5 rides a week, year round. North Shore resident: Roots¬, Rocks, Dry, Mostly not. Fair amount of time spent in the Sea to Sky and Southern Interior of BC

4. Hmm… Lots of good words about Schwalbe

5. New rubber purchases generally occur when the old rubber finally wears to near smooth or the casing gives out. Which ever happens first, about a year.

6. I would love to tell you how well my current set of rubber behaved on a wonderful day at Sumas. How conditions were quite varied and demanded versatility. But I’m not.

I’m going to tell you about something else that is almost equally important to a bike ride. The post-ride celebratory beverage, more specifically, the vessel that said beverage(s) is consumed from.

Currently I have a Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Imperial IPA contained within a Riedel “O” Series Shiraz/Syrah glass: the ultimate in snooty versatility. Sure I started the post-ride celebration with a real beer glass and then moved naturally to a generously poured martini but eventually all things adult beverage lead to wine. That wine will inevitably lead to a return to beer.

Not only does said vessel more than capably contain and enhance several varietals of the bolder red grapes, it truly shines with its versatility as a malted beverage dispenser as well. As a serious hop-head I wonder at it’s ability to concentrate the floral aromas of a solid W. Coast IPA as well as deliver it to my palate smoothly and precisely.

It’s not just IPA’s that the “O” Syrah/Shiraz glass shines, stronger more fragrant Belgian Abbey ales benefit from the large “tulip” shape as well as concentrating the complex flavor profiles of Lambics and Flanders Red/Brown styles as well.

Downsides: A few

Lager styles save for the heavier bocks don’t benefit too much from the shape and subsequent concentration of aromas and may deliver the liquid too far to the back of the mouth/tongue.

Cost/Durablity: Spendy and Breaky! However being stem-less helps with tip over prevention.

Volume: While perfect for generous pours of its intended beverage and 330-355ml cans and bottles, the Syrah/Shiraz glass has just enough volume to accept all 650ml of carefully poured bombers that are the current trend of the craft brewing industry.

Conclusion: The Riedel “O” Syrah/Shiraz glass is fabulous post-ride beverage container. Excellent versatility for stronger more aromatic creations however dangerous enough to completely undo all of the good that the ride that led to the beverages accomplished.

On that note, my glass appears to be empty…

* I would have posted a gear shot or two but it’s about 4 hours since I started the test pours and I’m having a hard enough time focusing let alone trying to use a camera.
fullmast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mtb tires, nsmb forum testing, specialized bicycles, specialized tires, tire testing
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: