Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Ride Planning and Tales > Race Forum

Race Forum Everything and anything about the race scene.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
nick
www.epiccyclist.com

nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW.
Sunshine coaster

Anybody ever do the XC marathon? I've riden the sunshine coast but can't say I know that course very well. How does it compare the the Nimby or TOM? Will be riding it for the first time this weekend, any info would be great.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
FlipFantasia
sure, whatever

FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.
ah sweet, they're still using a stolen picture of mine on their website from the NIMBY 50's first year, complete with watermark cropped out
FlipFantasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
AussieDreamZ
WoooHooo!!!

AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW.
I see they have finally posted up the course map here

Also riding it for the first time this Saturday. For some reason I thought signing up for "the Works" would be fun!

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone ~ Neale Donald Walsch
AussieDreamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
lycra_wearer

lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Anybody ever do the XC marathon? I've riden the sunshine coast but can't say I know that course very well. How does it compare the the Nimby or TOM? Will be riding it for the first time this weekend, any info would be great.
good luck Nick

have fun
lycra_wearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
lycra_wearer

lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW. lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDreamZ View Post
I see they have finally posted up the course map here

Also riding it for the first time this Saturday. For some reason I thought signing up for "the Works" would be fun!
looks like more fire road descending than single track descending. wicked fun climbs though
Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
nick
www.epiccyclist.com

nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW.
How's the start? big climb? Not sure what to expect... Are you riding it this year Scot?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
AussieDreamZ
WoooHooo!!!

AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW. AussieDreamZ has achieved FLOW.
You made me curious so here is the elevation profile from the file on the SSCer website

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone ~ Neale Donald Walsch
AussieDreamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
Sharon

Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW.
Rode some of the trails on Sunday. It was wet! Should be a fun race. But ya, lots of road.

It will be more of a fitness race for sure.

Less technical then Nimby 50, similar to TOM in technical I would say - minus the plunge.

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Check out Canadian Cartel - A canadian mail order company.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
lycra_wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
How's the start? big climb? Not sure what to expect... Are you riding it this year Scot?
grindy easy climb - little intro lap
descend black tower (ending int he pile-up/run across the two bridges or ride through the creek)
longish (heart racing still close to the start, establishing position, passing the rabbits that have blown) single track climb up pumpkin patch
middle ring + climb up the roads to dudes bypass
then a lot of consistent climbing with punchy steeps thrown in and few short descents and rolling singletrack interspersed with the middle chainring road climbs.

think nutrition on the roads sections, particularly the climbs in the first 1/2 of the race. too hard to do it on the singletrack (and the singletrack sections (after the start) aren't very long, and you'll need the calories over the top and then again on the descent.

I'm not doing it this year, SFAIK, I'm only racing the Nimby this year.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
taprider
West Coast Racer

taprider has achieved FLOW. taprider has achieved FLOW. taprider has achieved FLOW. taprider has achieved FLOW. taprider has achieved FLOW. taprider has achieved FLOW. taprider has achieved FLOW. taprider has achieved FLOW. taprider has achieved FLOW. taprider has achieved FLOW. taprider has achieved FLOW.
its good training for the Nimby
Coaster single track is not as poodle pathy as the Test, its still natural surfaced with roots, logs and organic matter
taprider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #11
PUNKY
Ginger Hacks

PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW.
I started to ride the short course last Sunday.

That said if I get my Surface running I might do the 25km on Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarklewis View Post
ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.
PUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
Tom

Tom has achieved FLOW. Tom has achieved FLOW. Tom has achieved FLOW. Tom has achieved FLOW. Tom has achieved FLOW. Tom has achieved FLOW. Tom has achieved FLOW. Tom has achieved FLOW. Tom has achieved FLOW. Tom has achieved FLOW. Tom has achieved FLOW.
I'll be racing the marathon for the first time this year...stoked!
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
PUNKY
Ginger Hacks

PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW.
Anyone doing the double down this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarklewis View Post
ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.
PUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
Kevin26
po-ta-toes

Kevin26 has achieved FLOW. Kevin26 has achieved FLOW. Kevin26 has achieved FLOW. Kevin26 has achieved FLOW. Kevin26 has achieved FLOW. Kevin26 has achieved FLOW. Kevin26 has achieved FLOW. Kevin26 has achieved FLOW. Kevin26 has achieved FLOW. Kevin26 has achieved FLOW. Kevin26 has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via MSN to Kevin26
Doing the DH... Room for improvement after losing my chain and posting a 3:50 something last year.. think I was slowest citizen 19-29 that didn't crash lol

Last edited by Kevin26; 05-03-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Kevin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #15
chrisc

chrisc has achieved FLOW. chrisc has achieved FLOW. chrisc has achieved FLOW. chrisc has achieved FLOW. chrisc has achieved FLOW. chrisc has achieved FLOW. chrisc has achieved FLOW. chrisc has achieved FLOW. chrisc has achieved FLOW. chrisc has achieved FLOW. chrisc has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin26 View Post
Doing the DH... Room for improvement after losing my chain and posting a 3:50 something last year.. think I was slowest citizen 19-29 that didn't crash lol
Dont worry. Im racing it this year.
chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: