Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #46
Fast Orange
pinko

Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Tack View Post
Well it sure sounds like one.
Which one? A challenge or a shithole?
II'd recommend spending some time seeing a place with your own eyes before labeling it as anything.

At least nobody here shouts at me to get off the road. That used to happen regularly in Vancouver.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #47
tacklebox
red dragon

tacklebox has achieved FLOW. tacklebox has achieved FLOW. tacklebox has achieved FLOW. tacklebox has achieved FLOW. tacklebox has achieved FLOW. tacklebox has achieved FLOW. tacklebox has achieved FLOW. tacklebox has achieved FLOW. tacklebox has achieved FLOW. tacklebox has achieved FLOW. tacklebox has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Orange View Post
Which one? A challenge or a shithole?
II'd recommend spending some time seeing a place with your own eyes before labeling it as anything.
Id actually like to cruise the rural areas by motorcycle one day..
Quote:
At least nobody here shouts at me to get off the road. That used to happen regularly in Vancouver.
No,but youve posted about how they stage accidents and try to extort folks,run over babies and pretend it never happened,ignore dead folks in public spaces to avoid "a hassle",drive with absolutely no semblance of order,respect or acknowledgement of others .....makes even LA sound like shangri-la
tacklebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #48
Fast Orange
pinko

Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW. Fast Orange has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Tack View Post
Id actually like to cruise the rural areas by motorcycle one day..

No,but youve posted about how they stage accidents and try to extort folks,run over babies and pretend it never happened,ignore dead folks in public spaces to avoid "a hassle",drive with absolutely no semblance of order,respect or acknowledgement of others .....makes even LA sound like shangri-la
Yep a lot of shitty stuff and people being shitty to each other for sure. But the positives of living here (which you never seem interested in hearing about) for me outweigh all of that, and as Shirk said, I can ride my bike like its a game of GTA.

I understand though, you want to live somewhere clean, safe, quiet and comfortable. I don't, I think that's boring.

Now can we stop jacking this thread?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #49
Duncan
My name is not nousefora

Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walleater View Post
Yep, so it makes a shit load of sense for everyone to ride in the same direction! If I ever have to ride over there again, I'm going to copy a certain person on here and slap my 780mm bars on my commuter.
The sidewalk is a 2-way for bike traffic, with direction against road traffic direction yielding to oncoming bikes. Look it up - that's the rule set by the City of Vancouver. If you are one of those wobbly dobblies you should have learned to ride in a straight line before you took your training wheels off.
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #50
bmor
Hello my name is

bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW.
I figure the decent thing to do is to yield to the rider who has the gravitational flow. Just like on the trail. Bylaws are merely guidelines ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
The sidewalk is a 2-way for bike traffic, with direction against road traffic direction yielding to oncoming bikes. Look it up - that's the rule set by the City of Vancouver. If you are one of those wobbly dobblies you should have learned to ride in a straight line before you took your training wheels off.
bmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:12 AM   #51
Fast Orange
pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmor View Post
I figure the decent thing to do is to yield to the rider who has the gravitational flow. Just like on the trail. Bylaws are merely guidelines ;-)
the decent thing to do is yield to the climber, trail or otherwise.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:13 AM   #52
Duncan
My name is not nousefora

Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
There are City signs with at both ends of the bridge facing the appropriate directions telling you when and where to yield to oncoming bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Orange View Post
the decent thing to do is yield to the climber, trail or otherwise.
Yielding to climber is the rule ... its easy to stop and start on a downhill, much less so on an uphill, especially on a road bike. But really, its no problem to pull over and let someone pass you coming the other way, up hill or downhill on the Second Narrows Bridge.

Last edited by Duncan; 03-31-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #53
morgman
probably on bottletop

morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW.
In my first couple weeks commuting from North Van to Burnaby I quickly learned that not only is against-traffic riding on the 2nd Narrows not really accepted by the regulars, but it fucking sucks. Every time a truck or bus passes, you are assaulted with a wave of sand and dirt; on that southbound climb, that can be a lot of holding your breath and closing your eyes. Getting yelled at by the yellow jacket committee combined with the sandstorms was enough for me to find the best ways to approach the with-traffic side of the bridge from both ends. Because the regulars know the unwritten code, you run into a lot less oncoming cyclists on the "right" sidewalk.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #54
walleater

walleater has achieved FLOW. walleater has achieved FLOW. walleater has achieved FLOW. walleater has achieved FLOW. walleater has achieved FLOW. walleater has achieved FLOW. walleater has achieved FLOW. walleater has achieved FLOW. walleater has achieved FLOW. walleater has achieved FLOW. walleater has achieved FLOW.
I guess it is a sensitive issue to me (plus a good experiment seeing how wound up cyclists get, yet we can bitch about motorists like they are a different species....) due to some fucktard wearing fake Swiss road team clothing riding straight at me one time when I was going uphill in the same direction as any driver or sensible cyclist. He pretty well just barged into me with an 'ELITE RIDER COMING THROUGH' look on his face. Shame I'm so mild mannered in real life as I really should have punched the cunt in the face.
walleater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #55
syncro
sardonic bliss

Location: beyond the realm of the here and now in the what is and formerly what was
syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkee View Post
Electric bikes - TRAVESTY I have no idea why but they make me mad
yeah! first 29'er with their bigger wheels that roll easy and now electric street bikes. wtf is next electric mtn bikes promo'd by norona?!?!?
syncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #56
bmor
Hello my name is

bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW.
How much additional time is added taking the west side, when one needs to access the Cassiar line on the east side? I presume you loop around under the bridge then climb up to Cassiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgman View Post
In my first couple weeks commuting from North Van to Burnaby I quickly learned that not only is against-traffic riding on the 2nd Narrows not really accepted by the regulars, but it fucking sucks. Every time a truck or bus passes, you are assaulted with a wave of sand and dirt; on that southbound climb, that can be a lot of holding your breath and closing your eyes. Getting yelled at by the yellow jacket committee combined with the sandstorms was enough for me to find the best ways to approach the with-traffic side of the bridge from both ends. Because the regulars know the unwritten code, you run into a lot less oncoming cyclists on the "right" sidewalk.
bmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #57
Dave K
Miserable ovoid creature

Dave K has achieved FLOW. Dave K has achieved FLOW. Dave K has achieved FLOW. Dave K has achieved FLOW. Dave K has achieved FLOW. Dave K has achieved FLOW. Dave K has achieved FLOW. Dave K has achieved FLOW. Dave K has achieved FLOW. Dave K has achieved FLOW. Dave K has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
How much additional time is added taking the west side, when one needs to access the Cassiar line on the east side? I presume you loop around under the bridge then climb up to Cassiar.
Yup. You take that little switchbacked bike path down and then you cross under the bridge via Bridgeway St (riding on the sidewalk against traffic! GASP!!). Once under the bridge you cross Bridgeway to get back to the Cassiar bike lane.

It doesn't add much time if you are heading to the south on the Cassiar bikeway. If you are taking the Trans Canada trail east, then it adds a few minutes of pedaling (and an extra small climb) compared to riding south over the east side of the bridge.
Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #58
Hola-Day

Hola-Day has achieved FLOW. Hola-Day has achieved FLOW. Hola-Day has achieved FLOW. Hola-Day has achieved FLOW. Hola-Day has achieved FLOW. Hola-Day has achieved FLOW. Hola-Day has achieved FLOW. Hola-Day has achieved FLOW. Hola-Day has achieved FLOW. Hola-Day has achieved FLOW. Hola-Day has achieved FLOW.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hgCqz3l33kU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Check this out, I cant figure out how to embed it so click on Youtube link. Very Funny.
Hola-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #59
morgman
probably on bottletop

morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
As Dave K said, or blast the curb for some highway offramp hooning depending on traffic and where you're going. I stopped worrying about how much time it added, because the shitty experience of going head on into the sand – especially in the wet – just wasn't worth it to me.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:25 AM   #60
Duncan
My name is not nousefora

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgman View Post
Don't know what you are talking about ... been crossing that bridge on a bike 200+ times a year for 14 years and have hardly ever had a problem. Do you wear riding glasses? You need them for the bridge. Can count on one hand the number of times I've had direction problems. The people who bitch about the rules seem to be clueless newbies ... and if they have a problem tell them to follow the signs or call the City of Vancouver and bitch to them if they don't like the rules. The sidewalk actually can accommodate 2 riders side by side (by a whisker) if you can hold your line.
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: