Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Ride Planning and Tales > Race Forum

Race Forum Everything and anything about the race scene.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #31
connor
Freetarded

connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.
People are being pretty dramatic..

I haven't done it, is it worse than this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbad
Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.
connor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #32
BJC

BJC has achieved FLOW.BJC has achieved FLOW.BJC has achieved FLOW.BJC has achieved FLOW.BJC has achieved FLOW.BJC has achieved FLOW.BJC has achieved FLOW.BJC has achieved FLOW.BJC has achieved FLOW.BJC has achieved FLOW.BJC has achieved FLOW.
OK then, signed up. If I do even half the riding I am dreaming of doing I'll be sweet!

Cheers, Ben
BJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #33
clarklewis
www.seatoskyenduro.com

clarklewis has achieved FLOW.clarklewis has achieved FLOW.clarklewis has achieved FLOW.clarklewis has achieved FLOW.clarklewis has achieved FLOW.clarklewis has achieved FLOW.clarklewis has achieved FLOW.clarklewis has achieved FLOW.clarklewis has achieved FLOW.clarklewis has achieved FLOW.clarklewis has achieved FLOW.
no one's being dramatic. its not a hard bike ride if you take 4 hrs and walk up sphincter/econoline (which is hard but rideable).
its a hard race, like finishing near the front and cleaning everything.
clarklewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #34
SixZeroSixOne

SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.
I plotted the approx route out on my gps and lap 1 was ~12 km and 350m climbing, lap 2 was ~15km and 600m climbing.

Note: this was not actually riding course so these figures don't take into account every twist and turn or micro-climb so are indicative only

(Im assuming lap 1 is Sphinctor/Dark Forest and lap 2 is Happy/Nimby/Overnight - the map isnt clear)
SixZeroSixOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #35
shirk

shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.
Looking at the map I am a bit confused.

Ride the road up to Radio Tower, then the gravel over to Happy, Waco, Nimby climb. Down Overnight, then out to Sphincter, Econiline, and No Err. Finish off with Ramble, Mody and Dark Forest?

Connor I think the course was changed for the Pemby 4Q's day from what that profile shows.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #36
SixZeroSixOne

SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.SixZeroSixOne has achieved FLOW.
Shirk...I think the laps are the other way around as someone said theres a 3hr cut off at Overnight.
SixZeroSixOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #37
Lo-Rider

Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.
Shirk has the course correct. You ride 2km from the farm (on Hwy 99) to the gravel road. Up the gravel road to Radio Tower, back down lower end of the gravel road and across to Happy Trail > Waco > NIMBY > Let it Go to paraglide launch. Down new trail to road that takes you to Overnight, then out to Sphincter, Econoline (backwards), then up and down No Err, and finish off with Ramble On, Moby Dick and what's left of Dark Forest (it was logged in the spring - we are considering a few possibilities as a replacement). Then back along the Hwy to the farm (2km).

Course play by play here.
Lo-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #38
Lo-Rider

Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.Lo-Rider has achieved FLOW.
In response to Connor who referenced the map of the 4Queens Pemby stage, and asked the question "is it worse than this?" I'd like to share my view. I was a racer in the 4Q (and 4Jacks) and I am one of the three race directors of NIMBY Fifty.

I would have to say that NIMBY Fifty is by a small margin "easier" (and I mean that in the most relative sense) than the 4Queens route, but only because the 4Q course included the ascent up Middle Earth and descent down Gravatron/Gravatrout as well as the full descent down Stimulus. Whereas NIMBY Fifty does not get quite as gnarly as those two descents.

Although some of the trails are similar, the routes are way different from one another. The overall course topography and general "race pace" of each one was/is very different. NIMBY Fifty is definitely more accessible to a wider margin of riders, nevertheless, it's not for the total novice rider who wants to try a bike race.

Both courses are totally doable by anyone who puts in a decent amount of riding time in preparation and can handle the trails of the Shore or Sea to Sky. It's not to say you will win or come within the top xx places, but in both cases you can totally complete either route - you will be challenged, you will likely cry in pain and you will scream with excitement. What a freakin great way to spend the day!

To use the term "worse" (as Connor's question did) implies that this is all bad, where in fact all we're really talking about here is some damn good mountain biking. We're talking about huge amounts of wicked single track ups and downs, packed into one big day. Two words: pace yourself. And you'll have fun. You'll certainly be knackered, but you'll survive and you'll look back on it fondly and with pride.

Just get out there and do a whole bunch of climbing on single track before you show up on May 26th. See you there.

Last edited by Lo-Rider; 02-16-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Lo-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #39
shirk

shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.shirk has achieved FLOW.
Signed up.

Time to start putting in miles.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #40
lycra_wearer

lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW.lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW.lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW.lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW.lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW.lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW.lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW.lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW.lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW.lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW.lycra_wearer has achieved FLOW.
i was on a hard tail and hated the final 2km (is that all?) of pavement....
lycra_wearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #41
FlipFantasia
sure, whatever

FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirk View Post
Signed up.

Time to start putting in miles.
sell out
FlipFantasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #42
JCL

JCL has achieved FLOW.JCL has achieved FLOW.JCL has achieved FLOW.JCL has achieved FLOW.JCL has achieved FLOW.JCL has achieved FLOW.JCL has achieved FLOW.JCL has achieved FLOW.JCL has achieved FLOW.JCL has achieved FLOW.JCL has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor View Post
People are being pretty dramatic..

I haven't done it, is it worse than this?

\\

The reason that day was tough is because it was a billion degrees.

- Morgman
JCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:02 AM   #43
nick
www.epiccyclist.com

nick has achieved FLOW.nick has achieved FLOW.nick has achieved FLOW.nick has achieved FLOW.nick has achieved FLOW.nick has achieved FLOW.nick has achieved FLOW.nick has achieved FLOW.nick has achieved FLOW.nick has achieved FLOW.nick has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycra_wearer View Post
i was on a hard tail and hated the final 2km (is that all?) of pavement....
and single speed you crazy mofo!
Old 02-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #44
FlipFantasia
sure, whatever

FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
\\

The reason that day was tough is because it was a billion degrees.
yeah, it wasn't nearly as tough as the Flank Fest of the Jacks....now that was hellish
FlipFantasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #45
connor
Freetarded

connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFantasia View Post
yeah, it wasn't nearly as tough as the Flank Fest of the Jacks....now that was hellish
yeah i think i felt worse after that. loonie sized blisters on both feet didn't help.
connor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurtfesst 2012, nimby fifty, nimby50, nodody trained, pemberton, red bull downtime
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: