Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Different Bikes
RIDE MORE

Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW.
Public Service Announcement:

PSA: Bike parts wear out faster when subjected to winter riding conditions...

Fork seals... Drivetrains... Bearings...

Brake Pads:

Love your bike: Check your brake pads

-dbNV

Old 02-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
IFO
Cove STD goodness...Yummy

IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW.
PHHFTT..

theres plenty of life left in those..

IFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
CraigH
Tear it all out!

CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW.
We need a pic of the matching rotor.

The rider didn't notice the noise or the lack of braking ability?
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
megrim

megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW.
Craig, that looks worn to factory spec. Either way, it's still under warrantee, right?
megrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
Different Bikes
RIDE MORE

Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW. Different Bikes has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
We need a pic of the matching rotor.
Good reminder. -Most- manufacturers recommend you replace your rotor at 1.6mm (1.8mm is the standard width for -most- new rotors). Thinner then ~1.4mm we have seen catastrophic failure under braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
The rider didn't notice the noise or the lack of braking ability?
You know how it is... slow degradation of performance... it's like when you ride your fork until the annodizing rubs off the inside of the stanctions and milky grey oil is bubbling out of the seals... how do you really know when to service it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by megrim View Post
Craig, that looks worn to factory spec. Either way, it's still under warrantee, right?
Would you believe the folks at Shimano don't consider the wear on those pads to be a manufacturer's defect???

Last edited by Different Bikes; 02-13-2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: ++++Sarcasm
Different Bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Different Bikes
RIDE MORE

PSA #2

PSA #2 in our series of bike maintenance pitfalls to avoid...

-Ungreased interfaces where STEEL meets ALUMINUM - WILL - Seize!

(No DT 440 hubs {aluminum shell, steel star-ratchet drive capture} and, thankfully, no mechanics were actually harmed in the creation of these photos...)

-dbNV
Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
dawnchairy

dawnchairy has achieved FLOW. dawnchairy has achieved FLOW. dawnchairy has achieved FLOW. dawnchairy has achieved FLOW. dawnchairy has achieved FLOW. dawnchairy has achieved FLOW. dawnchairy has achieved FLOW. dawnchairy has achieved FLOW. dawnchairy has achieved FLOW. dawnchairy has achieved FLOW. dawnchairy has achieved FLOW.
Those pics are useless without a story. Or better yet several stories. Here's mine:

An angry shop mechanic broke this clamp over the head of one of our sales representatives who had continued to promise customers next day service without first checking with the shop manager to find out if there was room in the schedule, or even if the parts were available.

Last edited by dawnchairy; 03-04-2012 at 09:35 PM.
dawnchairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
bogey

bogey has achieved FLOW. bogey has achieved FLOW. bogey has achieved FLOW. bogey has achieved FLOW. bogey has achieved FLOW. bogey has achieved FLOW. bogey has achieved FLOW. bogey has achieved FLOW. bogey has achieved FLOW. bogey has achieved FLOW. bogey has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Different Bikes View Post
PSA #2 in our series of bike maintenance pitfalls to avoid...

-Ungreased interfaces where STEEL meets ALUMINUM - WILL - Seize!

(No DT 440 hubs {aluminum shell, steel star-ratchet drive capture} and, thankfully, no mechanics were actually harmed in the creation of these photos...)

-dbNV
The fact that you were using a Mastercraft vise was the biggest problem. That sucker likely would have imploded even if it wasn't seized!
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Different Bikes
RIDE MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey View Post
The fact that you were using a Mastercraft vise was the biggest problem. That sucker likely would have imploded even if it wasn't seized!
In all fairness to Canadian Tire, it has served us well for about 5-years.

We are going to take it back?! : JRA (Just wRenching Along) right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnchairy View Post
Those pics are useless without a story. Or better yet several stories. Here's mine:

An angry shop mechanic broke this clamp over the head of one of our sales representatives who had continued to promise customers next day service without first checking with the shop manager to find out if there was room in the schedule, or even if the parts were available.
I always laugh when I hear stories like this; I remember the first time (~19 years old) I took a Klein with (the worst) internal cable routing (ever) back into the shop after the customer had already pulled all the cable and housing out of it.

#7 (the seventh "lead" mechanic in ~1.5 years) wanted to act out a similar scenario to the one you imagined(possibly also because I was always calling him #7: "I am not a number, I AM A HUMAN BEING!!!")

I have been VERY fortunate to have worked most my adult life in the bike industry and never (again) to have worked in a mechanic:sales person relationship like the one you describe (although I've heard lots of similar stories) through multiple shops.

When it comes to dealing with mechanics (bike, auto, otherwise), and people in general, I have always found you get out what you put in when it comes to attitude.

Anyways, back to pictures of worn out bike stuff!

-Drew@NV

Last edited by Different Bikes; 03-05-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: "-"
Different Bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
pipeline

pipeline has achieved FLOW. pipeline has achieved FLOW. pipeline has achieved FLOW. pipeline has achieved FLOW. pipeline has achieved FLOW. pipeline has achieved FLOW. pipeline has achieved FLOW. pipeline has achieved FLOW. pipeline has achieved FLOW. pipeline has achieved FLOW. pipeline has achieved FLOW.
You should take it back. Pretty sure they have a lifetime warranty on their own name stuff. I have been having Gray and Mastercraft sockets replaced as I break them for years. This is from a socket set I was given when I was 16 (thanks Dad!). That was almost 30 years ago. (holy shit!)
pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #11
Different Bikes
RIDE MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
You should take it back. Pretty sure they have a lifetime warranty on their own name stuff. I have been having Gray and Mastercraft sockets replaced as I break them for years. This is from a socket set I was given when I was 16 (thanks Dad!). That was almost 30 years ago. (holy shit!)
To Canadian Tire's credit: Vice replaced No-Questions-Asked!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
Different Bikes
RIDE MORE

Amortize That!

The third in our series of Public Sermon... errr... Service Announcements!

Performance components last longer, and perform better, with a regular maintenance schedule.

We have a number of staff and customers with King hubs that have been instantly engaging for a decade.

Amortize that!

And service it once a year...

Tags
check your brake pads!!!
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: