Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Ride Planning and Tales > Lycra forum

Lycra forum Road/XC/Epic

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
Heathen
A displaced Islander.

Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW.
Steel Cross Bikes with Discs?

I am wondering if any companies make a steel cross frame or complete bike with discs?

I wish this bike had discs.

I know Both Brodie and Kona make bike like the Honky. But aren't they more commuter / trekking bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the flying moose View Post
fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Last edited by Heathen; 11-07-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
boomforeal
cycling based lifeform

boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW.
Was looking at this same question yesterday with morgman. Soma has a disc version of the double cross. Gunnar has the hyper x. There are others, look around. Google is your friend
boomforeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
Heathen
A displaced Islander.

Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW.
Soma looks good but it has Canti mounts. Is the Surly Disc Trucker a cross bike? Or just trekking? I don't understand how the Geo works with these bikes? What makes a Cross? Road ? Trekking?

Looks so sick!

Quote:
Old 11-07-2011, 05:05 AM   #4
boomforeal
cycling based lifeform

boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
Is the Surly Disc Trucker a cross bike?
what's a cross bike to you? the trucker will have a super-long wheelbase, low bb, likely rather heavy tubing and slack angles. i know people who have fun riding lht's offroad

looks like a surly
Old 11-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
morgman
probably on bottletop

morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW.
A touring bike will have a much longer front-centre measurement and much longer rear end resulting in a slow handling, slow accelerating bike. The Trucker is a dedicated touring bike, as much as the Commercial Drive crowd likes to talk up how great a commuter it is. For anyone who doesn't have a real tour planned (or likely), we steer them away from such a slow bike.

A classic cross bike will have a head angle of ~72-73º, a fork atc of ~400, a BB drop of ~65, and a rear end of 430 or shorter. (135 spaced rear ends necessitate a longer rear end; I'd prefer a 420 chainstay if I had the chance to be picky.) Brodie has the aluminum Ronin, which uses the same frame as the Romax AL but with a steel fork.

The Kona Honky Inc does appear to be a good option, though I would have to see the fork atc to know if it really is a cross bike and not a road disc bike. ***EDIT the fork is 401 atc, so that bike would indeed qualify. The Traitor Ruben is another road disc option, but it doesn't have much clearance for bigger tires and fenders.

I agree the vestigial canti mounts on the Soma DC are a bummer, but some people like that flexibility. Possibly out of budget, but Brodie also does have a Ti Romax with discs (if you can snag one) and Lynskey has two Ti disc cross bikes.

Last edited by morgman; 11-07-2011 at 05:20 AM. Reason: added Honky Inc atc
morgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #6
Heathen
A displaced Islander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
what's a cross bike to you?
Its not a matter of what I think a cross bike is. I want a Steel Cross bike with discs. What makes a cross bike?

Quote:
Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #7
Heathen
A displaced Islander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgman View Post
A touring bike will have a much longer front-centre measurement and much longer rear end resulting in a slow handling, slow accelerating bike. The Trucker is a dedicated touring bike, as much as the Commercial Drive crowd likes to talk up how great a commuter it is. For anyone who doesn't have a real tour planned (or likely), we steer them away from such a slow bike.

A classic cross bike will have a head angle of ~72-73º, a fork atc of ~400, a BB drop of ~65, and a rear end of 430 or shorter. (135 spaced rear ends necessitate a longer rear end; I'd prefer a 420 chainstay if I had the chance to be picky.) Brodie has the aluminum Ronin, which uses the same frame as the Romax AL but with a steel fork.

The Kona Honky Inc does appear to be a good option, though I would have to see the fork atc to know if it really is a cross bike and not a road disc bike. ***EDIT the fork is 401 atc, so that bike would indeed qualify. The Traitor Ruben is another road disc option, but it doesn't have much clearance for bigger tires and fenders.

I agree the vestigial canti mounts on the Soma DC are a bummer, but some people like that flexibility. Possibly out of budget, but Brodie also does have a Ti Romax with discs (if you can snag one) and Lynskey has two Ti disc cross bikes.

That is the money shot, Thanks

Quote:
Old 11-07-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
boomforeal
cycling based lifeform

Quote:
Its not a matter of what I think a cross bike is. I want a Steel Cross bike with discs. What makes a cross bike?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:32 AM   #9
morgman
probably on bottletop

morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
That is the money shot, Thanks
I really like that bike. The complete build is a 1x10 Sram with FSA all over it. Unfortunately the geo numbers don't really work for my personal fit needs; I'm basically between the 56 and the 59. Also, it barely clears modest cross knobbies.

I've basically decided the market doesn't have what I want right now in a cross bike, which is either a performance steel or carbon disc cross bike for not too much money, so I'm selling my cross bike and re-investing when the right bike comes along.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 AM   #10
Heathen
A displaced Islander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgman View Post
I really like that bike. The complete build is a 1x10 Sram with FSA all over it. Unfortunately the geo numbers don't really work for my personal fit needs; I'm basically between the 56 and the 59. Also, it barely clears modest cross knobbies.

I've basically decided the market doesn't have what I want right now in a cross bike, which is either a performance steel or carbon disc cross bike for not too much money, so I'm selling my cross bike and re-investing when the right bike comes along.
Blows that it has shitty tire clearance.

That industry is slow to catch up on the needs of some riders. I am 5'9ish how tall are you?

Quote:
Old 11-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #11
morgman
probably on bottletop

Quote:
Blows that it has shitty tire clearance.

That industry is slow to catch up on the needs of some riders. I am 5'9ish how tall are you?
Actually, looking at the fork, they have actually changed it since that low clearance issue. So it might fit big tires now.

I'm 6'0 and usually ride a 57-58 top tube with a big (~200mm incl headset) head tube. When I raced cross I ended up building strength over flexibility, so compact drops are my friend.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:10 AM   #12
RossputiN
revolutionario

RossputiN has achieved FLOW. RossputiN has achieved FLOW. RossputiN has achieved FLOW. RossputiN has achieved FLOW. RossputiN has achieved FLOW. RossputiN has achieved FLOW. RossputiN has achieved FLOW. RossputiN has achieved FLOW. RossputiN has achieved FLOW. RossputiN has achieved FLOW. RossputiN has achieved FLOW.
Correct me if I'm wrong (please), but isn't there a rule if you are going to compete in CX that you have to run canti brakes?
RossputiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #13
morgman
probably on bottletop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossputiN View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (please), but isn't there a rule if you are going to compete in CX that you have to run canti brakes?
That UCI rule was lifted for the 2010 season, but the market has yet to really catch on.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #14
boomforeal
cycling based lifeform

speaking of tire clearance...

Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #15
Heathen
A displaced Islander.

Cant make out what that tube says, who makes that?

Quote:
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: