Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Puck
S. of the Border Reporter

Puck has achieved FLOW. Puck has achieved FLOW. Puck has achieved FLOW. Puck has achieved FLOW. Puck has achieved FLOW. Puck has achieved FLOW. Puck has achieved FLOW. Puck has achieved FLOW. Puck has achieved FLOW. Puck has achieved FLOW. Puck has achieved FLOW.
Review: Fox 36 FLOAT 180 FIT RC2

Even though this fork's name is a serious mouthful, it's worth saying... over and over and over again.

You can check out why right here:

http://nsmb.com/4111-review-2011-fox...t-180-fit-rc2/

You know you want one. It's cool to admit it.

Grinding the beans between my teeth

Last edited by Puck; 01-03-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Znarf

Znarf has achieved FLOW. Znarf has achieved FLOW. Znarf has achieved FLOW. Znarf has achieved FLOW. Znarf has achieved FLOW. Znarf has achieved FLOW. Znarf has achieved FLOW. Znarf has achieved FLOW. Znarf has achieved FLOW. Znarf has achieved FLOW. Znarf has achieved FLOW.
Wow,

that seems like a really good product!

A review that good would make me think twice normally, BUT
I have had several 36 Floats and if you use them on the right bike for its intended use, they are hard to beat.

Greetings Znarf
Znarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Jeff M
User

Jeff M has achieved FLOW. Jeff M has achieved FLOW. Jeff M has achieved FLOW. Jeff M has achieved FLOW. Jeff M has achieved FLOW. Jeff M has achieved FLOW. Jeff M has achieved FLOW. Jeff M has achieved FLOW. Jeff M has achieved FLOW. Jeff M has achieved FLOW. Jeff M has achieved FLOW.
Damn, I want one of those so bad.
Jeff M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Karoliusz

Does anybody know what's the axle-to-crown height of this fork? Fox says it's super low but how low exactly?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
DarylMac
Born again Grom

DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW.
Great looking fork. Shame about that bike.

As the Owner of a 160mm Float RC2 I can attest to some of your comments about Fox's designs. The quick release is the best in the business. The damping controls (rebound & compression) due work extremely well with noticible adjustments within a few clicks... And of course the weight on the float forks is always a benefit.

|Something else I have noticed about Fox's forks is that they are incredibly reliable and low maintenance.

If I'm ever in the market for a 7" single crown fork this one will be at the top of the list. I'm intrigued to see what those kashima coated stanchions are all about!
DarylMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Bryce
Registered Abuser

Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW.
how far off a Totem or 66 is it in terms of stiffness?
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
GladePlayboy
Trailer Trash

GladePlayboy has achieved FLOW. GladePlayboy has achieved FLOW. GladePlayboy has achieved FLOW. GladePlayboy has achieved FLOW. GladePlayboy has achieved FLOW. GladePlayboy has achieved FLOW. GladePlayboy has achieved FLOW. GladePlayboy has achieved FLOW. GladePlayboy has achieved FLOW. GladePlayboy has achieved FLOW. GladePlayboy has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karoliusz View Post
Does anybody know what's the axle-to-crown height of this fork? Fox says it's super low but how low exactly?
I believe the a-2-c for the 180s is about 565mm compared to 545mm for the 160s.
GladePlayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
milkman
Space Monkey

milkman has achieved FLOW. milkman has achieved FLOW. milkman has achieved FLOW. milkman has achieved FLOW. milkman has achieved FLOW. milkman has achieved FLOW. milkman has achieved FLOW. milkman has achieved FLOW. milkman has achieved FLOW. milkman has achieved FLOW. milkman has achieved FLOW.
I too am interested in the actual axle-to-crown height. If it's low enough it might be workable on my new Slayer coming soon...

Edit- Thx! Should have waited a few more seconds to post...
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
syngltrkmnd

syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW. syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW. syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW. syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW. syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW. syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW. syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW. syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW. syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW. syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW. syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via AIM to syngltrkmnd
I'll attest to the 180's performance in the bike park - I rode one for a weekend in October. The performance that could be attained through tuning was appreciated - but I learned it by making the mistake of jumping on the demo bike loaned to me, and riding it as is instead of setting it up correctly. After a couple of runs, my hands and forearms were beat. "oh yeah, dumbass - fiddle with them there knobs," I told myself. Sure 'nuff, the 180 performed in spades. Great fork.
syngltrkmnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Karoliusz

So with 565mm it's just average? Or not?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
megrim

megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW. megrim has achieved FLOW.
Great review, Ed. I've been riding the same fork since August and it's been awesome. There are a couple things I've noticed about the fork. First, it's tough to get full travel out of the fork (I've had the same issue with other air 36's and Totems). I find I only get around 165-170 mm of travel regularly and I can only get full travel when I karate chop something big. Second, while the fork is stiff (and it's really stiff for a single crown), it's nothing like the 40. I think these are relatively minor issues and are common to all single crown and air forks. Would I buy one again? Damn right I would!! I think this fork makes for a great North Shore "XC" bike/freeride bike.
megrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #12
VancouverIslguy

VancouverIslguy has achieved FLOW. VancouverIslguy has achieved FLOW. VancouverIslguy has achieved FLOW. VancouverIslguy has achieved FLOW. VancouverIslguy has achieved FLOW. VancouverIslguy has achieved FLOW. VancouverIslguy has achieved FLOW. VancouverIslguy has achieved FLOW. VancouverIslguy has achieved FLOW. VancouverIslguy has achieved FLOW. VancouverIslguy has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladePlayboy View Post
I believe the a-2-c for the 180s is about 565mm compared to 545mm for the 160s.
Correct sir. 565mm as per Fox's tech website.
VancouverIslguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #13
boot

boot has achieved FLOW. boot has achieved FLOW. boot has achieved FLOW. boot has achieved FLOW. boot has achieved FLOW. boot has achieved FLOW. boot has achieved FLOW. boot has achieved FLOW. boot has achieved FLOW. boot has achieved FLOW. boot has achieved FLOW.
Thanks for the review.... and I can't decide either 160 or 180? Any suggestions for a Reign XO (air shock) which is going to be my Shore XC/climber/DH?
boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:06 AM   #14
C.Lee
Pepper Mint!

C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW.
since it's reign, throw on 160
Old 01-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #15
flattire

flattire has achieved FLOW. flattire has achieved FLOW. flattire has achieved FLOW. flattire has achieved FLOW. flattire has achieved FLOW. flattire has achieved FLOW. flattire has achieved FLOW. flattire has achieved FLOW. flattire has achieved FLOW. flattire has achieved FLOW. flattire has achieved FLOW.
Posted via Mobile Device all hail the new king of single crowns!
flattire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: