Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 06-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Kever
steep and deep

Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW.
Read This if You're Going to Buy a Neck Support

This read is worth your time if you've been considering buying a neck brace. It's an unbiased, un-opinionated and rather inconclusive look at the neck support market.

http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/in...alk-about-it/5

http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/in...bout-it-2/full
Kever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
craw

craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW.
Interesting stuff. It's certainly something that could bear more research. How would you pair up that 661 thing with arm/shoulder protection?
Old 06-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
jefg

jefg has achieved FLOW. jefg has achieved FLOW. jefg has achieved FLOW. jefg has achieved FLOW. jefg has achieved FLOW. jefg has achieved FLOW. jefg has achieved FLOW. jefg has achieved FLOW. jefg has achieved FLOW. jefg has achieved FLOW. jefg has achieved FLOW.
I'm definitely interested in the 661 droid. If it also came with some sort of shoulder cups I think it'd be the perfect armour for me.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
semaj
I ONLY RIDE PARK

semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW.
I'm a Leatt Brace wearer myself.

Before I bought I compared the EVS/Aplinestars/Leatt/661 offerings, and showed them to Orthopedic and Neuro surgeons at work in the hospital. All of the braces were met with positive outlooks from the Dr's I spoke with, but the Leatt was the one they were most impressed with.

I'm glad there are several offerings on the market though, and also that they are being constantly improved. Now I'd like to see some third party clinical testing and studies.

The 661 Droid is particularly interesting to me though!
semaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
FlipFantasia
sure, whatever

FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by semaj View Post
All of the braces were met with positive outlooks from the Dr's I spoke with, but the Leatt was the one they were most impressed with.
why were they most impressed with it?
FlipFantasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
semaj
I ONLY RIDE PARK

semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW. semaj has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFantasia View Post
why were they most impressed with it?
The range of injuries it is intended to prevent.

The Alpinestars is specifically made to prevent compression, where the Leatt is made to prevent compression(axio)/hyper-flexion/hyper-extension/and lateral extension. The EVS is similar, but lacks hyper-flexion. The 661 Droid takes it even farther, and perhaps I can show pics of it to the same Dr's again.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
semaj
I ONLY RIDE PARK

I feel that my personal injury would have been prevented by the Leatt, 661 and EVS but maybe not the Aplinestars....since I landed on my forehead and suffered hyper-extension fractures of C1 and C7.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
smyrly

smyrly has achieved FLOW. smyrly has achieved FLOW. smyrly has achieved FLOW. smyrly has achieved FLOW. smyrly has achieved FLOW. smyrly has achieved FLOW. smyrly has achieved FLOW. smyrly has achieved FLOW. smyrly has achieved FLOW. smyrly has achieved FLOW. smyrly has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by semaj View Post
The range of injuries it is intended to prevent.

The Alpinestars is specifically made to prevent compression, where the Leatt is made to prevent compression(axio)/hyper-flexion/hyper-extension/and lateral extension. The EVS is similar, but lacks hyper-flexion. The 661 Droid takes it even farther, and perhaps I can show pics of it to the same Dr's again.
According to their website, the EVS is designed to prevent hyper flexion.
smyrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
semaj
I ONLY RIDE PARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyrly View Post
According to their website, the EVS is designed to prevent hyper flexion.
Thanks, I didn't see that actually.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Wayne P
resident dirtbag

Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW.
There is also the Omega that is supposed to disperse the load better than the other braces.

661 has had some legal issues with the name "Droid". I heard that is why its been so late to market.

Last edited by Wayne P; 06-18-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Wayne P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #11
semaj
I ONLY RIDE PARK

They should just call it "Stormtrooper" then
Old 06-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
ERregular

ERregular has achieved FLOW. ERregular has achieved FLOW. ERregular has achieved FLOW. ERregular has achieved FLOW. ERregular has achieved FLOW. ERregular has achieved FLOW. ERregular has achieved FLOW. ERregular has achieved FLOW. ERregular has achieved FLOW. ERregular has achieved FLOW. ERregular has achieved FLOW.
I've been using an Omega recently. Can't say that I want to guinea pig it, but it is comfortable to ride in. I personally like the idea that the brace is designed to spread an impact NOT to the thoracic spine, but the the muscle groups over the shoulder blades.
ERregular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
Kever
steep and deep

Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW.
I had a leatte moto gpx for 2 days before I got rid of it. I couldn't handle how much it contacted my helmet. I couldn't properly look up the trail. The Alpinestars Bionic Brace/neck support allows for much more range of motion, so I bought one of those. So far I am very happy with it. My helmet contacts the brace way less and it still gives me the confidence to go big and fast. The moto guys are loving theirs, I just watched a nationals race on tv and many of them were wearing the alpinestars bionic brace.
Kever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
dhphoenix
Un-Broken

dhphoenix has achieved FLOW. dhphoenix has achieved FLOW. dhphoenix has achieved FLOW. dhphoenix has achieved FLOW. dhphoenix has achieved FLOW. dhphoenix has achieved FLOW. dhphoenix has achieved FLOW. dhphoenix has achieved FLOW. dhphoenix has achieved FLOW. dhphoenix has achieved FLOW. dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.
I have a Leatt. Had a chance to test it last year, when I got bucked on a jump and came down on my face/forehead. Skidded about 10 feet and filled my mouth with dirt (through the fullface). I felt my head actually get pushed down into my chest, then I felt the Leatt stop it. Walked away from that with just a little soreness in my neck, no problems since. Pretty sure without the Leatt that wouldn't have been so pretty...

Half the riders out here use them, half don't. I guess its personal preference. Its taken me awhile to get used to it, and it does sometimes get in the way if I'm trying to look far ahead. I still feel naked if I'm not wearing it DJing or shuttling. To each's own, I just know that so far, I love mine and I'll keep wearing it. When my current helmet is ready to be retired I'm going to shop around and try to find one that gives me slightly better range of motion.
dhphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
semaj
I ONLY RIDE PARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhphoenix View Post
When my current helmet is ready to be retired I'm going to shop around and try to find one that gives me slightly better range of motion.
My exact thinking as well. My Fox Rampage is pretty low in the back, so it contacts my ADVenture brace quite easily. I'm picking up some low profile padding, and I'll pick a different helmet to work with the Leatt a little better next time.
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: