Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
stuart@nsmb.com
Writer/editor/photo taker

stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
New RockShox rear shocks for '11

RockShox is hoping to change the DH racing scene with its new Vivid Air rear shock. The goal was to produce an air shock that rode the same as a coil shock. Did they do it?

Check it out for yourself

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert
stuart@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
xy9ine

xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.
the vivid air sounds boss. want.
xy9ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Znarf

Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.
Any information on reliability of the coil vivids?
Znarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Hack On Wheels
Team Ewok

Hack On Wheels has achieved FLOW.Hack On Wheels has achieved FLOW.Hack On Wheels has achieved FLOW.Hack On Wheels has achieved FLOW.Hack On Wheels has achieved FLOW.Hack On Wheels has achieved FLOW.Hack On Wheels has achieved FLOW.Hack On Wheels has achieved FLOW.Hack On Wheels has achieved FLOW.Hack On Wheels has achieved FLOW.Hack On Wheels has achieved FLOW.
A few things about the article:

I don't think the DHX Air was really brought out for World Cup level DH racing... It always struck me that it was aimed for All Mountain and light(er) Freeride bikes. The 3" stroke version seemed pretty rare.

Manitou has had the ISX shocks out for a while; I haven't heard of them suffering from any of the mid-stroke wallowing issues. By all accounts, the ISX seemed to have already fixed those issues... and a few years ahead of this Vivid air.

Not to take away from the technology in the Vivid - the "hotrod" and other features are pretty interesting - but I thought the article read sort of like a press release with what I mentioned. It's a shame that the Manitou never caught more interest and can be forgotten or missed so easily.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Brother Lu

Brother Lu has achieved FLOW.Brother Lu has achieved FLOW.Brother Lu has achieved FLOW.Brother Lu has achieved FLOW.Brother Lu has achieved FLOW.Brother Lu has achieved FLOW.Brother Lu has achieved FLOW.Brother Lu has achieved FLOW.Brother Lu has achieved FLOW.Brother Lu has achieved FLOW.Brother Lu has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack On Wheels View Post
A few things about the article:

I don't think the DHX Air was really brought out for World Cup level DH racing... It always struck me that it was aimed for All Mountain and light(er) Freeride bikes. The 3" stroke version seemed pretty rare.

Manitou has had the ISX shocks out for a while; I haven't heard of them suffering from any of the mid-stroke wallowing issues. By all accounts, the ISX seemed to have already fixed those issues... and a few years ahead of this Vivid air.

Not to take away from the technology in the Vivid - the "hotrod" and other features are pretty interesting - but I thought the article read sort of like a press release with what I mentioned. It's a shame that the Manitou never caught more interest and can be forgotten or missed so easily.
Ya,I was thinking big woop my evolver has all that plus low speed compression and it's been out for years.Does look like a nice shock though.
Brother Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
FullMonty
I'm Surrey-ous.

FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lu View Post
Ya,I was thinking big woop my evolver has all that plus low speed compression and it's been out for years.Does look like a nice shock though.
me three...
Old 06-16-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
Timer

Timer has achieved FLOW.Timer has achieved FLOW.Timer has achieved FLOW.Timer has achieved FLOW.Timer has achieved FLOW.Timer has achieved FLOW.Timer has achieved FLOW.Timer has achieved FLOW.Timer has achieved FLOW.Timer has achieved FLOW.Timer has achieved FLOW.
Will be interesting to see what the Monarch plus will retail for and how it will perform.
It would be nice to have another (cheaper) option for a good trailbike shock. The manitou evolver ISX6 is awesome, but pricy and quite rare.
Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: