Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
nouseforaname
My name is Duncan

nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW.
Shimano Dyna Sys 10 speed

So i just got a brief on the new 10 speed group from Shimano, thought it was kind of cool. Well, actually kind of stupidly nerdy, but that's shimano for you.
There are not lots of new colours to match your, but there is a lot of crazy mind bending "why did they even think of that" going on.

Shifters and derailleurs looked the same as current XT Shadow, but are only compatible with the Dyna Sys shifters. You can mix and match SLX with XT (and XTR when it arrives apparently), and the front der doesn't change between 10 and 9 speed.

Chainrings are specific, but you could use a 9 speed crankset if you wanted. The chainrings are 42/32/24 to encourage you to be using the middle ring more. 32/36 versus having to drop to 22/26
Staying in the middle ring is apparently 31% more efficient (no i didn't just pull that out of my ass) than using a 22/26 combo. Less wear, less breakage, more better.
No 22t option, because that could put too much torque on the freehub apparently.
No 2 ring options yet, but coming soon, including some great ideas on chainline for double rings for racers versus double rings for All Mountain types.
Lot's of talk about how 2 ring drivetrains weren't the best option for regular folks, and that this 10 speed should be as durable as 9 speed in a 3 ring format.

Rear Der is SGS or GS - no Super Short, completely specific to 10 speed Shimano. Same Shadow lo pro design as before, but with a redesigned 'arm' holding the cable tension bolt.

The Cassette is initially only a 11-36, but 11-34 and 11-32 coming soon. The middle of the range is tightened up into 2 tooth jumps, to minimise the gaps that you get in 11-34 cassettes now. There are two chunks of cogs on alloy carriers to keep the weight low. Only one chunk of ally cogs on the SLX.

The chain is taking technology from the road - and those worried about mud holding properties will be glad to know that the inner dimension of the chain is the same as 9 speed. The chain is directional, meaning that one side is designed to deal with climbing up chainrings, and the other is designed for the easy job of climbing the cassette.

There's also some new stuff in the shifter to do with the force required to shift -keeping it positive like Shadow/SRAM but not too much effort. But by that point he was using graphs to show what he meant and i was losing interest.

Got a sneak peek at some pics of the new Shimano XTR brakes and they look teh hotness. Entirely new lever design , not radial anymore. Two brake options for XTR - one for racers and one for trail riders. Racers brake is lighter, Trail riders brake is more powerful by 20%.

Lots of stuff that the guy couldn't be drawn on, but given it's Shimano we're talking about it's pretty believable when he says that he doesn't know.

Looks all round like shimano is giving a lot attention to regular joes not just the XC pros.

p.s I'm hereby "calling" that a Shimano hammerschmidt style thing - if it ever appears - will use a 32 tooth ring.

p.p.s no compatibility with 10 speed road derailleurs or shifters. And no thumbshifters.

p.p.p.s I think the whole thing is damn sweet, but yes Dyna Sys is a weak name

Last edited by nouseforaname; 05-03-2010 at 10:45 PM.
nouseforaname is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
nouseforaname
My name is Duncan

nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW. nouseforaname has achieved FLOW.
That is officially my longest post ever.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
shirk

shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
And no thumbshifters.
Ah bloody hell.

Forget this Dyna-Sissy crap what is the low down on 11 spd Alfine.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
sanrensho

sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW.
Cool report. Good to hear that double ring crank options are on the way for racing/weenies.

Quote:
p.p.s no compatibility with 10 speed road derailleurs or shifters.
Can you expand on this? One of the attractions of Shimano is the ability to mix-and-match mtb/road drivetrains.

Did they explain why the new 10-speed wide-range cassettes won't work with road 10sp shifters?
"The song of a bird...We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds..."-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk
sanrensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
rewoga
I am Molech!!!!

rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via Yahoo to rewoga
Quote:
The chain is taking technology from the road - and those worried about mud holding properties will be glad to know that the inner dimension of the chain is the same as 9 speed. The chain is directional, meaning that one side is designed to deal with climbing up chainrings, and the other is designed for the easy job of climbing the cassette.
This sounds like it will cause me problems - I already have enough trouble getting a normal chain back on (and in fact, after blowing my rear der at the first DH race of the season, I didn't get it back through the roller on my chain guide and had major chain suckage). I will be "that guy" who's chain is always backwards...grrrrrr

I write interesting stories with mediocre quality photo's about things I do and crazy shit that happens!

http://www.citizenclass.ca
rewoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
rewoga
I am Molech!!!!

rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via Yahoo to rewoga
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirk View Post
Ah bloody hell.

Forget this Dyna-Sissy crap what is the low down on 11 spd Alfine.
x2

I write interesting stories with mediocre quality photo's about things I do and crazy shit that happens!

http://www.citizenclass.ca
rewoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
nouseforaname
My name is Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrensho View Post
Can you expand on this? One of the attractions of Shimano is the ability to mix-and-match mtb/road drivetrains.

Did they explain why the new 10-speed wide-range cassettes won't work with road 10sp shifters?
The road derailleurs won't want to handle the range of the new cassettes, and the new mountain derailleurs are a different cable pull to the 10 speed road shifters. A La SRAM.

So not so much that the cassette won't work with the shifters, just that the cable pull different MTB Vs Road 10 speed.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #8
boomforeal
cycling based lifeform

boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW. boomforeal has achieved FLOW.
nice. every time they add a gear, the old stuff sits on clearance for years. i stay 1 generation behind, and get to upgrade at the same time as everyone else for like 1/4 the price while the test dummies work out all the kinks
boomforeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
sanrensho

sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
The road derailleurs won't want to handle the range of the new cassettes, and the new mountain derailleurs are a different cable pull to the 10 speed road shifters. A La SRAM.

So not so much that the cassette won't work with the shifters, just that the cable pull different MTB Vs Road 10 speed.
Excellent. Thanks for the clarification.

Do you happen to know what the cable pull is for MTB 10-speed?
"The song of a bird...We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds..."-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk
sanrensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: