Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Old 03-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
Tim Tests Tires - With Freelap

Tim and Freelap go together like... Let's not go there shall we?

Senor Coleman wanted to get some real evidence to find out which tire is fastest in the wet. Here's what the man in the white coat found...
cam@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Wayne P
resident dirtbag

Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.
I haven't ridden the KOT but for the other two I would agree with those results.

Good job Timmay!

Edit: Could you try and test under different conditions too? How about a off road rolling speed test?

Last edited by Wayne P; 03-04-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Wayne P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
roy

roy has achieved FLOW.roy has achieved FLOW.roy has achieved FLOW.roy has achieved FLOW.roy has achieved FLOW.roy has achieved FLOW.roy has achieved FLOW.roy has achieved FLOW.roy has achieved FLOW.roy has achieved FLOW.roy has achieved FLOW.
I like tests like this, something with real numbers! Looking forward to the rest of them. If Tim is reading this, were you familiar with the track before or did you become more familiar as the test went on? And I know its only a short track but does fatigue come into the equation anywhere?
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
DrewM
Which Side Are You On???

DrewM has achieved FLOW.DrewM has achieved FLOW.DrewM has achieved FLOW.DrewM has achieved FLOW.DrewM has achieved FLOW.DrewM has achieved FLOW.DrewM has achieved FLOW.DrewM has achieved FLOW.DrewM has achieved FLOW.DrewM has achieved FLOW.DrewM has achieved FLOW.
Had to be done:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
how come you weren't running your signature tire? are they on back ordered due to high demand?

This review would make more sense to me if you tested a wider collection of tires (using a number of riders) on a number of courses (maybe a number of different reviews over the summer?)

The High Roller is a useless tire in heavy mud and, as Tim mentioned, Mud tires can be really sketchy on wet roots, so it is a no brainer that the one all-around tire in the test won.

On a hard dry course the High Roller probably would have killed it. On a muddy course with less roots the Mud tires would have won.

What about comparing the Telonix to other all-around DH tires? The Minion for example, which seems to be the tire of choice for most the DH'ers I talk to.

-D

Last edited by DrewM; 03-04-2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: won
DrewM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
heckler
Skookum

heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy View Post
If Tim is reading this...
lol...

After seeing the Olympics, and the difference in performance that a tenth of a second can make, I really wonder how capable this comparison is. Was it really the tires that made the difference, or was it increasing knowledge of the line on the course? The times reduce consistantly from Run 1 to Run 8 (assuming they were done in the order presented). What happens if you run the tires in the reverse order?

Nice to see some facts and figures put to equipment though Tim! Great work. I hope Cam lets you keep the tires.

Were the same wheels used for all tires?
heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
Timmigrant

Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne P View Post
I haven't ridden the KOT but for the other two I would agree with those results.

Good job Timmay!

Edit: Could you try and test under different conditions too? How about a off road rolling speed test?
Thanks Wayne. I plan to test a much wider variety of tires and under different conditions and on different courses. I plan to use the HighRoller as my control tire, and will be used for comparison in each test.

My Super Interesting Website

-
Timmigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
DarylMac
Born again Grom

DarylMac has achieved FLOW.DarylMac has achieved FLOW.DarylMac has achieved FLOW.DarylMac has achieved FLOW.DarylMac has achieved FLOW.DarylMac has achieved FLOW.DarylMac has achieved FLOW.DarylMac has achieved FLOW.DarylMac has achieved FLOW.DarylMac has achieved FLOW.DarylMac has achieved FLOW.
I like the test so far - keep it up, it will only get better... After reading some of the banter in the suspension set-up threads I would love to see you compare a soft set-up with a firmer set-up... Slow rebound vs. quick rebound...
DarylMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
xy9ine

xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.
hard to eliminate the human performance variable with timed testing like this; lines will vary, you'll likely get faster on subsequent runs, etc. methinks that such variables would on the most part negate quantifiable performance differences attributed to tires alone (esp. with a group of tires of similar design).

i would be interested to see a comparative suspension test in a timed format however. perhaps pick a section that requires no pedalling & a well defined line to eliminate those variables. use the same forks & dampers, etc & see if all the suspension platform geekery really amounts to any significant time differentials.
xy9ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
Timmigrant

Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy View Post
I like tests like this, something with real numbers! Looking forward to the rest of them. If Tim is reading this, were you familiar with the track before or did you become more familiar as the test went on? And I know its only a short track but does fatigue come into the equation anywhere?
Cheers Roy, I was familiar with the track. I also stuck to as close to the same line as possible for all the tires.

Fatigue could have played a small factor. I was hiking up the trail for each run, and after doing 9 runs in an afternoon I was naturally more tired than when I started. Since there is little pedalling on that track and I'm used to doing far more actual riding in a day I'm confident my run from the end of the day significantly slower than my first run.

-
Old 03-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
shonky

shonky has achieved FLOW.shonky has achieved FLOW.shonky has achieved FLOW.shonky has achieved FLOW.shonky has achieved FLOW.shonky has achieved FLOW.shonky has achieved FLOW.shonky has achieved FLOW.shonky has achieved FLOW.shonky has achieved FLOW.shonky has achieved FLOW.
Having listened to Tim selflessly and tirelessly share his opinions on the relative merits of various tires, shocks, forks, frames, trails, mountains, cars, countries, sandwich vendors, ... I can say that he is uniquely qualified to perform this type of review/testing

Seriously, that propensity for thoroughness definitely comes in handy when you need a review/opinion.

Good work Timmy. Very informative. Looking forward to more tests/reviews!
shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Timmigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy9ine View Post
hard to eliminate the human performance variable with timed testing like this; lines will vary, you'll likely get faster on subsequent runs, etc. methinks that such variables would on the most part negate quantifiable performance differences attributed to tires alone (esp. with a group of tires of similar design).

i would be interested to see a comparative suspension test in a timed format however. perhaps pick a section that requires no pedalling & a well defined line to eliminate those variables. use the same forks & dampers, etc & see if all the suspension platform geekery really amounts to any significant time differentials.
Good points. I thought of this before doing the test. The lines didn't change much during the test. I knew the trail fairly well, so I don't think I was getting faster as the test wore on. The differences in the way the three tires performed on the trail was substantial, and I think the differences in the times measured are significant.

To the comments regarding testing suspension set up, that test is planned. I have a variety of springs for both my fork and shock. And both the fork and shock are easy to tune. The only possible issue with that is I prefer a softer and faster tune, so the results may be biased in that direction. Maybe I'll try and find some other nerds to increase the sample size.

I also plan to do a test evaluating a variety of tire pressures. And ultimately tubeless vs. no-notubes!

-
Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
Wayne P
resident dirtbag

Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.Wayne P has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmigrant View Post
Good points. I thought of this before doing the test. The lines didn't change much during the test. I knew the trail fairly well, so I don't think I was getting faster as the test wore on. The differences in the way the three tires performed on the trail was substantial, and I think the differences in the times measured are significant.

To the comments regarding testing suspension set up, that test is planned. I have a variety of springs for both my fork and shock. And both the fork and shock are easy to tune. The only possible issue with that is I prefer a softer and faster tune, so the results may be biased in that direction. Maybe I'll try and find some other nerds to increase the sample size.

I also plan to do a test evaluating a variety of tire pressures. And ultimately tubeless vs. no-notubes!
Yea I think its going to be hard for you to not be biased on the suspension test.

Whatever make sure you hit up something steep on Cypress!
Wayne P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
Timmigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne P View Post
Yea I think its going to be hard for you to not be biased on the suspension test.

Whatever make sure you hit up something steep on Cypress!
That's the plan!

-
Old 03-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
Sharon

Sharon has achieved FLOW.Sharon has achieved FLOW.Sharon has achieved FLOW.Sharon has achieved FLOW.Sharon has achieved FLOW.Sharon has achieved FLOW.Sharon has achieved FLOW.Sharon has achieved FLOW.Sharon has achieved FLOW.Sharon has achieved FLOW.Sharon has achieved FLOW.
Nice Tim!

I look forward to more tires on this comparison! Better up that fitness to get in more laps!

I have the telonix 2.2 on my Endorphin. I've found it to be a terrible corning tire on dry ground. Great for wet technical though.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
Bryce
Registered Abuser

Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.
Sweet! me like

I'm curious to see more results, especially the usual culprits side by side (ie minion dhf, nevegal, dissent, etc...)
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: