Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > The Shore

The Shore All Shore, all the time

Old 12-14-2009, 05:23 AM   #1
Australia
Humble Genius

Australia has achieved FLOW.Australia has achieved FLOW.Australia has achieved FLOW.Australia has achieved FLOW.Australia has achieved FLOW.Australia has achieved FLOW.Australia has achieved FLOW.Australia has achieved FLOW.Australia has achieved FLOW.Australia has achieved FLOW.Australia has achieved FLOW.
Bike theft attempt!

Apologies in advance if any bad language sneaks in here - I'll try to keep it clean.

So I was on the 007 bus at about 4:50pm today (coming back from the Shore). The bus stopped at the busy stopjust before the bridge to leave downtown. The bus driver had the ramp down to let a wheelchair off - some guy tripped over the ramp and there was a big keffufle cause he was moaning a fair bit - while this is happening I see my bike on the rack vibrating a bit (I as a bit confused, but couldn't see anyone going at my bike so assumed somebody was trying to put their own bike on.

Finally the guy who fell gets up - and the first thing he does is run over to his mate up the front of the bus - lift my bike off - and ride off on it. The bus driver sreams "hey thats not yours" and Im up running camelback on, full face in hand in a second.

Fortunately my bike was in its biggest gear (I had about 2:30 mins to get from Old Buck Carpark to the main road there to get the bus) so this guy wasn't accelerating to well. I caught him inside 50m and grabbed the loop on the back of his backpack and hauled left. I managed to steer the bike into a parked car. He jumped off kept one hand on the bike and one fist in the air. I had one hand on the bike and one open hand up guarding my face (in case he took a swing at me).

I'm 6"1 and 185lbs but the first to admit I'd be as useful as tits in a gay bar in a fight situation - so I start hollering "HELP!" at the top of my voice. Eventually this big guy starts jogging over and the arsehole bike theif goes "fine keep your stupid bike" and wanders off.

So I wheel the bike back to the bus and the guy starts talking to me, I couldn't hear him - eventually I figured out my ipod had been in the whole time. A nice old lady offered me a jam tart. A few people congratulated me on getting my bike back. THe big guy asked me why I hadn't yanked the fucker to the ground when I got his backpack- I figured that would lead to a punch up and since this guy had his mate with him I realised a bike wasn't worth getting beat up over.

Bus driver reckons at least 3 cameras caught the whole thing - I asked if transit would give them to me to upload them on youtube for everyones amusement - she didn't think so.

Needless to say, I spent the rest of the trip standing up the front of the bus next to the driver watching over my bike.

I go back to Australia in 8 days, it wouldve been a shitty conclusion to my year.

I once heard a story about a bike getting nabbed off the front of a bus - I didn't think it would happen to me - remember to be up the front of the bus when using the bike rack folks.

Out.
Australia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
Tom

Tom has achieved FLOW.Tom has achieved FLOW.Tom has achieved FLOW.Tom has achieved FLOW.Tom has achieved FLOW.Tom has achieved FLOW.Tom has achieved FLOW.Tom has achieved FLOW.Tom has achieved FLOW.Tom has achieved FLOW.Tom has achieved FLOW.
Glad to hear the theft was averted.

You definitely should have taken him down head first when you had a hold of the backpack though. Show no mercy.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
Lady Gravity
meow?

Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.
good for you! awesome result.

and yeah, i see people load their bike on the rack, then get on the bus and sit in the back - that's just silly IMO
Lady Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
semaj
I ONLY RIDE PARK

semaj has achieved FLOW.semaj has achieved FLOW.semaj has achieved FLOW.semaj has achieved FLOW.semaj has achieved FLOW.semaj has achieved FLOW.semaj has achieved FLOW.semaj has achieved FLOW.semaj has achieved FLOW.semaj has achieved FLOW.semaj has achieved FLOW.
That's crazy! Congrats on getting the bike back, but I must admit I would have been a little more forceful with the thief since I'm a little bigger than you
semaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
lowside67
NSMB Grammar Nazi

lowside67 has achieved FLOW.lowside67 has achieved FLOW.lowside67 has achieved FLOW.lowside67 has achieved FLOW.lowside67 has achieved FLOW.lowside67 has achieved FLOW.lowside67 has achieved FLOW.lowside67 has achieved FLOW.lowside67 has achieved FLOW.lowside67 has achieved FLOW.lowside67 has achieved FLOW.
You're 6'1 and you didn't want to deck the guy? Please! I'm friggin 5'7 and you better believe I would at least get a shot in before I got my ass kicked simply for the principle of the whole thing. Good job on keeping your bike though!!

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop
lowside67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
sanrensho

sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.
Nice (unintentional) move putting the bike in the hardest gear. Always a good move if you have to leave your bike unattended--either that are jamming the shifter to a harder gear while leaving the chain in place.

I wish old ladies would offer me jam tarts. Damn, that sounds so civilized.

Surprised that you didn't swing at his head with the full-face, if not repeated bludgeoning.
"The song of a bird...We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds..."-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk
sanrensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Bushman
time will tell

Bushman has achieved FLOW.Bushman has achieved FLOW.Bushman has achieved FLOW.Bushman has achieved FLOW.Bushman has achieved FLOW.Bushman has achieved FLOW.Bushman has achieved FLOW.Bushman has achieved FLOW.Bushman has achieved FLOW.Bushman has achieved FLOW.Bushman has achieved FLOW.
i was teh big guy that helped you

nah not really.............. but i would have totally had your back man, congrates on the thwartage
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
joefromthesoo

joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW.joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW.joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW.joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW.joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW.joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW.joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW.joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW.joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW.joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW.joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW.
security cam vids or it didnt happen...

heh, good to hear you didnt lose your bike. you need that thing for your marathon races.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
parts

parts has achieved FLOW.parts has achieved FLOW.parts has achieved FLOW.parts has achieved FLOW.parts has achieved FLOW.parts has achieved FLOW.parts has achieved FLOW.parts has achieved FLOW.parts has achieved FLOW.parts has achieved FLOW.parts has achieved FLOW.
Totally glad you got your bike back & hopefully the incident didn't taint your visit too much. But one question, if your bike isn't worth a fight, what is? Not trying to be a dick...
parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
Chainstay
Wannabe weight weenie!

Chainstay has achieved FLOW.Chainstay has achieved FLOW.Chainstay has achieved FLOW.Chainstay has achieved FLOW.Chainstay has achieved FLOW.Chainstay has achieved FLOW.Chainstay has achieved FLOW.Chainstay has achieved FLOW.Chainstay has achieved FLOW.Chainstay has achieved FLOW.Chainstay has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via MSN to Chainstay
I think a helmet smash was in order in this situation, but congrats on getting the bike back!
Chainstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
Couch_Surfer

Couch_Surfer has achieved FLOW.Couch_Surfer has achieved FLOW.Couch_Surfer has achieved FLOW.Couch_Surfer has achieved FLOW.Couch_Surfer has achieved FLOW.Couch_Surfer has achieved FLOW.Couch_Surfer has achieved FLOW.Couch_Surfer has achieved FLOW.Couch_Surfer has achieved FLOW.Couch_Surfer has achieved FLOW.Couch_Surfer has achieved FLOW.
Good on ya for getting the bike back!

I was hoping to hear about a flurry to the solar plexes.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
DARTHYOGA
whatever, moron

DARTHYOGA has achieved FLOW.DARTHYOGA has achieved FLOW.DARTHYOGA has achieved FLOW.DARTHYOGA has achieved FLOW.DARTHYOGA has achieved FLOW.DARTHYOGA has achieved FLOW.DARTHYOGA has achieved FLOW.DARTHYOGA has achieved FLOW.DARTHYOGA has achieved FLOW.DARTHYOGA has achieved FLOW.DARTHYOGA has achieved FLOW.
You are awsome! Thats a great story and I think you did everything right. Im glad someone was able to hand you a victory jam tart, it must have been really good.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #13
jefg

jefg has achieved FLOW.jefg has achieved FLOW.jefg has achieved FLOW.jefg has achieved FLOW.jefg has achieved FLOW.jefg has achieved FLOW.jefg has achieved FLOW.jefg has achieved FLOW.jefg has achieved FLOW.jefg has achieved FLOW.jefg has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch_Surfer View Post
flurry to the solar plexes.
I says pardon?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
toycdn

I most likely would have swung at him with my helmut once I had a grasp on his pack. Hopefully would have been lights out. that being said good work on getting your bike back. Nobody tried to grab the thief and wait for the cops after he let the bike go?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #15
KenN
I'm with the pedalphiles

KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australia View Post
Fortunately my bike was in its biggest gear
Good advice for anyone tossing their bike onto the bus racks ... except maybe for hipster fixie riders. May give you that extra few seconds you need to catch up.

Kn.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.
KenN is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: