Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
Sam Brown's Story on The Fifth Estate

The entire doc. is now online at the link below.

Click here to watch

On February 23, 2009, 24-year-old Sam Brown of British Columbia was arrested by U.S. authorities in Washington State as he landed a helicopter he had piloted across the border. Sam's crime: he was attempting to smuggle almost 200 kilograms of marijuana,"B.C. Bud”. Only a few days after his arrest, Sam hanged himself in his jail cell. In Over the Edge, Linden MacIntyre takes us into the world of drug smuggling in B.C. and the role in it of young people like Sam Brown.

Sam was an extreme sports enthusiast, who thrived on the adrenaline of risk taking. He grew up in the B.C. interior, living in Nelson, where the flourishing mountain biking scene offered him new challenges. Rugged and picturesque, Nelson is a hotbed for the young and unconventional, a magnet for extreme sports enthusiasts—and a centre for the lucrative, underground marijuana industry.

The homegrown pot, “B.C. Bud”, pours billions of illegal dollars into local economies in B.C. Huge demand for the drug has allowed Nelson to ride out normal economic swings. But “B.C. Bud” also fuels a multi-billion dollar criminal enterprise on B.C.’s lower mainland and the United States, sustained largely by a core group of thrill-seekers like Sam—young people who smuggle drugs for the sheer high of the risk and their addiction to the money.

In Over the Edge, the fifth estate reconstructs Sam’s final smuggling mission. Linden MacIntyre speaks with a former smuggler who recruited Sam into that world. Viewers will also hear from his sisters and father, still grappling with the circumstances of his arrest and his death, as well as Sam’s American lawyers, some of the last people to speak with him before he took his life.
cam@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
nick
www.epiccyclist.com

nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW.
so much wasted talent...
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:30 AM   #3
The Dan Jones
Lazy by most accounts

The Dan Jones has achieved FLOW. The Dan Jones has achieved FLOW. The Dan Jones has achieved FLOW. The Dan Jones has achieved FLOW. The Dan Jones has achieved FLOW. The Dan Jones has achieved FLOW. The Dan Jones has achieved FLOW. The Dan Jones has achieved FLOW. The Dan Jones has achieved FLOW. The Dan Jones has achieved FLOW. The Dan Jones has achieved FLOW.
Second articale I have read to day around that subject

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/11/12/...enre-explodes/

check out this link.

Can't say I really support this idea, I get the feeling a Hollywood (Canadian picture) would really make this matter too simpathetic. Or change to story way too much.
The Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
blacksheep

blacksheep has achieved FLOW. blacksheep has achieved FLOW. blacksheep has achieved FLOW. blacksheep has achieved FLOW. blacksheep has achieved FLOW. blacksheep has achieved FLOW. blacksheep has achieved FLOW. blacksheep has achieved FLOW. blacksheep has achieved FLOW. blacksheep has achieved FLOW. blacksheep has achieved FLOW.
Doco looks good. Never knew he's was half Kiwi, RIP Sam.
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
joefromthesoo

joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW.
"Drug smuggling is an extreme sport for these guys"

yeah i rip up the trails for a while, then smuggle drugs into the united states. its part of the DH/DS lifestyle.
maybe its out of context but thats how i took it.
joefromthesoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
Banshee Brown
Chris Brown

Banshee Brown has achieved FLOW. Banshee Brown has achieved FLOW. Banshee Brown has achieved FLOW. Banshee Brown has achieved FLOW. Banshee Brown has achieved FLOW. Banshee Brown has achieved FLOW. Banshee Brown has achieved FLOW. Banshee Brown has achieved FLOW. Banshee Brown has achieved FLOW. Banshee Brown has achieved FLOW. Banshee Brown has achieved FLOW.
There was some awkward dialogue in that story "driving a bicyle down a mountain" = facepalm
Banshee Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
joefromthesoo

joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW. joefromthesoo has achieved FLOW.
heh yeah i caught that
joefromthesoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
menehune
gatekeeper.

menehune has achieved FLOW. menehune has achieved FLOW. menehune has achieved FLOW. menehune has achieved FLOW. menehune has achieved FLOW. menehune has achieved FLOW. menehune has achieved FLOW. menehune has achieved FLOW. menehune has achieved FLOW. menehune has achieved FLOW. menehune has achieved FLOW.
RIP sam.

sounds like there's more to the end of your story than initially thought.
menehune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
hypa
Erhmagerhd!

hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by menehune View Post
There always is.

I PVR'd this last night, and want to watch it today. I'm curious how many differences there are between the 5th estate story, and the Rolling Stone article.
hypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
roy

roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by menehune View Post
RIP sam.

weird, I didn't get that from it at all, it played out pretty much like we had all read before. Not really any new information.
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
hypa
Erhmagerhd!

hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW. hypa has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy View Post
weird, I didn't get that from it at all, it played out pretty much like we had all read before. Not really any new information.
Pretty much.
Still a sad story though.
hypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #12
Bryce
Registered Abuser

Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW.
that was pretty cheesy

toward the end they made a comment about young adventurous people having their lives ruined by the US war on drugs and minimum sentencing. I didn't expect that, nor do I really agree with it.
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #13
HIBuLlitT
Only 20 yrs till I retire

HIBuLlitT has achieved FLOW. HIBuLlitT has achieved FLOW. HIBuLlitT has achieved FLOW. HIBuLlitT has achieved FLOW. HIBuLlitT has achieved FLOW. HIBuLlitT has achieved FLOW. HIBuLlitT has achieved FLOW. HIBuLlitT has achieved FLOW. HIBuLlitT has achieved FLOW. HIBuLlitT has achieved FLOW. HIBuLlitT has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
that was pretty cheesy

toward the end they made a comment about young adventurous people having their lives ruined by the US war on drugs and minimum sentencing. I didn't expect that, nor do I really agree with it.
I don't agree with the ruining adventurous young peoples lives because you
know what you're getting into when you cross that line. My father spent a lot of my/his
life in prison as I was growing up. Every time I thought about getting into that
kind of business he always said "If you can't do the time don't do the crime". I
thought it was just him repeating Baretta, but it stuck with me, and it is the full
truth.

On the other hand, the mentality of the US law enforcement agencies and the US
government as a whole is archaic and rooted in myth and hidden agendas.

While Sam was a really good bike rider, and probably a good 'bro', he knew what
he was doing. It's a shame he did what he did, so much promise thrown away.
"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

HIBuLlitT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #14
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
Considering this was from a major network - for Canada at least - I thought they did a very good job. (I don't have the same confidence in Jason Priestley.)

I would have liked to have known more though.

How many times and for how long was Sam questioned after he was taken into custody?
Were those interrogations taped? I'd bet he wasn't treated very well by the DEA.
What about the questionable record of the Spokane jail?
Why wasn't Sam allowed to make a phone call?
cam@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #15
the Master Plan Dan
Dude-Brah-Dude

the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW.
The DEA is dead against Pot.

My dad is a retired Metro Toronto Police Office and had to deal with them on some occasions and they are hardliners.

Even he couldn't understand how so much cocaine floated around and they seemed to over look that, but get caught with pot... Wow!

There was no telling what they would do.

Unfortunately we will never know what happened during his time in the jail. Pretty bad I imagine considered he took his own life.

Dan
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: