Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > The Shore

The Shore All Shore, all the time

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #151
Wayne P
resident dirtbag

Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post

the reason the alarm bells are being sounded is that the number of people from group #4 that actually help run the organization are dwindling and without them the nsmba can't function.
That's because they are volunteers and those volunteers get burned out when factoring in everything else going on in their lives. That's my take on it anyway.
Wayne P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #152
FlipFantasia
sure, whatever

FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne P View Post
That's because they are volunteers and those volunteers get burned out when factoring in everything else going on in their lives. That's my take on it anyway.
yup, and its unfair to assume that the same people will continue to run a volunteer org year after year.....time for new people to step up and put their money where their mouths are.....many hands make light work and all that stuff...
FlipFantasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #153
Joe Kickass
gangsir*****'s fan

Joe Kickass has achieved FLOW. Joe Kickass has achieved FLOW. Joe Kickass has achieved FLOW. Joe Kickass has achieved FLOW. Joe Kickass has achieved FLOW. Joe Kickass has achieved FLOW. Joe Kickass has achieved FLOW. Joe Kickass has achieved FLOW. Joe Kickass has achieved FLOW. Joe Kickass has achieved FLOW. Joe Kickass has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
The environment has to be inviting of new members to replace those who are getting burnt out. There should be a process that allows for a smooth replacement transition. I can't imagine that there would not be enough willing and capable volunteers to do their part for the sport.
Joe Kickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #154
ChunkyMonkey
Slayer'n it!

ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW. ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW. ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW. ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW. ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW. ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW. ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW. ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW. ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW. ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW. ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBond View Post
Matt/Smoke, the new site is looking good IMO. I see you're looking for volunteers to help with content verification. P/E-mail me the details, I'd be happy to help.
ChunkyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #155
bansheeair

bansheeair has achieved FLOW. bansheeair has achieved FLOW. bansheeair has achieved FLOW. bansheeair has achieved FLOW. bansheeair has achieved FLOW. bansheeair has achieved FLOW. bansheeair has achieved FLOW. bansheeair has achieved FLOW. bansheeair has achieved FLOW. bansheeair has achieved FLOW. bansheeair has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFantasia View Post
yup, and its unfair to assume that the same people will continue to run a volunteer org year after year.....time for new people to step up and put their money where their mouths are.....many hands make light work and all that stuff...
We are having similar issues in the Fraser Valley. The current exec is working on a total makeover as there is burnout starting to happen and new blood is needed. Attracting new blood and changing the mindset of the other 3 category of rider that Synchro mentioned is a lot harder then it appears. There are so many people out there that have great intentions but are unable to put in the time required. I wish the best to the NSMBA, you will persevere.
bansheeair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #156
FlipFantasia
sure, whatever

FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheeair View Post
I wish the best to the NSMBA, you will persevere.
ditto....
FlipFantasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #157
syncro
sardonic bliss

Location: beyond the realm of the here and now in the what is and formerly what was
syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW. syncro has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
well no shit sherlock.

hence the benefit of having a paid administrator.

but i digress...
syncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #158
shirk

shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kickass View Post
The environment has to be inviting of new members to replace those who are getting burnt out. There should be a process that allows for a smooth replacement transition.
This is the crux right here.

The org was run in a certain manner for a fairly long time by one set of directors. There was some work and effort put in place to transition to another set of directors and a whole new structure. Sub groups doing small tasks and work getting split up into manageable amounts, a chain of command to pass the work around. The wheels fell off this cart.

The NSMBA has lost it's community and social side, aside from trail days there is no reason to really be a part of it let alone a paid member. If there was some HUGE land access issue that required the NSMBA to rally the troops and raise money I bet paid membership would go thru the roof overnight.

I personally wasn't a paid member this year, I was a paid member for WORCA. I ride the Shore 2-3 times a week and Whistler maybe 5 times a year. In order to participate in a unique event I needed to become a WORCA member. In years past I was a paid NSMBA member to take part in Rippers and Twoonie races, non of those happened this year. Bring back some events, re-build a social aspect and embrace the local community of riders. Do this and the people willing to help out will return.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #159
big-ted
tape-cutter

big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW.
^ Brian got it bang on. I was a member last year, and attended a few trail days when I could. This year I've not done anything. I always found the organisation to be a bit of a closed society. If you weren't part of the core, you were very much on the outside. I'll try and make it on Thursday to see how things go down and offer up my $0.05.
big-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #160
Wayne P
resident dirtbag

Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
well no shit sherlock.

hence the benefit of having a paid administrator.

but i digress...
I know I was stating the obvious, you dumb Newfie. I think more than just admin should be paid in order to see better commitments from members.
Wayne P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #161
the Master Plan Dan
Dude-Brah-Dude

the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW. the Master Plan Dan has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirk View Post
This is the crux right here.

The org was run in a certain manner for a fairly long time by one set of directors. There was some work and effort put in place to transition to another set of directors and a whole new structure. Sub groups doing small tasks and work getting split up into manageable amounts, a chain of command to pass the work around. The wheels fell off this cart.

The NSMBA has lost it's community and social side, aside from trail days there is no reason to really be a part of it let alone a paid member. If there was some HUGE land access issue that required the NSMBA to rally the troops and raise money I bet paid membership would go thru the roof overnight.

I personally wasn't a paid member this year, I was a paid member for WORCA. I ride the Shore 2-3 times a week and Whistler maybe 5 times a year. In order to participate in a unique event I needed to become a WORCA member. In years past I was a paid NSMBA member to take part in Rippers and Twoonie races, non of those happened this year. Bring back some events, re-build a social aspect and embrace the local community of riders. Do this and the people willing to help out will return.
Completely agree...

The Rippers became the Shore Festival after attendence numbers either stagnated or dropped. The last year of the Rippers we had fewer attendants that the previous year.

The Rippers were there for someone to take on, however I feel that was poorly advertised. As do to the work that goes into the events the need is there for more than a handfull of people to take them on.

There is a large land access issue... on all three mountains. People are still needed to atttend and report back on the access of Cypress as the Rogers Creek Developement moves further west. Everyone one of the trails that dump west of the works yard (all of them) are in jepordy as that is the location of the proposed Cypress Village. Access to Mystery Dh is up in the air as other user groups want their "access" back.

Seymour is next on the list of mountains to get a full inventory of trails and use. There is a pot boiling on the "otherside" as well that is going to somehow have to be managed.

Fromme is an ongoing work in progress that is going to people going to meetings and letting the land owners know what we would like to see with the access.

The challenges with these above noted issues and letting the general mass of riders know about them is an effective form of communication, which the NSMBA can and should be. You would be amazed who comes out of the wood work when you properly communicate what you want and just what the issues are. When working with the City of vancouver and getting the dirt jumps for Vanier Park we were amazed at how many local residents (many of whom were too old to even think about dirt jumping/ let alone riding) came out for our support. When the information is presented in a clear manner, and all the information is known, people will get behind it.

Without the NSMBA, or an organization of somekind, trails and access will be over looked by the landowners and developers.

The volunteers aren't expected to go to all the meetings, or do hours of work, the more people that the organization has the less work for all.

I am not a paid member of the NSMBA, despite my appeal for the work that Matt and Martin have done, I did not like the direction that it was taking. For 2010 that will change...

Dan
Old 12-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #162
shirk

shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-ted View Post
^ Brian got it bang on. I was a member last year, and attended a few trail days when I could. This year I've not done anything. I always found the organisation to be a bit of a closed society. If you weren't part of the core, you were very much on the outside. I'll try and make it on Thursday to see how things go down and offer up my $0.05.
Sad part is that it's anything but a closed group of people making things happen. Stick around till the end of a trail day and more often than not you'll find the same group of people and will get invited to go for beers and bbq or to go for a ride. It's a very friendly group the same people that do things like organize a Halloween ride and night at the pub open to anyone and everyone.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #163
LeeLau
Trail Plug

LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW.
Sharon and I don't mind doing the advocacy part. It'd be a much stronger voice if there's the backing of the NSMBA behind it. But it's a bit tough doing advocacy and going to meetings etc when we're not kept in the loop. god I sound like I'm complaining.

Well... identify the problem - present the solution is good business.

So my proposed solution is better chain of command re advocacy and better communication re advocacy. I'm just speaking of advocacy btw. To me, that means the muni meetings, sitting with Parks, hiking the trails with Parks, responding to questions from the munis etc. I realize its not the sexiest work but we've both put enough time into it that we'd be OK with continuing.

I won't be at the AGM though. The last time I was there all I did was rant anyway and for all its entertainment value and for all the fact that it was cathartic, nothing changed imo.
LeeLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #164
enduramil
Team NFI

enduramil has achieved FLOW. enduramil has achieved FLOW. enduramil has achieved FLOW. enduramil has achieved FLOW. enduramil has achieved FLOW. enduramil has achieved FLOW. enduramil has achieved FLOW. enduramil has achieved FLOW. enduramil has achieved FLOW. enduramil has achieved FLOW. enduramil has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

I won't be at the AGM though. The last time I was there all I did was rant anyway and for all its entertainment value and for all the fact that it was cathartic, nothing changed imo.

Start at 2:55
YouTube Video
enduramil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #165
heckler's better 1/2
Redneck Pride

heckler's better 1/2 has achieved FLOW. heckler's better 1/2 has achieved FLOW. heckler's better 1/2 has achieved FLOW. heckler's better 1/2 has achieved FLOW. heckler's better 1/2 has achieved FLOW. heckler's better 1/2 has achieved FLOW. heckler's better 1/2 has achieved FLOW. heckler's better 1/2 has achieved FLOW. heckler's better 1/2 has achieved FLOW. heckler's better 1/2 has achieved FLOW. heckler's better 1/2 has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Master Plan Dan View Post
This is a serious matter, please don't come only for the refreshments...
Shoot me for trying to encourage more people to come out and help, geez!

It is a super busy time of the year for most families, and letting people knowing that there will be food and refreshment during the meeting isn't a bad idea.
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: