Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Old 10-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #1
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
2010 Trek Scratch - a full report from Moab

I was a Moab virgin before this trip. I popped my cherry with The Whole Enchilada on the Scratch 9.

Here's how it all went down...
cam@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
roy

roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
harness the gnarness.
This is my new motto!

Sounds like a fun few days and the bikes look great, now where did I leave that spare $5k?

Last edited by roy; 10-30-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling police alerted me to a mistake
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
LeeLau
Trail Plug

LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW.
I hear you on bike setup Cam and on the Porc Rim doubletrack. It's nothing special. Even if the bike wasn't good at doubletrack (and you'd have to try it with the right spring) I can't see that being an issue. That's a hell of a way to have your first Moab ride though. Very thorough

I'd like a bit more info on how it felt in the last Porc rim singletrack though. For those who don't know, that section of trail has a ton of little ledges where you can carry mo and then pop off the trail side back to the singletrack. Not big drops - 3 feet or so but really fun. A bike that can carry its speed well would be a blast there. How was the Scratch there Cam?
LeeLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
roy

roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
For those who don't know, that section of trail has a ton of little ledges where you can carry mo and then pop off the trail side back to the singletrack. Not big drops - 3 feet or so but really fun. A bike that can carry its speed well would be a blast there. How was the Scratch there Cam?
That makes me picture Wade and Jordie in Roam. Is that the trail you mean? about 2.20 into this clip?

YouTube Video
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
LeeLau
Trail Plug

LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW.
that's it! So much fun hauling ass on that trail. there's lots of little half pipes. All the big half pipes are sand dunes "frozen" into shape. so much fun/ Ridiculous traction
LeeLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Bushman
time will tell

Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW.
Nice write up on what looks like a great bike...Nomad killer?

Oh and for you Cam........ http://www.zazzle.com/pd/realviewpop...%3D1.4&dim=811
Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
clarklewis
done

clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW.
i've ridden twice in moab and find it really over-rated.
the slickrock is cool for about an hour, then it gets redundant.
"whole enchilada" is a long pedally downhill with nice views, but the riding itself isn't that interesting.
maybe i'm missing something.

the square-edge chunkfest of porcupine rim felt flattened on my knolly delerium, pretty good on a turner rfx and pivot firebird (dw-link), and not so good on last year's remedy (didn't carry speed, hung up on everything).

i'm not surprised it felt crappy on the scratch. correct spring would help, as would a proper shock (ie. elka), but maybe there's something about trek's suspension?
clarklewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
Vegas Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarklewis View Post
i've ridden twice in moab and find it really over-rated.
the slickrock is cool for about an hour, then it gets redundant.
"whole enchilada" is a long pedally downhill with nice views, but the riding itself isn't that interesting.
maybe i'm missing something.

the square-edge chunkfest of porcupine rim felt flattened on my knolly delerium, pretty good on a turner rfx and pivot firebird (dw-link), and not so good on last year's remedy (didn't carry speed, hung up on everything).

i'm not surprised it felt crappy on the scratch. correct spring would help, as would a proper shock (ie. elka), but maybe there's something about trek's suspension?
heard the same, but I still have to ride slickrock, hazzard, etc. desert riding is pretty cool-sun, topography, etc. and where else can you ride petrified sand dunes?

I rode a Session88 for the summer and the suspension is tight & poppy, vs. slack & plush. Pros & cons with the design as all. Steep, fast tech is not the specialty of the design IMO.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
offroadtoad

offroadtoad has achieved FLOW. offroadtoad has achieved FLOW. offroadtoad has achieved FLOW. offroadtoad has achieved FLOW. offroadtoad has achieved FLOW. offroadtoad has achieved FLOW. offroadtoad has achieved FLOW. offroadtoad has achieved FLOW. offroadtoad has achieved FLOW. offroadtoad has achieved FLOW. offroadtoad has achieved FLOW.
$4600 for the entry level kit, that sure is alot of scratch indeed.
offroadtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Sharon

Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW.
I would agree with Vegas Baby in the ABP suspension seems more tight and poppy rather then plush. This was my observation when I rode the Trek Fuel EX8. This would be a great bike for someone going from a hard tail to a dually who was afraid of the 'plushness' of dual suspension.

I would like to try a longer travel trek to see if this was true on the longer travel bikes as well. Seems it is!

oh and Clark - Moab ROCKS!
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #11
ibeaver

ibeaver is a n00b; standing by
tight and poppy vs slack and plush. wouldn't that have something to do more with how the shock is setup vs the design? I mean, dial the baby up ( air shock with the dial..., air pressure ) or the spring (like Cam mentioned he shoulda rode a 450 or 400 ) and you've just decided to have tight/poopy vs slack/plush? Ok more or less.
All I can really answer is, I've ridden many 6+6 bikes the last few years and the bike that gave me the most "fun" was the Remedy. And this was mainly from the rear end action along with braking behaviour.
What would you call the new Spec Enduro SL - It feels like its only a 4inch rear end until you pop off a drop and then whoa... I was wondering where that was hiding. vs a Slayer where you know you've got some plushness right from the start. BUT both in the hard rails on the brakes aren't as smooth as the APB. As I found out. I never was a trek fan until that one day... where my ass end was hanging on in some of my favourite trails vs skipping sideways from some back end brake jack. These are trails I know like the back of my... hand.

Anyhow... the Scratch looks alright in my books - I too would prefer the AIR machine.

Ride the gnarl!

Last edited by ibeaver; 10-30-2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling mistake eh.
ibeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
Vegas Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeaver View Post
tight and poppy vs slack and plush. wouldn't that have something to do more with how the shock is setup vs the design? I mean, dial the baby up ( air shock with the dial..., air pressure ) or the spring (like Cam mentioned he shoulda rode a 450 or 400 ) and you've just decided to have tight/poopy vs slack/plush?
Not my first rodeo-well aware of shock set up-air and coil.
Don't get me wrong, pros and cons with this feel-not all bad, depends what the rider wants.
Will say my Demo 7 is way more plush than the 88 ever was. But it doesn't pedal/accelerate nearly the same.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
ibeaver

ibeaver is a n00b; standing by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Baby! View Post
Not my first rodeo-well aware of shock set up-air and coil.
Don't get me wrong, pros and cons with this feel-not all bad, depends what the rider wants.
Will say my Demo 7 is way more plush than the 88 ever was. But it doesn't pedal/accelerate nearly the same.
well, for sure not trying to say I'm the rodeo champ... just saying (that I think) you can fit a shock to a style more than you can the bike... but now I think about riding a Devinci Wilson and that just felt soft. But not so much as plush. Or when the seals on my super light were gone, and with almost no air in it, felt really slack and plush. Albeit with only 3.75' of plushness.
Anyhow. its what you like that matters as you say.

rock on.
ibeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:07 AM   #14
jimi2crank

jimi2crank has achieved FLOW. jimi2crank has achieved FLOW. jimi2crank has achieved FLOW. jimi2crank has achieved FLOW. jimi2crank has achieved FLOW. jimi2crank has achieved FLOW. jimi2crank has achieved FLOW. jimi2crank has achieved FLOW. jimi2crank has achieved FLOW. jimi2crank has achieved FLOW. jimi2crank has achieved FLOW.
Looks like a nice bike but the bike companies are getting carried away with their price points. Also why is there still such a big gap between CDN & US prices? Our dollar is pretty close these days.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:26 AM   #15
Vegas Baby!

has to do with a multi pg doc that, although difficult for the customer to understand, makes perfect sense to industry personnel...jump thread.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=127823&page=4
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: