Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Old 10-29-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
Semenuk's NWD 10 segment - the making of vid

This is a killer clip all on its own.

Check out Brandon sending it in the Alpine...
cam@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
New guy 68

It is some beautiful riding for sure. But it makes me wonder if mountain-biking is really going in the right direction. We started a a very "green" activity. This is the best example of the opposite. "Worth the effort for a wicked segment?" I think the question is more "Was it worth the destruction?" This WAS a pristine location. How can we pretend respecting the environment we ride in, if act like this? There are tons of ways to use the terrain features with minimal impact. Each mountain offers tons of opportunities, but hey! Lets go on a location that just looks good and build something THROUGH it! Bring machinery, use a heli, move tons of dirt. This just does not look right in a place that is that beautiful.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
ryant

ryant has achieved FLOW.ryant has achieved FLOW.ryant has achieved FLOW.ryant has achieved FLOW.ryant has achieved FLOW.ryant has achieved FLOW.ryant has achieved FLOW.ryant has achieved FLOW.ryant has achieved FLOW.ryant has achieved FLOW.ryant has achieved FLOW.
hmmm, not sure I 100% agree with digging up a nice natural hill top for a one off segment. I mean I know it will grow over of course but it is kinda just chewing things up no???
ryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
slynx

slynx has achieved FLOW.slynx has achieved FLOW.slynx has achieved FLOW.slynx has achieved FLOW.slynx has achieved FLOW.slynx has achieved FLOW.slynx has achieved FLOW.slynx has achieved FLOW.slynx has achieved FLOW.slynx has achieved FLOW.slynx has achieved FLOW.
Gotta agree with ryant on this one.

Alpine takes so long to grow back. I love mtn biking and trails so to some degree I accept the destruction of wilderness for trails. However, this is the next level.

I hope this does not set a new precendent of trail building for mtb movies. If it does the alpine could start looking pretty ugly in a couple of years.

Last edited by slynx; 10-29-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: just because
slynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Rainmaker
rocket surgeon

Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.
Im with you guys... no question the segment/lines are awesome.

Driving an excavator and ripping around on Quads up there tho... not sure if thats so cool.

Building, in general, in the alpine, seems like it should be something done carefully, let alone building with heavy machinery.
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
FlipFantasia
sure, whatever

FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
Im with you guys... no question the segment/lines are awesome.

Driving an excavator and ripping around on Quads up there tho... not sure if thats so cool.

Building, in general, in the alpine, seems like it should be something done carefully, let alone building with heavy machinery.
not only that, but high alpine trail building is something that is very very very hard to get approvals for....one of our commercial rec clients was having trouble even getting permission to build trails in the sub alpine...
FlipFantasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Rainmaker
rocket surgeon

Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.Rainmaker has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFantasia View Post
not only that, but high alpine trail building is something that is very very very hard to get approvals for....one of our commercial rec clients was having trouble even getting permission to build trails in the sub alpine...
so did they get approval to do this? or did they do it gorilla stylez?
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Mic
The Diaper Diaries

Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.
This is just wrong. On so many levels.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
Jeff2

I'm guessing this is private land, maybe a ski resort? Not crown land.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
FlipFantasia
sure, whatever

FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
so did they get approval to do this? or did they do it gorilla stylez?
I have no idea, I'm only commenting on what I've experienced with our clients.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
pedalhound
Artist formerly known as mudpuppy

pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.
Yeah I wondered how they got approval for that segment when I first saw it a while back...
pedalhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
Unregistered2

im not saying its right necessarily, but with the money red bull has im sure they could manage to get approval to do something like this...
Old 10-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
FlipFantasia
sure, whatever

all that being said.....I don't think trails in the alpine are inheriently bad, I enjoy alpine riding a lot, and know that you can build quality trails in that environment.....it appears that the majority of the works were at least at/below treeline, major excavation in the alpine probably isn't a good thing, it's a bit different than building a narrow singletrack...

edit - was the site decommisioned and rehab'd post shoot?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
syngltrkmnd

syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via AIM to syngltrkmnd
I'm not too stoked about it. I'd respect "the effort" if there were clips of Brandon and Co. being dropped off by heli with nothing but packs and shovels.
Maybe it's just my crazy mind, but I am reminded in the "shift" in style when Ryan Leech introduced his "no set-up hops" style to the riding community... Maybe such a novel development could take place in big mountain riding where the impact is much smaller. I mean, if Semenuk is just going to rip this one line for a movie, why does the trail need to be 10 or 20 feet wide? I am more "wowed" by the likes of Berrecloth and McCaul who pull big moves on singletrack in the woods.
I can't help but be disappointed in Red Bull and Trek et al.
Had I not seen this behind the scenes clip, I probably would have watched NWD 10 without giving a second thought to what it takes to build these kinds of lines. Now, I am confident that I'll watch it with a much more critical eye.
syngltrkmnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
Ace:Hayden
RAWRR

Ace:Hayden has achieved FLOW.Ace:Hayden has achieved FLOW.Ace:Hayden has achieved FLOW.Ace:Hayden has achieved FLOW.Ace:Hayden has achieved FLOW.Ace:Hayden has achieved FLOW.Ace:Hayden has achieved FLOW.Ace:Hayden has achieved FLOW.Ace:Hayden has achieved FLOW.Ace:Hayden has achieved FLOW.Ace:Hayden has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via MSN to Ace:Hayden
i dont care what anyone says, super sick spot, and there is more things to worry about effecting the environment than making a line on a mountain.

WWLMMD?
Ace:Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: