Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 10-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #61
apeshape
In the trees

apeshape has achieved FLOW. apeshape has achieved FLOW. apeshape has achieved FLOW. apeshape has achieved FLOW. apeshape has achieved FLOW. apeshape has achieved FLOW. apeshape has achieved FLOW. apeshape has achieved FLOW. apeshape has achieved FLOW. apeshape has achieved FLOW. apeshape has achieved FLOW.
I have a simple formula for reviewing a bike. If the bike company gives me beer it is one hell of a ride and landmark in 2-wheeled technology. But if they don't buy me beer it I tell the truth, meaning they should have bought me beer.

I honestly like the multiple reviewers of varying skill levels thing is a good approach myself. It gives an honest cross-section of performance. It also helps if the people reviewing the product have the balls to call a dud a dud and have the intellect to back it up.

Last edited by apeshape; 10-15-2009 at 05:11 AM.
apeshape is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #62
Wayne P
resident dirtbag

Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW. Wayne P has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFO View Post
Cam if ur asking about reviews in general for posting to NSMB , then yes i say start getting more team "Joe public" to reivew said bikes...

you'll get more mileage out of them i bet..

this site has had basicly "Pro-level" reviews for many years, its time for a change...
That's because to get to that level you've general put in enough hard learning time to know what works well and what does not. I would never buy a bike based off what your average weekend warrior said about it.
Wayne P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 AM   #63
simon@nshore

simon@nshore has achieved FLOW. simon@nshore has achieved FLOW. simon@nshore has achieved FLOW. simon@nshore has achieved FLOW. simon@nshore has achieved FLOW. simon@nshore has achieved FLOW. simon@nshore has achieved FLOW. simon@nshore has achieved FLOW. simon@nshore has achieved FLOW. simon@nshore has achieved FLOW. simon@nshore has achieved FLOW.
gotta agree with wayne here...

a "pro level" tester could test a bike for any level of riding and i'm going to bet has a reference level a hundred times that of any "average joe". same goes for non-pro kick ass riders like the local boys who occassionaly write here on nsmb. they ride alot, try a lot of stuff and know what works. that being said, they are also going to have to focus on things they normally wouldn't to make their reviews applicable to different riding levels (ie. slower speed performance and characteristics, botched landings, standover, handling characteristics involving more braking, etc. - stuff they normally don't even think about.)

while "average joe" tester's opinions are nice, IMO they are WAY less relevant given their significantly smaller frame of reference and the fact that their review is limited by and influenced by thier riding abilities.
simon@nshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 AM   #64
dannyzm

dannyzm has reached the snowline! dannyzm has reached the snowline! dannyzm has reached the snowline! dannyzm has reached the snowline! dannyzm has reached the snowline! dannyzm has reached the snowline! dannyzm has reached the snowline! dannyzm has reached the snowline! dannyzm has reached the snowline! dannyzm has reached the snowline! dannyzm has reached the snowline!
You guys should let me test bikes, I'm in my 4th year of mechanical engineering and I put my bikes through 200+ laps in the bike park each summer.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:20 AM   #65
FlipFantasia
sure, whatever

FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne P View Post
I would never buy a bike based off what your average weekend warrior said about it.
this.....I don't even trust what my better than average friends say without trying it out for myself, cause guess what, what works for someone else, doesn't always work for you!

Last edited by FlipFantasia; 10-15-2009 at 03:23 AM.
FlipFantasia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:28 AM   #66
Aeropusher
I am Sidebite!

Aeropusher has achieved FLOW. Aeropusher has achieved FLOW. Aeropusher has achieved FLOW. Aeropusher has achieved FLOW. Aeropusher has achieved FLOW. Aeropusher has achieved FLOW. Aeropusher has achieved FLOW. Aeropusher has achieved FLOW. Aeropusher has achieved FLOW. Aeropusher has achieved FLOW. Aeropusher has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFantasia View Post
....what works for someone else, doesn't always work for you!
quoted because it needs to be said again
Old 10-15-2009, 03:46 AM   #67
DarylMac
Born again Grom

DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW. DarylMac has achieved FLOW.
Top Gear does the best automobile reviews. Period. I would like to emulate their formula for bikes.
DarylMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:47 AM   #68
pedalhound
Artist formerly known as mudpuppy

pedalhound has achieved FLOW. pedalhound has achieved FLOW. pedalhound has achieved FLOW. pedalhound has achieved FLOW. pedalhound has achieved FLOW. pedalhound has achieved FLOW. pedalhound has achieved FLOW. pedalhound has achieved FLOW. pedalhound has achieved FLOW. pedalhound has achieved FLOW. pedalhound has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylMac View Post
Top Gear does the best automobile reviews. Period. I would like to emulate their formula for bikes.
Because they are with the BBC they are not advertiser driven...so they can be a bit more honest with their reviews.
pedalhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:06 AM   #69
King of Fasia
I'm Ron Burgundy?

King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW.
Put it this way, I won't be buying my next bike based on how many hot flaming chili's out of 5 it gets

Shed head!

King of Fasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:19 AM   #70
Lady Gravity
meow?

Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW. Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW. Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW. Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW. Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW. Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW. Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW. Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW. Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW. Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW. Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Fasia View Post
Put it this way, I won't be buying my next bike based on how many hot flaming chili's out of 5 it gets
i would never buy a bike based on a reviewer's "star" rating. i like the non-pro biker reviews however as it gives me information on how the bike rides, different setups ie stock vs. different components, shock and fork opinions and how it handles on different terrain.

i use a review to help me decide if a bike is worth considering adding to my stable. the odds of me buying a bike without a test ride myself however is pretty slim.

and i agree that a review written by someone you've never met doesn't mean a heck of a lot. however, having ridden with lee, sharon and andrew makes their reviews a little more meaningful. also knowing that they have to return the bike after the review (in most cases) IMO makes it pretty honest, unlike a pro biker that gets to keep theirs and sell it at the end of the season.
Lady Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:50 AM   #71
roy

roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylMac View Post
Are you serious? If we were to review bikes top gear style, all you would get are super bikes and the reviewer would say wow its got a million inches of suspension! Therefore it must be better and does awesome skids! Entertaining maybe but top gear don't do car reviews.

That does bring up something interesting though, it would be cool to have bikes go up against the clock down one of the north shore trails with say wade or some other equally talented rider becoming the bike equivalent of the stig!
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:57 AM   #72
roy

roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW. roy has achieved FLOW.
how about some new top gear style features too, mtn bike starts on a reasonably priced walmart bike?
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:06 AM   #73
Oldfart

Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Stubb View Post
this

I've met plenty of riders who are decent enough riders but when it comes to setting up their bike they don't really have a clue how to dial everything in. Suspension setup can greatly effect how the bike preforms for the test period. If you don't have the know how to do this you shouldnt be testing bikes.
Yes in one of the road magazines I read, Marcel Wust does bike tests. Road pro very well but some of the stuff he writes make it apparent that he does not know how a bike functions. He does know how the bike should feel though. How many times in MBA do read that bike is not that good because the tires are shitty or the stem is the wrong length.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:14 AM   #74
LeeLau
Trail Plug

LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW.
roy - i wanted to buy a CCM Crappy tire special and take it to Starfish and do dorp after dorp after dorp.

Problem is it's a bit like Russian roulette. No-one knows when the last person will get the dud and emasculate themselves. The upside is that Crappy Tire has no questions asked return policy.

Digression aside it sounds like getting test people to ride the bike is a good idea. In my mind it must be someone who can articulate an opinion. I've had Wilkez and Robot do this and they know how to formulate a written cogent opinion. I ride with a lot of people who are good riders but can't say much beyond "this sucks" or "this bike roolz". There's a lot more people in the latter category then in the former category.

but its something to work on for future reviews.
LeeLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:19 AM   #75
FullMonty
I'm Surrey-ous.

FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
How many times in MBA do read that bike is not that good because the tires are shitty or the stem is the wrong length.
You do realize that the one and only true measure of a bicycle is whether or not it has 3 water bottle mounts, right?

My Rune is definitely not up to MBA spec with its no bottle braze-ons. Two is borderline acceptable, but still really not enough.
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: