Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Old 08-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
stuart@nsmb.com
Writer/editor/photo taker

stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
REVIEW- Kona Coilair Supreme

Lee Lau rides lots and is hard on bikes. He also know what he likes. Did he like the Magic Link on Kona's Coilair Supreme? There's only one way to find out. Read for yourself.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert
stuart@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
FullMonty
I'm Surrey-ous.

FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.FullMonty has achieved FLOW.
seems like the magic link would help with square-edged bump absorption, allows the axle to move backwards initially...
Old 08-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Znarf

Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.Znarf has achieved FLOW.
But also seems like a really complicated suspension designs, kind of like the weird designs of the 90s.

The 2010 looks really boring in my oppinion (the one in the Fox grey/anthrazite/silver).

Don
Znarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
dhphoenix
Un-Broken

dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.
Interesting review.
I bought a 2009 CoilAir at the end of June. Mine has a Gravity Dropper Turbo and a Lyrik U-Turn, but is otherwise stock. I think it climbs great, in fact I've noticed, on the trails here in Arizona, that if I turn the ProPedal on, the bike doesn't climb nearly as well as when its off - our trails are very rocky and you need active suspension to keep traction on the rear wheel.

I think its a capable bike going downhill...but he's right that it takes a lot more input from the pilot. This isn't a big gravity sled and if you get sloppy with your lines, it will let you know.

So far, I've been pretty impressed with mine and I have noticed the Magic Link doing its thing.
dhphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
wilkez
Ahhhhhhh motherland

wilkez has achieved FLOW.wilkez has achieved FLOW.wilkez has achieved FLOW.wilkez has achieved FLOW.wilkez has achieved FLOW.wilkez has achieved FLOW.wilkez has achieved FLOW.wilkez has achieved FLOW.wilkez has achieved FLOW.wilkez has achieved FLOW.wilkez has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMonty View Post
seems like the magic link would help with square-edged bump absorption, allows the axle to move backwards initially...
I rode it very hard the other day (some might call me a hack) for about 6 hours on both loamy up and down shore XC trails as well as steep cypress gnar with jumps, drops , rock faces and flow. Here are my thoughts on it:

This bike makes you work HARD. Some people have said that they never noticed the magic link doing its thing - I disagree completely. On sharp edged bumps, it felt as if the bike got "stuck" on it. Reason being is the first thing that happens when you are pedaling and you hit a sharp bump is that the magic link engages and changes the geometry. To me this felt like i kept moving forward and the bike was preloading me to get bounced onto my face.

Also, it seems most people agree that the bike requires a lot of rider input. I felt like I had to work twice as hard to maneuver the bike as any other AM/FR bike I have ridden (Banshee rune, rocky slayer, fluid, endorphin). When I wanted to rail a corner, I leaned in hard as per usual but it felt that more than half of my energy went into making the magic link activate, and I didn't get the expected response from the bike. Same thing when you shift your weight back to manual or drop - the suspension felt mushy.

PROS: the bike was very plush, good geometry for all around use, amazing components (but I would expect that for a 6 grand price tag).

CONS: suspension is a pain in the ass to set up, and the average user will never take the time to do it properly and will not like this bike. Terrible at technical climbing due to the "hang up" feeling of magic link. The bike made you work far too hard on downhills to get any response from it, which is something I demand from any bike I ride. Just in general the fact that the magic link changes the geometry makes the bike feel very inconsistent and makes it hard to predict what will happen to it in certain situations on the trails.
wilkez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
LeeLau
Trail Plug

LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.
This may have inadvertently got snipped - Here's some other pictures of the Coilair getting tested

http://photos.nsmb.com/browseimages....earchid=199356

LeeLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Robot
Sheep. Everywhere.

Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.
hahaha, tell it like it is tyler.
Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
LeeLau
Trail Plug

LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot View Post
hahaha, tell it like it is tyler.
I would have loved to let you ride it C and get your impressions too.
LeeLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Robot
Sheep. Everywhere.

Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.Robot has achieved FLOW.
Maybe another time! Hit me up for some riding before the weather turns.
Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
syngltrkmnd

syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.syngltrkmnd has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via AIM to syngltrkmnd
Seems like the G2 should come with a cockpit-adjustable seatpost, especially for $6K! Maybe a version does, or will.
syngltrkmnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
dhphoenix
Un-Broken

dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.dhphoenix has achieved FLOW.
I climbed about 2500 feet on mine on Saturday - the rider behind me noticed that my rear wheel seemed to be hanging up on every root or rock. That, combined with the cheapie rear hub made getting the bike over those obstacles a challenge.

I'm probably going to order the floating brake kit, I've heard that it makes a world of difference on this bike.
dhphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
I added the link to your images to the aricle Lee.

Nice work on that. Thanks!
cam@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #13
rewoga
I am Molech!!!!

rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.rewoga has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via Yahoo to rewoga
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
This may have inadvertently got snipped - Here's some other pictures of the Coilair getting tested

http://photos.nsmb.com/browseimages....earchid=199356

Hey - I've got patents pending on that particular testing technique...I will forward you licensing information shortly

I write interesting stories with mediocre quality photo's about things I do and crazy shit that happens!

http://www.citizenclass.ca
rewoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #14
Tolon

Lee Lau

ok so how does Lee Lau get to ride so much in so many cool places..?
the article asks the question...what's the answer?
I'm new to NSMB.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #15
Lady Gravity
meow?

Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.Lady Gravity has achieved FLOW.
^^an extra 10points if you end up lying on the ground and the bike hits you on the head on its way over (which happened to me last week)
Lady Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: