Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Old 07-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
Big Hit III Review

Mark Steinebach laid a beating to a 2009 Specialized Big Hit III.

Want to hear how this bargain DH sled survived?

Click here...
cam@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
wa90
chocolatefooter

wa90 has achieved FLOW. wa90 has achieved FLOW. wa90 has achieved FLOW. wa90 has achieved FLOW. wa90 has achieved FLOW. wa90 has achieved FLOW. wa90 has achieved FLOW. wa90 has achieved FLOW. wa90 has achieved FLOW. wa90 has achieved FLOW. wa90 has achieved FLOW.
Nice write up. I had to Google the AMC Pacer:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658042,00.html

I guess you love it or hate it but I do like the swoops and the practical benefits are there. At least they haven't covered it in tattoos or chintz patterns this year, but it ain't no Session 88, that's true...
wa90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
biggles604

biggles604 has achieved FLOW. biggles604 has achieved FLOW. biggles604 has achieved FLOW. biggles604 has achieved FLOW. biggles604 has achieved FLOW. biggles604 has achieved FLOW. biggles604 has achieved FLOW. biggles604 has achieved FLOW. biggles604 has achieved FLOW. biggles604 has achieved FLOW. biggles604 has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
The shorter travel and the more “budget” shock and fork did not kept the bike stuck to the ground. You can point it downhill, lay off the stoppers and hang on. The Big Hit III is DH worthy and it inspired confidence to really mach some of the runs.
I'm not sure what you were trying to say here. The pros say it's great going downhill, but you mention that the suspension didn't keep it stuck to the ground (I think, the grammar error confuses it). The two statements seem to contradict.
biggles604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
Typo - my bad. Fixed now

Quote:
The shorter travel and the more “budget” shock and fork kept the bike stuck to the ground. You can point it downhill, lay off the stoppers and hang on. The Big Hit III is DH worthy and it inspired confidence to really mach some of the runs.
cam@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Bryce
Registered Abuser

Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW.
Spesh should ditch the Demo 7 and fill out the Big Hit line more with one or two higher end models
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Jerry-Rig

Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW. Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.
there are several advantages the Demo7 has over the BigHit, but it costs more.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
M@M
No-steez

M@M has achieved FLOW. M@M has achieved FLOW. M@M has achieved FLOW. M@M has achieved FLOW. M@M has achieved FLOW. M@M has achieved FLOW. M@M has achieved FLOW. M@M has achieved FLOW. M@M has achieved FLOW. M@M has achieved FLOW. M@M has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via MSN to M@M
The very miniscule price difference between the US and CDN MSRP is interesting..has the gouging here eased up a bit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy kohut
don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too........
M@M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
J0SH
ಠ_ಠ

J0SH has achieved FLOW. J0SH has achieved FLOW. J0SH has achieved FLOW. J0SH has achieved FLOW. J0SH has achieved FLOW. J0SH has achieved FLOW. J0SH has achieved FLOW. J0SH has achieved FLOW. J0SH has achieved FLOW. J0SH has achieved FLOW. J0SH has achieved FLOW.
Demo 7s feel quite different to the Big Hit. The bighit is great, but Demos are just the shit.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:16 AM   #9
BrettW

BrettW has achieved FLOW. BrettW has achieved FLOW. BrettW has achieved FLOW. BrettW has achieved FLOW. BrettW has achieved FLOW. BrettW has achieved FLOW. BrettW has achieved FLOW. BrettW has achieved FLOW. BrettW has achieved FLOW. BrettW has achieved FLOW. BrettW has achieved FLOW.
Anyone recognize which trails those photos where taken on? Looks pretty nice!

Last edited by BrettW; 07-16-2009 at 09:59 AM.
BrettW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #10
baloom
suburb-dog middle-class

baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettW View Post
Anyone recognize which trails those photos where taken on? Looks pretty nice!
All of the riding pics were on a variety of trails on Vedder Mountain.

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca
baloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
Vegas Baby!

How come 'spesh' never offered a frame only version of this bike?
Thanks for the review-long awaited.
btw-original Big Hit had a 26 rear wheel.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
Dynamo

Dynamo has achieved FLOW. Dynamo has achieved FLOW. Dynamo has achieved FLOW. Dynamo has achieved FLOW. Dynamo has achieved FLOW. Dynamo has achieved FLOW. Dynamo has achieved FLOW. Dynamo has achieved FLOW. Dynamo has achieved FLOW. Dynamo has achieved FLOW. Dynamo has achieved FLOW.
I obviously cannot speak for Specialized, but I would guess that riders willing to splash out for a frame-only probably want either an SX Trail or Demo. With the Big Hit's current "value" market placement, to anyone willing to build a bike up from a frame it lacks the appeal of either of its two siblings.

Not sure when the original Big Hit came out, but I know that as far back as 2001 (or maybe it was 2002, but I'm pretty sure it was 2001) Big Hits had 24s on the back. I assume the author was thinking the same vintage. Was there a generation of Big Hits before that?
Dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
baloom
suburb-dog middle-class

baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW. baloom has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
I obviously cannot speak for Specialized, but I would guess that riders willing to splash out for a frame-only probably want either an SX Trail or Demo. With the Big Hit's current "value" market placement, to anyone willing to build a bike up from a frame it lacks the appeal of either of its two siblings.

Not sure when the original Big Hit came out, but I know that as far back as 2001 (or maybe it was 2002, but I'm pretty sure it was 2001) Big Hits had 24s on the back. I assume the author was thinking the same vintage. Was there a generation of Big Hits before that?
I would agree with your fairly wise assertion re: the value (or lack there-of) of building up a bike from a value-based frame. The real value in this kind of build is that it can get someone onto the trails with pretty good gear at a much lower price point than would otherwise be possible. Spesh hits the mark in that regard.

As far as I am aware and according to my researching for this piece, the original BigHits had 24 inch hoops out back but I welcome any contrary opinions (including some proofs please, in the way of a parts spec from said bike).
baloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #14
Vegas Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloom View Post
As far as I am aware and according to my researching for this piece, the original BigHits had 24 inch hoops out back but I welcome any contrary opinions (including some proofs please, in the way of a parts spec from said bike).
I owned a 2000 Big Hit and it had a 26 on the back. Gay fenders and all.

http://forums.freeriden.co.nz/files/..._hit-bikes.jpg
Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
Loopie
In the Woods

Loopie has achieved FLOW. Loopie has achieved FLOW. Loopie has achieved FLOW. Loopie has achieved FLOW. Loopie has achieved FLOW. Loopie has achieved FLOW. Loopie has achieved FLOW. Loopie has achieved FLOW. Loopie has achieved FLOW. Loopie has achieved FLOW. Loopie has achieved FLOW.
Nice, balanced review...great!
Loopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: