Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Old 06-02-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
stuart@nsmb.com
Writer/editor/photo taker

stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW. stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
REVIEW - Santa Cruz Driver 8

Connor Macleod rips on the new Santa Cruz Driver 8. Did he like what he found? Was this more than enough bike for the steep and gnarly lines here on the Shore?

Check out Connor's review.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert
stuart@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Bubba
Not pedalling

Bubba has reached the snowline! Bubba has reached the snowline! Bubba has reached the snowline! Bubba has reached the snowline! Bubba has reached the snowline! Bubba has reached the snowline! Bubba has reached the snowline! Bubba has reached the snowline! Bubba has reached the snowline! Bubba has reached the snowline! Bubba has reached the snowline!
So, you didn't like it?
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
clarklewis
done

clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW.
sounds like a pretty friendly bike.
how nasty was the pedal kickback (from chain growth) when mashing on uneven terrain (ie. compared to vp-free)?
how does it ride compared to the nomad and V10? is it a big nomad or little V10?
guess these are tough questions since this is your first virtual pivot.
is the lower linkage exposed like that on the nomad?
did you ever wish for a slacker head angle?
if it were slacker, how do you think the longer wheelbase would affect things on tight trails (ie. did you find it long already)?
do you think rock shox will ever make proper seals for the totem (3 years and counting...)?
when is jesus coming back?
clarklewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
Vegas Baby!

Nice pics and a great review after some good honest thrash tests.
If I hadn't grabbed an 88 I'd be in on the 8!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Da Peach
tro lo lo lo

Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW.
Definitely a fan. Saw the two page ad in a bike mag a while back and it caught my eye straight away. I just got a Blindside not too long ago, and there are times when I wish I'd got a bit of a smaller bike.
Da Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Sharon

Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW.
Awesome shots showing the bike in its element!

Great review!
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
Feral
Your suck goes to 11..

Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW.
Mine comes hopefully mid/end June! Yay!!! No ano until Sept/Oct though so I picked the perty blue one..
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
big-ted
tape-cutter

big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW. big-ted has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Peach View Post
Definitely a fan. Saw the two page ad in a bike mag a while back and it caught my eye straight away. I just got a Blindside not too long ago, and there are times when I wish I'd got a bit of a smaller bike.
Lies and slander! Blasphemer!
big-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
Dan Austin

Dan Austin has achieved FLOW. Dan Austin has achieved FLOW. Dan Austin has achieved FLOW. Dan Austin has achieved FLOW. Dan Austin has achieved FLOW. Dan Austin has achieved FLOW. Dan Austin has achieved FLOW. Dan Austin has achieved FLOW. Dan Austin has achieved FLOW. Dan Austin has achieved FLOW. Dan Austin has achieved FLOW.
Great Review, great read, lots covered and lots to take in. Well done.
Dan Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
dirty deeds
done dirt cheap

dirty deeds has achieved FLOW. dirty deeds has achieved FLOW. dirty deeds has achieved FLOW. dirty deeds has achieved FLOW. dirty deeds has achieved FLOW. dirty deeds has achieved FLOW. dirty deeds has achieved FLOW. dirty deeds has achieved FLOW. dirty deeds has achieved FLOW. dirty deeds has achieved FLOW. dirty deeds has achieved FLOW.
how can you call it maintenance free when you blow up the front and rear suspension in a couple of months of riding? - 185lb is not that heavy for a large bike. I'd say that's average weight for a L and the stock springs should easily accomodate. I'd say that's a damning inditement on the RS suspension.
"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself --out of boredom?-- is called "Slopestyle" --doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver-
dirty deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
Da Peach
tro lo lo lo

Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW. Da Peach has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-ted View Post
Lies and slander! Blasphemer!
It looks a lot easier to hoist over fallen tree after fallen tree!!!
Da Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
kperras

kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW.
The review seems to be inaccurate as it is pretty clear that the reviewer in is smitten with a new bike (this could be any bike) and not only the Driver 8.

It's pretty clear the review is targeted at the whole build rather than just the frame, and with the suspension failure and odd component specs, the reviewer still gives it a high ranking. Where's Lee Lau when you need him with his critical yet fair eye?

What did I take away from reading in between the lines? The suspension failed, which is a huge, scrathc that, MAJOR disappointment. The 38T ring up front (reviewer made a note but didn't take points off) combined with a road cassette (dare I be politically incorrect?) is retarded for any FREERIDE bike. 42 lbs, while at the upper echelon of acceptable bike weights is a bit high for an expensive bike (this is a personal view). The frame was not tested in a FR environment that can require pedalling uphill for an extended period of time (like Fromme or Squamish?). Including the angles and measurements was a nice touch but long chainstays don't make a bike nimble and stable.

I enjoyed the amazing pictures and appreciate the effort it takes to get that many shots for the article. I just thought that the reviewers biases could have been laid out and that the bike's rating could have reflected issues that seem to have been ignored to due "bike infatuation".

Last edited by kperras; 06-02-2009 at 06:40 PM.
kperras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #13
bzerk
thinking of freight train

bzerk has achieved FLOW. bzerk has achieved FLOW. bzerk has achieved FLOW. bzerk has achieved FLOW. bzerk has achieved FLOW. bzerk has achieved FLOW. bzerk has achieved FLOW. bzerk has achieved FLOW. bzerk has achieved FLOW. bzerk has achieved FLOW. bzerk has achieved FLOW.
Great review. Something about Santa Cruz that gets reviewers to be emotionally attached to the bikes. I agree with the comment above that the reviewer seems to be letting the facts get in the way of accurate reporting - but that's ok with me. Bikes ownership is 50% emotional.

A few pounds lighter and the D8 could be the ideal bike for me. I'm really keen to build up something like this with a target of 38 pounds. Shore/Park/Shore/Park. Weight is the only concern for me.

I'll wait a year and buy the Driver 8 version2. Throw in a bit of carbon here and there, and voila, an 8 lb frame. It seems that SCB does a redesign every 12 months these days. Looks like they announce a new Blur for every new issue of MBA.
bzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
clarklewis
done

clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kperras View Post
The review seems to be inaccurate as it is pretty clear that the reviewer in is smitten with a new bike (this could be any bike) and not only the Driver 8....
wow, i was trying to be nice eariler. i didn't think it was very critical either, but that doesn't make it a "bad" review necessarily. having no previous virtual pivot experience is a major limitation, but the reviewer is a damn good rider.

i agree that "nimble" and "stable" are generally exclusive terms. previous VP bikes by santa cruz have been quite long in the rear, and therefore a bit clumsy on tight trails (anyone rocking a vp-free knows this). this is partially made up for by ridiculously steep california head angles (to keep the wheelbase reasonable), but that can be less than comforting on really steep trails. its a bit of a franken-mix.

blowing up suspension that quickly is strange, although leaking seals on a totem is not exactly news.

to me, the whole point of that bike is to be able to pedal up, so a double-ring setup and 11-32 cassette makes more sense, but one can do whatever one wishes of course.

i really really like my new nomad, so they're obviously doing something right with their bikes.
clarklewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
Bryce
Registered Abuser

Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW.
Good write-up, love the pics. Looks like it went up Fromme at least once
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: