Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Trail News/Maintenance

Trail News/Maintenance Trail building info, issues, and discussions

Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
fluid-druid
Cold lampin'

fluid-druid has achieved FLOW. fluid-druid has achieved FLOW. fluid-druid has achieved FLOW. fluid-druid has achieved FLOW. fluid-druid has achieved FLOW. fluid-druid has achieved FLOW. fluid-druid has achieved FLOW. fluid-druid has achieved FLOW. fluid-druid has achieved FLOW. fluid-druid has achieved FLOW. fluid-druid has achieved FLOW.
Newbie question about an easy trail that could use some love

As some of you may remember, I got my first "real" bike last summer (a used 4.5" travel Da Bomb Cherry bomb). SO, I'm the latest almost-40 dad out there having a blast! I'm very excited to get back on the trails for my sophomore year. I've ridden Fromme twice so far this season, and already conquered my nemesis of last year (the A-frame on NH).... so I'm stoked about being off to a good start.

My question is about a much different trail however. I live right near Cap College...and when I'm just out for some XC, my bud and I ride up to Rice Lake along the road and RJ trail network. On the way back, we usually take the trail which heads West off the road (RIGHT side of the road if you are heading DOWN from rice lake, and a short ways before the cemetary), and leads to a fairly steep section, which dumps you out near Lynn Creek, and then we ride along the gravel trail and hit the Inter River bike park.

That trail is easy, but pretty fun. However, it could (IMO) use a bit of love. There are some big drainage issues near the road where its still pretty flat (puddles and mud pits).... and when you get to the bottom of the "steep" section, there is a pretty old plank bridge across a small creek. Its in pretty rough shape, and the approach and exit doesn't ride very well (at least for me).

Forgive my newbness... but I'm curious:

A) Do you all know the trail I'm referring to?
B) Does anyone else ride this trail (ever)...and agree with me about its need for a bit of love?
C) What procedure would I go through to a) do work on it myself, and/or b) get the pros to spend a day on it?

There is quite a network of criss-crossing trails in there...and although its not challenging by any stretch...it pretty fun to ride, and makes for a nice trip down to the bike park.

It is definitely a hiker/biker shared trail, but if it was completely up to me (because I live so close to it), I'd love to see a couple of "bike-only" side-lines, with a ladder or two thrown in for fun, a bit more challenge and "flow"...

I've been lurking and posting here for long enough to know how tight the builders are here, and how sensitive this type of discussion can be.. so forgive me if I'm WAY out of bounds, but I'm curious.
fluid-druid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Bryce
Registered Abuser

Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW.
I know the trail you mean. I don't think anyone would mind a little work being done in the swampy areas, or having that one huge fallen tree removed (about 1/3rd of the way down), but personally I think it would be better if you could do it without putting in anything 'stunty' or bike-specific. They seem to prefer that area kept as predominantly 'hiking'. And it also sees very little bike traffic.

Organizing official work would probably take more time than actually doing the work IMO. I'd say go for it if you know what you're doing.

Good on ya

Last edited by Bryce; 03-16-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
Rooter

Rooter has achieved FLOW. Rooter has achieved FLOW. Rooter has achieved FLOW. Rooter has achieved FLOW. Rooter has achieved FLOW. Rooter has achieved FLOW. Rooter has achieved FLOW. Rooter has achieved FLOW. Rooter has achieved FLOW. Rooter has achieved FLOW. Rooter has achieved FLOW.
The DNV is going to do work in there this summer.

Get a hold of the NSMBA at info<at>nsmba<dot>bc<dot>ca to see about ways of working with the DNV on this project.

Last edited by Rooter; 03-17-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Rooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Bryce
Registered Abuser

Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW.
^^^ hmmmm... hopefully its more focused on cutting out deadfall and not so focused on turning singletrack into 2 metre wide gravel doubletrack
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
LeeLau
Trail Plug

LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW. LeeLau has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
^^^ hmmmm... hopefully its more focused on cutting out deadfall and not so focused on turning singletrack into 2 metre wide gravel doubletrack
Doubt it. Too bad really as it was fun trail. Witholding judgment is tough but it's the District
LeeLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
Sharon

Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW.
Considering how wet most of that area is gravel is probably the best way to go.

Plus, I kinda like the cornering practice I can get going down the BP now!

With my ti-bike all cross biked out I can ride it there now on the way back from riding the paved seymour valley trail!

Plus if its the DNV graveling the trails then we don't really have a way to prevent it.

Last edited by Sharon; 03-18-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: