Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 06:00 AM   #1
craw

craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW.
IPhone Clinometer for Measuring Frame Angles

(content jacked from a MTBR thread. Read original thread here)

Do you know about this tool? I think the 29er board will appreciate this more than anyone else here.

It's a 99 cent app for the Iphone. It's a level and inclinometer but for us it's a head and seat angle measurement device.

How do those angles on those bikes compare? How does it change when you change travel on the fork, sag, tires, etc.

It's deadly accurate and can be calibrated for non-level surfaces.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
NSTP
employee of the month

NSTP has achieved FLOW. NSTP has achieved FLOW. NSTP has achieved FLOW. NSTP has achieved FLOW. NSTP has achieved FLOW. NSTP has achieved FLOW. NSTP has achieved FLOW. NSTP has achieved FLOW. NSTP has achieved FLOW. NSTP has achieved FLOW. NSTP has achieved FLOW.
some apps for the iphone amaze me. Appearantly there is a dyno app as well. That angles one would be cool, esspecially when changing forks, or if you adjust the stanchions on your dual corwn.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Dean W
Injuries SUCK!!

Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW.
I got a iTouch as a a gift the other day. Saw the Clinometer application last night.

I'll be using it the next time I am working on my bike.
Dean W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Bryan
bighitter who?

Bryan has achieved FLOW. Bryan has achieved FLOW. Bryan has achieved FLOW. Bryan has achieved FLOW. Bryan has achieved FLOW. Bryan has achieved FLOW. Bryan has achieved FLOW. Bryan has achieved FLOW. Bryan has achieved FLOW. Bryan has achieved FLOW. Bryan has achieved FLOW.
i've been using a digital level that i bought from canadian tire. not as slick but it gets the job done. they usually go on sale for 25 bucks and although that is 25x more expensive as the iphone app....the bonus is you don't need a iphone.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
DaveM
www.davemackie.ca

DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighitter View Post
i've been using a digital level that i bought from canadian tire. not as slick but it gets the job done. they usually go on sale for 25 bucks and although that is 25x more expensive as the iphone app....the bonus is you don't need a iphone.
I've got the same one as bighitter but I got to pay double what he did, just because when I saw his I had to have one...sale or not.
DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Dean W
Injuries SUCK!!

Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW. Dean W has achieved FLOW.
I am using the app right now and it is pretty damn slick.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
Keefer
Growler for 2 please

Keefer has achieved FLOW. Keefer has achieved FLOW. Keefer has achieved FLOW. Keefer has achieved FLOW. Keefer has achieved FLOW. Keefer has achieved FLOW. Keefer has achieved FLOW. Keefer has achieved FLOW. Keefer has achieved FLOW. Keefer has achieved FLOW. Keefer has achieved FLOW.
I don't know if I'd trust an iPhone to within a degree as far as inclination goes. I have a buddy with a guitar tuner on his iPhone, it just tunes it way flat compared to every other tuner I've compared it against. What a deal.

I'd love to see some repeat measurements on the same frame with iphone/laserlevel/someone else's iphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the flying moose
ya fuck you windows. fuck you too door.
Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
Sethimus
www.mtbfreeride.tv

Sethimus has achieved FLOW. Sethimus has achieved FLOW. Sethimus has achieved FLOW. Sethimus has achieved FLOW. Sethimus has achieved FLOW. Sethimus has achieved FLOW. Sethimus has achieved FLOW. Sethimus has achieved FLOW. Sethimus has achieved FLOW. Sethimus has achieved FLOW. Sethimus has achieved FLOW.
ehm what do you expect from a 99ct product?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Dean W
Injuries SUCK!!

The Clinometer is insanely accurate. Unlike a guitar tuner that is simply using the microphone, the sensors for angle are super accurate for the movement of the iTouch/iPhone.

While calibrating mine, I slipped a piece of paper under one side of my itouch and it saw a .2 degree change in the angle.

The clinometer on the iTouch/iPhone is really, really good and for 99 cents, you cannot go wrong.

BTW- it measures up to .1 of a degree. And can measure in minutes and rad and % and other values that I can't quite remember.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
Dean W
Injuries SUCK!!

On a somewhat related note, you can also get a G-Force meter application.

So fix your I-Touch to your bike and see what Gforce it takes to bottom out your bike.

OOOOOHH the technology nowadays.

http://appshopper.com/sports/g-force-2
Old 11-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #11
DaveM
www.davemackie.ca

DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude View Post
The Clinometer is insanely accurate. Unlike a guitar tuner that is simply using the microphone, the sensors for angle are super accurate for the movement of the iTouch/iPhone.

While calibrating mine, I slipped a piece of paper under one side of my itouch and it saw a .2 degree change in the angle.

The clinometer on the iTouch/iPhone is really, really good and for 99 cents, you cannot go wrong.

BTW- it measures up to .1 of a degree. And can measure in minutes and rad and % and other values that I can't quite remember.

so when are you getting something new to measure the head angle of?
DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
Dean W
Injuries SUCK!!

My guess is Christmas.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
nick
www.epiccyclist.com

nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW.
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #14
Knnn
0-casualty in 2.4 secs

Knnn has achieved FLOW. Knnn has achieved FLOW. Knnn has achieved FLOW. Knnn has achieved FLOW. Knnn has achieved FLOW. Knnn has achieved FLOW. Knnn has achieved FLOW. Knnn has achieved FLOW. Knnn has achieved FLOW. Knnn has achieved FLOW. Knnn has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude View Post
On a somewhat related note, you can also get a G-Force meter application.

So fix your I-Touch to your bike and see what Gforce it takes to bottom out your bike.

OOOOOHH the technology nowadays.

http://appshopper.com/sports/g-force-2
Does it log the readings?

Please can I request inclinometer and G-force plots for snakes and ladders, superimposed on one of your video's, now how cool would that be?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #15
Timmigrant

Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.
I have an iPhone and had the free application for measuring angles ... Free Level I think it was called. It works well, but is not as accurate as the Clinometer program since it has no calibration option. Since then dropped the 99c on the Clinometer program and stunned at how accurate and repeatable it is.

The G-Force meter works exceptionally well too. In fact the G-Force meter program has already almost claimed my car in an attempt to achieve larger cornering Gs. Very interesting idea mentioned in strapping it to the bike in an attempt to measure bottom out G force, I'm going to have to try that!

Also on a side note I recently used the GPS function on the iPhone (in conjunction with a Trail Guru application) and then using the 3G network uploaded my GPS data to the Trail Guru website. With the push of 3 buttons this was created:

http://www.trailguru.com/wiki/index.php/Track:2GHJ

My Super Interesting Website

-
Timmigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: