Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > The Shore > Whistler Forum

Whistler Forum Bike Park and trails in Whistler

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #1
yellowdogx
Proletarian greetings

yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.
SAFE bike friendly hotels in whistler

I was on the WB site and they have a little chart listing bike friendly hotels.

scroll down here:
http://www.whistlerbike.com/deals/index.htm

Now I have heard some horror stories about some thefts from "secure" bike storage at hotels in whistler. Usually we go up and stay a while and rent a condo, but the wife wants to go up for a girls ridding weekend and just spend a night or two so a hotel is the way to go.

Anyone have any reviews of the saftey offered by the "bike friendly" hotels listed on that page? (or any other whistler hotels)

Adara Hotel: ?

Best Western Listel Whistler Hotel: Employe only bike lock up, able to lock up bike inside cage.

Blackcomb Lodge: ?

Crystal lodge:?

Delta Whistler Village Suites:Rumored to have bike valet or bring bike into room....confirmation needed

Fairmont: Bike valet

Four Seasons: Bike valet

Glaciers Reach: No front desk and easy access to room means bikes in rooms.

Hilton:Bike Valet

Hoilday Inn Sunspree: Bikes OK in room

Legends: Any guest has access to bike area, Not supposed to bring bike into room although the fire escape works well for this!

Marketplace Lodge:Bikes in rooms reported as no problem here!

Mariot Residence Inn: Rumored to allow bikes into rooms, free breakfast buffet as well!

Mountainside Lodge:?

Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre:?

Pan Pacific Whistler Mountainside:?

Resort Quest Properties: No front desk at most properties means bikes could probably be brought/smuggled into rooms

Summit Lodge and Spa:?

Sundial Boutique Hotel:?

Tantalus Lodge: bikes stolen in past, any guest has access to bike area, no where to lock up bike - questionable safety

Townplaza: No front desk, bikes could probably be brought/smuggled into rooms

Westin Resort & Spa: Bike Valet, aparently with a history of no bikes being stolen...ever. (My wife stayed here the other weekend and the bike vallet was VERY convienient to use, they didn't charge her for the service, not sure what or if it usually costs)

Whistler Resort and Club:?

Whistler Village Inn and Suites: Bike room open to all guestes, however they do provide steel cable for your bike (you supply lock) Reports of theft from "secure" bike lock up.

Any info on any hotel would be cool....how about a little database on NSMB?
Thanks

Last edited by yellowdogx; 06-10-2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: updated hotel list etc
yellowdogx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2008, 06:01 AM   #2
bcbud

bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW.
Tantalus has had a bunch of bikes stolen so avoid that one, I'd head to the Westin just for it being next to the park, or one or two that ain't on the list but are pricey would be the Fairmont or the Four Seasons, both have insurance for this and the security is tight, just give your bike to the doorman and ask for it later, like your car.....
Old 05-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
MackM
not bad you?

MackM has achieved FLOW. MackM has achieved FLOW. MackM has achieved FLOW. MackM has achieved FLOW. MackM has achieved FLOW. MackM has achieved FLOW. MackM has achieved FLOW. MackM has achieved FLOW. MackM has achieved FLOW. MackM has achieved FLOW. MackM has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via MSN to MackM
Listel was really good, you have to get a employee to open the bike cage for you and you can lock the bikes to the bars on the surrounding fence.
Tantalus was shit you had to put your bikes in some storage shack by the pool and anybody with a keycard can get in, and there is nowhere to lock the bikes to so we just had to lock them to each other.
MackM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
yellowdogx
Proletarian greetings

yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW. yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbud View Post
Tantalus has had a bunch of bikes stolen so avoid that one, I'd head to the Westin just for it being next to the park, or one or two that ain't on the list but are pricey would be the Fairmont or the Four Seasons, both have insurance for this and the security is tight, just give your bike to the doorman and ask for it later, like your car.....
What is the bike storage situation at the westin?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
bcbud

bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW. bcbud has achieved FLOW.
I imagine its like other higher end hotels, give it to a valet and you get a ticket, just like your car.....
Old 05-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
freerider guy
Hack

freerider guy has achieved FLOW. freerider guy has achieved FLOW. freerider guy has achieved FLOW. freerider guy has achieved FLOW. freerider guy has achieved FLOW. freerider guy has achieved FLOW. freerider guy has achieved FLOW. freerider guy has achieved FLOW. freerider guy has achieved FLOW. freerider guy has achieved FLOW. freerider guy has achieved FLOW.
If I had to leave it somewhere over night and wanted to make sure it was safe I have usually just left it in the rental shop. It costs you a couple of bucks but I can leave it at the bottom of the hill (allowing you to not worry about it if you want a beer on a deck right after the day) and they want ID to when you come and pick it up. The only issue is that it will cost you about $2 so it isn't free.
freerider guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
Nelson
Unregistered User

Nelson has achieved FLOW. Nelson has achieved FLOW. Nelson has achieved FLOW. Nelson has achieved FLOW. Nelson has achieved FLOW. Nelson has achieved FLOW. Nelson has achieved FLOW. Nelson has achieved FLOW. Nelson has achieved FLOW. Nelson has achieved FLOW. Nelson has achieved FLOW.
Westin has secure Bike Valet at the front doors of the hotel. Sometimes they'll clean your bike before giving it back the next day. I went for 3 days a couple years ago and would highly recommend it. It's a little pricey though, but I guess you get what you pay for...
Old 05-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Roasted

Roasted is climbing past Pipeline Roasted is climbing past Pipeline Roasted is climbing past Pipeline Roasted is climbing past Pipeline Roasted is climbing past Pipeline Roasted is climbing past Pipeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdogx View Post
What is the bike storage situation at the westin?
They have chains/locks in a secure hallway with two cameras pointing covering the area. Its a high traffic area of staff since its by the boiler room and its where the luggage is stored. There hasn't been a bike stolen in 7 years ...and that was pre chains day.
Roasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
yellowdogx
Proletarian greetings

Thanks for the info guys.

Any more on any hotels/condos in the whistler area would be cool. Its hard to tell from what he hotels say about themselves if they do indeed have secure bike storage or it is just a room in the basement.

Hopefully this list will help me and others choose a hotel that offers secure convienient storage.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
Roasted

Roasted is climbing past Pipeline Roasted is climbing past Pipeline Roasted is climbing past Pipeline Roasted is climbing past Pipeline Roasted is climbing past Pipeline Roasted is climbing past Pipeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdogx View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

Any more on any hotels/condos in the whistler area would be cool. Its hard to tell from what he hotels say about themselves if they do indeed have secure bike storage or it is just a room in the basement.

Hopefully this list will help me and others choose a hotel that offers secure convienient storage.
Some of the cheaper hotels "ignore" when guests bring the bikes to rooms.

Some properties I have always been partial to
glacier reach - most have balconies and no official FD full time so you can get bikes up stairs. Good price and you sometimes get a hottub depending on the room
Townplaza - no full time fd
marriott - I believe you can bring bikes upstairs. Downfall, pretty far away but you do get a free shuttle and continental breakfast, oh and free inet too.

Check out any of Resort quest (poor service in general but that helps the mountain biker trying to hide his stuff) properties that don't have a full time front desk. They have 3 front desks for the 15 or so properties.
Roasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
Sharon

Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW. Sharon has achieved FLOW.
look for owner rented condos at;

alluradirect.com

If you have a condo with a garage that would be ideal, or a balcony or you can bring it into the hallway.

You can probably find a cheaper place too, with a kitchen so you don't have to spend so much money buying food.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
yellowdogx
Proletarian greetings

Yeah we usually stay at glaciers reach when we go up for any more than a few days. But since the wife is only going up for one or two I wanted some opinions on other shorter term (most condo rentals seem to have a minimum stay of three-four days)
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
funkendrenchman

funkendrenchman has achieved FLOW. funkendrenchman has achieved FLOW. funkendrenchman has achieved FLOW. funkendrenchman has achieved FLOW. funkendrenchman has achieved FLOW. funkendrenchman has achieved FLOW. funkendrenchman has achieved FLOW. funkendrenchman has achieved FLOW. funkendrenchman has achieved FLOW. funkendrenchman has achieved FLOW. funkendrenchman has achieved FLOW.
Any idea about the storage room at Marketplace? I'm staying there for awhile in August. I guess I could always back my truck against a wall in the garage.
funkendrenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #14
mtbsrule
bubble-beam

mtbsrule has achieved FLOW. mtbsrule has achieved FLOW. mtbsrule has achieved FLOW. mtbsrule has achieved FLOW. mtbsrule has achieved FLOW. mtbsrule has achieved FLOW. mtbsrule has achieved FLOW. mtbsrule has achieved FLOW. mtbsrule has achieved FLOW. mtbsrule has achieved FLOW. mtbsrule has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
Any idea about the storage room at Marketplace? I'm staying there for awhile in August. I guess I could always back my truck against a wall in the garage.
I stayed there last summer and i took my bike into my room no problem. I think they encourage you to do that there.
mtbsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:03 AM   #15
littlemountainmike

littlemountainmike has achieved FLOW. littlemountainmike has achieved FLOW. littlemountainmike has achieved FLOW. littlemountainmike has achieved FLOW. littlemountainmike has achieved FLOW. littlemountainmike has achieved FLOW. littlemountainmike has achieved FLOW. littlemountainmike has achieved FLOW. littlemountainmike has achieved FLOW. littlemountainmike has achieved FLOW. littlemountainmike has achieved FLOW.
We stay at Intrawest. It has a bike lockup and you bring your own lock. Its great. never heard anything bad about that one.
littlemountainmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: