Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #31
Bryce
Registered Abuser

Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strahan View Post
collective thoughts on running maxxis casings tubeless?

High Roller II
27.5X2.40

3C MAXX TERRA apparently means 70/50/42 durometer which sounds good.
I thought I read that Maxx Grippppp was 70/50/42 and Maxx Terrrra was 70/60/50.

Anyway, more options offers more options so its a good thing. I'm stoked on the ST EXO's.
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #32
boomforeal
cycling based lifeform

boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.boomforeal has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is correct.
soooo... i think you are a maxxis tester; when are these going to be available to joe public (in canada)?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #33
bogey

bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
soooo... i think you are a maxxis tester; when are these going to be available to joe public (in canada)?
Yes, I get the scoop on the odd Maxxis tire but have no idea when they'll be available to the public. Maxxis takes their time to make them right and they seem to be doing a hell of a job.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #34
bogey

bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
I thought I read that Maxx Grippppp was 70/50/42 and Maxx Terrrra was 70/60/50.

Anyway, more options offers more options so its a good thing. I'm stoked on the ST EXO's.
MaxxTerra = 70a base / 50a outer center / 42a outer shoulder
MaxxGrip = 70a base / 42a outer center / 40a outer shoulder
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #35
leggatt

leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey View Post
the TR version sets up easily with a floor pump on a UST rim. Rolling resistance is better than expected also.
The new TR tires from Maxxis are impressive for setting up. I rarely need more than a floor pump to get them on and usually no soap as well on Stans Rims with yellow tape. Very nice.
leggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #36
CoilAir
Recent 650b convert...

CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.
I've got a set of High Roller 2 EXO's I just set up tubeless on Friday. EXO single compound 2.4 version on Stan's Flow EX rims.

The rear tire blew off the rim just after being mounted. I aired it up to 35psi, shook/turned the wheel to distribute Stan's, set it down to mount the front and KABOOM! The front tire blew off on Pangor the next day just before Pangor rock...

Needless to say I'm less than impressed. I was running some tubeless ready, snakeskin Schwalbe tires before, and I had to wrestle them off the rim the beads were so locked on. Never had a problem with them. I'm hesitant to set the HR2s up tubeless again...
Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #37
leggatt

leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.leggatt has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoilAir View Post
I've got a set of High Roller 2 EXO's I just set up tubeless on Friday. EXO single compound 2.4 version on Stan's Flow EX rims.

The rear tire blew off the rim just after being mounted. I aired it up to 35psi, shook/turned the wheel to distribute Stan's, set it down to mount the front and KABOOM! The front tire blew off on Pangor the next day just before Pangor rock...

Needless to say I'm less than impressed. I was running some tubeless ready, snakeskin Schwalbe tires before, and I had to wrestle them off the rim the beads were so locked on. Never had a problem with them. I'm hesitant to set the HR2s up tubeless again...
If you blew it off the rim airing it up the bead is toast. I wouldn't have tried using tubeless at all and even a tube is risky as the bead has been damaged.
leggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #38
morgman
probably on bottletop

morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.
I tried using Minion 2.5 EXOs tubeless on Stans Flows and I had both tires blow right off the rim on the second ride.

Garrett was using the same tires on Sun Singletracks just fine.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #39
bogey

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgman View Post
I tried using Minion 2.5 EXOs tubeless on Stans Flows and I had both tires blow right off the rim on the second ride.

I can't stand Stan's rims for anything but the tightest of beads. Doesn't matter the brand of tire, they blow off way too often. UST is simply the best way to do it. That dinky little bead hook of Stan's rims doesn't hold some of the beefier beads well at all.

Too bad Mavic doesn't make a nice AM rim between their 819 and 823 rims. I'd be all over an 821 if they kept the weight reasonable (or a lighter 823).
Old 01-29-2013, 03:49 AM   #40
heckler
Skookum

heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
I've got 4 identical wheels and only had that problem with one of them. The problem was solved by fixing the leaking valve stem. If you loose air pressure, you loose tires.
heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #41
PUNKY
Ginger Hacks

PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone View Post
what tires are you thinking of?
I'm thinking of 2.3 HR2s for the surface. Either both 3cs or 3C front regular rear. Getting tired of waiting for the big S. plus ill be able to run an Ardent rear in the summer

A full squish I'd take a DHF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarklewis View Post
ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.
PUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:17 AM   #42
CoilAir
Recent 650b convert...

CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.CoilAir has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leggatt View Post
If you blew it off the rim airing it up the bead is toast. I wouldn't have tried using tubeless at all and even a tube is risky as the bead has been damaged.
The rear needed to be soaped up to seat right. I think I used too much though, that's why the tire blew off... I re-seated it and it held up on the ride, but the other (front) tire blew off...

Front tires are about the worst thing to have fail... Sketchy. I may go back to tubes... I have had a love hate relationship from tubeless from the start, but tubes haven't done anything wrong to me...
Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 AM   #43
CoilAir
Recent 650b convert...

Quote:

Super sketchy man, what did you end up doing after that wheel/tire wise...?
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: