Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #1
Jugger

Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.
Bike Rack and Car Wash - asking for trouble?

Just curious - am I asking for trouble if I run my car through a "touchless" car wash with my rack on?

I've got a couple of yakima cobras on a mazda factory rack. Rack Attack advised taking the Cobras off first, but I'm lazy and would rather not if I didn't have to.
Jugger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
morgman
probably on bottletop

morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.
And here I was hoping I could just take my bike through the car wash on top of the car...
Old 03-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
PUNKY
Ginger Hacks

PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.
Ive taken my NSR-4 thru the touchless wash a few times. Rattles the truck like a hot damn as the washing robot does its business with the rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarklewis View Post
ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.
PUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
apak
As hot as Buster B

apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugger View Post
Just curious - am I asking for trouble if I run my car through a "touchless" car wash with my rack on?

I've got a couple of yakima cobras on a mazda factory rack. Rack Attack advised taking the Cobras off first, but I'm lazy and would rather not if I didn't have to.
What dollar value would you put on the time it takes to them off?

Let's say the yakimas $200 altogether, and let's assume it takes 20 minutest to take off. If you earn more than $600 an hour, then it is probably worth the risk of not taking them off.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Jugger

Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.Jugger has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apak View Post
What dollar value would you put on the time it takes to them off?

Let's say the yakimas $200 altogether, and let's assume it takes 20 minutest to take off. If you earn more than $600 an hour, then it is probably worth the risk of not taking them off.
Hmmm... I guess what I'm supposed to infer from your post is that, in your opinion, touchless car washes damage bike racks. If that's the case, you could have kept it simple and just said so:/

But thanks for the input.
Jugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
morgman
probably on bottletop

morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.morgman has achieved FLOW.
I have a feeling they'll be just fine.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
tungsten

Location: Hastings Sunrise, where people bring machetes to house parties!
tungsten has achieved FLOW.tungsten has achieved FLOW.tungsten has achieved FLOW.tungsten has achieved FLOW.tungsten has achieved FLOW.tungsten has achieved FLOW.tungsten has achieved FLOW.tungsten has achieved FLOW.tungsten has achieved FLOW.tungsten has achieved FLOW.tungsten has achieved FLOW.
Post before and after pics.............
Old 03-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
bogey

bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.
Yes, it should be just fine.

Now if you had 33s and a lift kit on your Mazda then you should be worried! We'd all be worried.
bogey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
rideitall
Ride it all

rideitall has achieved FLOW.rideitall has achieved FLOW.rideitall has achieved FLOW.rideitall has achieved FLOW.rideitall has achieved FLOW.rideitall has achieved FLOW.rideitall has achieved FLOW.rideitall has achieved FLOW.rideitall has achieved FLOW.rideitall has achieved FLOW.rideitall has achieved FLOW.
The wash might not let you in. The one on Main in NVan said the sensors don't pick up the racks well and it can cause damage to either the rack or their wash system.

Too bad there are not many of the hand wand car washes left, at least not in Vancouver or near the hills NVan.
rideitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
Natban

Natban has achieved FLOW.Natban has achieved FLOW.Natban has achieved FLOW.Natban has achieved FLOW.Natban has achieved FLOW.Natban has achieved FLOW.Natban has achieved FLOW.Natban has achieved FLOW.Natban has achieved FLOW.Natban has achieved FLOW.Natban has achieved FLOW.
I've gone through with my Thule roof rack and bike racks on without a problem on my small sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
Too bad there are not many of the hand wand car washes left, at least not in Vancouver or near the hills NVan.
Out in the suburbs we actually get our own drive ways, we can do all kinds of crazy stuff like wash cars, etc...........ohhhhhhh and for under $800K too.
Natban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
apak
As hot as Buster B

apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.apak has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugger View Post
Hmmm... I guess what I'm supposed to infer from your post is that, in your opinion, touchless car washes damage bike racks. If that's the case, you could have kept it simple and just said so:/

But thanks for the input.
But being simple would make me sound less of a condescending jerk!

But how much work is it to take it down? To be safe why not check with Rack Attack why they recommend taking it off for the touchless. Maybe it is because the high water pressure will get in the metal joint somewhere, rust things, and compromise the strength of this parts eventually leading to some failure (hopefully with your bike not on there).
Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
Bryce
Registered Abuser

Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.Bryce has achieved FLOW.
just living in Van is like a car wash every day. I doubt it would damage the rack.

I was gonna suggest the Oasis but I see that they're not so good
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #13
Skip

Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.
I routinely go through with a hitch rack (Thule and before that NSR) and have only once had a problem - the wash stopped half way through soaping up the car so I had to be rescued by the attendant who wasn't best pleased, though he did let me use a regular hose to rinse with before I left. That was the Esso on Dollarton. I've been back since with the same set up and it worked. BUT, I ain't never tried a roof rack.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
apak
As hot as Buster B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
just living in Van is like a car wash every day. I doubt it would damage the rack.

I was gonna suggest the Oasis but I see that they're not so good
Well, water itself not being a problem, but the high pressure jet. Just speculating.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: