Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > The Shore > Whistler Forum

Whistler Forum Bike Park and trails in Whistler

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #16
Thingy
Apply liberally

Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline!
Mattus, the "not in the bike park" thread in the Whistler forum has some good advice on the valley trails. You'll want a more pedally bike, so not sure if that's your thing, but Westside, Southside and North trails are open from dawn til dusk; free, too. IMO Duncan's It's Business Time is probably the best all- mountain trail I've been on. Nothing wrong with the park, but there's more to Whistler than DH.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
Timv

Timv has achieved FLOW. Timv has achieved FLOW. Timv has achieved FLOW. Timv has achieved FLOW. Timv has achieved FLOW. Timv has achieved FLOW. Timv has achieved FLOW. Timv has achieved FLOW. Timv has achieved FLOW. Timv has achieved FLOW. Timv has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
If you've never ridden a bike park before, 10 hours is PLENTY of time. If you aren't completely burned out long before 10-15 runs, I gotta hand it to you ...
This. When you are getting more confident, your body will start getting lazy/sloppy. Recognize when you have reached this point, or you will take a trip to emerg.

Other than that, have a blast. It's fast and fun.
Timv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #18
kendaf

kendaf has achieved FLOW. kendaf has achieved FLOW. kendaf has achieved FLOW. kendaf has achieved FLOW. kendaf has achieved FLOW. kendaf has achieved FLOW. kendaf has achieved FLOW. kendaf has achieved FLOW. kendaf has achieved FLOW. kendaf has achieved FLOW. kendaf has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingy View Post
Mattus, the "not in the bike park" thread in the Whistler forum has some good advice on the valley trails. You'll want a more pedally bike, so not sure if that's your thing, but Westside, Southside and North trails are open from dawn til dusk; free, too. IMO Duncan's It's Business Time is probably the best all- mountain trail I've been on. Nothing wrong with the park, but there's more to Whistler than DH.
If you think the trails close at dusk, you should consider picking up some lights. Non-park trails rock 24/7 baby!
kendaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #19
Thingy
Apply liberally

Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline! Thingy has reached the snowline!
I'm afraid of hitting cougars in the dark...
Old 07-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #20
craw

craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingy View Post
I'm afraid of hitting cougars in the dark...
Hitting on cougars in the dark is a Whistler tradition!
Old 07-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #21
dmc

dmc has achieved FLOW. dmc has achieved FLOW. dmc has achieved FLOW. dmc has achieved FLOW. dmc has achieved FLOW. dmc has achieved FLOW. dmc has achieved FLOW. dmc has achieved FLOW. dmc has achieved FLOW. dmc has achieved FLOW. dmc has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarklewis View Post
the top 5 trails that bring people to see me in emergency:

crank it up
crank it up
crank it up
freight train
a line

Last night around 8:30pm, I just happened to catch an air ambulance taking off for the first time. I had a sobering moment, contemplating my own mortality while listening to the EMT call Whistler the "trauma park". Hope that guy is okay...
dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:04 AM   #22
B.O.B
b-in-t

B.O.B has achieved FLOW. B.O.B has achieved FLOW. B.O.B has achieved FLOW. B.O.B has achieved FLOW. B.O.B has achieved FLOW. B.O.B has achieved FLOW. B.O.B has achieved FLOW. B.O.B has achieved FLOW. B.O.B has achieved FLOW. B.O.B has achieved FLOW. B.O.B has achieved FLOW.
OP - been in the same boat.

Hire a guide at Guest Services at the bottom of the mountain.
As my pragmatic broinlaw said (who I drag to Whistler when i visit) and lives in Roberts Creek,SSC " hiring a guide/instuctor/coach is like buying med insurance".
They've seen it all.
They screen you pretty quick and get an idea as to where you belong. Then depending on the individual, push you to get better. Over the years I've hired West Coast teaching pros (let me count) six times.
Only went down once, clipped a tree, spun the bars and packed the breathing holes on my full face with dirt : )

edit : btw, the face full of packed dirt happened at Siver Star (got dirt).

Last edited by B.O.B; 07-20-2014 at 12:23 AM.
B.O.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:32 AM   #23
Duncan
My name is not nousefora

Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW. Duncan has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Last night around 8:30pm, I just happened to catch an air ambulance taking off for the first time. I had a sobering moment, contemplating my own mortality while listening to the EMT call Whistler the "trauma park". Hope that guy is okay...
dmc is offline Add to dmc's Reputation Report Post
If its any consolation, in 15 years of operation, there have only been 2 fatalities at the bike park. One was around 2001 (I believe a rider went down and was hit by another rider and died later in hospital of a punctured lung and internal injuries). The other was only this summer. It seems that both were under somewhat exceptional/unusual circumstances.

Last edited by Duncan; 07-21-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: