Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

View Poll Results: What's your take on helmet wearing?
I don't usually wear a helmet 3 4.41%
I wear an open face helmet 15 22.06%
I wear a full face helmet but only for AM/Downhill 11 16.18%
I wear a full face helmet but only for gnarly/extreme riding 33 48.53%
I wear a full face helmet 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #46
Bull_Dozer

Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoilAir View Post
YouTube Video

Video of the helmet having the chin bar added/removed. They mention there'll be a MIPS version as well.
As cool as this looks, I don't know how this is practically going to be used... for me personally I would totally use it if the chin part could be folded up and thrown into the pack on the ascent but that doesn't appear to be the case.

So how is it supposed to work - if you are riding XC/AM you leave the chin strap at home and if you are riding shuttle/lift access you just keep the chin strap on all day?
Bull_Dozer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #47
shirk

shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW.
Why can't you put the chin bar into the helmet holder on your pack?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #48
PUNKY
Ginger Hacks

PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirk View Post
Takes too much thought!

Also, likely gets in the way of their hip pack.

Plus, if at the top of your climb you stop to put on knee pads, and clip a jaw piece on, then what exactly is the purpose of a dropper post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarklewis View Post
ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.
PUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #49
xy9ine

xy9ine has achieved FLOW. xy9ine has achieved FLOW. xy9ine has achieved FLOW. xy9ine has achieved FLOW. xy9ine has achieved FLOW. xy9ine has achieved FLOW. xy9ine has achieved FLOW. xy9ine has achieved FLOW. xy9ine has achieved FLOW. xy9ine has achieved FLOW. xy9ine has achieved FLOW.
makes good sense for racing. some of the courses / speeds are at a point where even if a ff isn't mandated, the bit of extra protection probably wouldn't hurt. i'm curious what most of the ews pros are doing these days - in the past i've seen some people carrying a second lid; doesn't look like many are wearing packs now. are they just sucking it up & wearing the ff lids for the liaisons?

whistler ews will be the first race i've done w/ a ff regulation; not looking forward to climbing in the dh lid (in what is most likely to be scorching heat). not too keen on riding with an xc lid on the pack either...
xy9ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #50
Bull_Dozer

Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW. Bull_Dozer has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirk View Post
True - guess I didn't think of that because I don't have that style of pack...
Bull_Dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:35 PM   #51
FlipFantasia
sure, whatever

FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW. FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xy9ine View Post
makes good sense for racing. some of the courses / speeds are at a point where even if a ff isn't mandated, the bit of extra protection probably wouldn't hurt. i'm curious what most of the ews pros are doing these days - in the past i've seen some people carrying a second lid; doesn't look like many are wearing packs now. are they just sucking it up & wearing the ff lids for the liaisons?

whistler ews will be the first race i've done w/ a ff regulation; not looking forward to climbing in the dh lid (in what is most likely to be scorching heat). not too keen on riding with an xc lid on the pack either...
I did the two helmet option last year during the EWS, it wasn't too bad, mostly because aside from water and some tools/tube the pack isn't jammed with stuff so there's room for the xc lid on the descents....
FlipFantasia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:06 PM   #52
shirk

shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW.
Also did the two helmet option for EWS last year. Wasn't a problem.

For the last Sea to Sky Enduro in the bike park we had ff mandatory. I only brought the ff as the half shell wasn't being enforced on the liaisons.

If the climbing this year for EWS is minimal and not a scorcher I could get away with a single lid. Key is to just walk the steep grind sections to get a break on the climb to cool off. If the climbing is like last year I'll just bring the xc lid.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:04 AM   #53
PUNKY
Ginger Hacks

PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW.
http://reviews.mtbr.com/spotted-new-...vable-chin-bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarklewis View Post
ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.
PUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: