Old 08-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
BJC

BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW.
Gear ratios

Hi all,

WHat ratios are you running on your road bikes? I brought over my bike from Oz and struggle with the climbs (26th way too steep, low cadence up Cypress). I run non-compact chainrings at the moment. Gear down or harden up?

Cheers Ben
BJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
sanrensho

sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW.
Unless you're a racer, run a compact crank or a wider range cassette w/non-compact crank.

I ride Seymour frequently and run a compact with 26T or 27T cassette, which gives me one or two bailout gears.
"The song of a bird...We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds..."-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk
sanrensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
PaulB

PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW.
Possible thread hi-jack, but may be useful to the OP.

I've got 52 & 39 chain rings with a 7-speed 11/28 cassette. I rarely use the 52 riding around North Van, but can get up Seymour and Cypress without too much grinding. Sadly, I don't see myself getting a new bike with 9 or 10 speeds anytime soon, so I've often wondered if I'd be better off switching to a compact setup to get a bit more range out of my 7-speeds. I'd harden up, but that hasn't been working out since I had kids.

Thoughts / suggestions on converting to a compact?
PaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
bmor
Hello my name is

bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW.
I'm running a 50/34 compact chainring and an 11/25 10 speed cassette. I too struggle on steeper North Shore hills so I am about to try out an 11/28 cassette. Hopefully the transitions on the gearing won't feel to clunky.
bmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
Tonestar

Tonestar has achieved FLOW. Tonestar has achieved FLOW. Tonestar has achieved FLOW. Tonestar has achieved FLOW. Tonestar has achieved FLOW. Tonestar has achieved FLOW. Tonestar has achieved FLOW. Tonestar has achieved FLOW. Tonestar has achieved FLOW. Tonestar has achieved FLOW. Tonestar has achieved FLOW.
Just get yourself an 11-28 cassette, cheaper than buying a new crankset and it gets me up pretty much everything on the Shore except the steepest stuff in the BP's (Highland Dr). I am a full on weekend warrior, ride my road bike maybe once a week on average.

You will "harden up" quite quickly if you start doing those climbs with the bigger cassette.

PS. I used to do them all with an 11-25, doable, but too much suffering for me.
Tonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
old_school_n00b
Mighty Riders

old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW.
Short cage derailleurs will swallow a 30t big cog if the chain length is set up right, but yeah, out of the box, every single manufacturer tends to overspec bar width and gearing.
old_school_n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #7
sanrensho

sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW. sanrensho has achieved FLOW.
How many speeds do you need?
"The song of a bird...We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds..."-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk
sanrensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
PaulB

PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW. PaulB has achieved FLOW.
With my current gearing, I typically only use six, all on the 39. I'll have to spend some time with one of the online gear calculators to figure out how a compact setup would compare. Having a front shift in the middle of a nice gearing would be a PITA.

Last edited by PaulB; 08-14-2012 at 01:38 AM.
PaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
BJC

BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW. BJC has achieved FLOW.
I did some cog counting last night - I am running a 39/25 low gear. I think I'll get a 12-30 or 11-30 and try that with my current cranks.

Cheers Ben
BJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
icebreaker

icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW.
I have finally settled on what appears to me as pretty much the perfect all around set up

50/36. Up front
12-27 in the back.

I love this set up.
icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
icebreaker

icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW. icebreaker has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
With my current gearing, I typically only use six, all on the 39. I'll have to spend some time with one of the online gear calculators to figure out how a compact setup would compare. Having a front shift in the middle of a nice gearing would be a PITA.
I guess you are on Shimano? If you don't want to change the crank, then put on an XT rear dérailleur and you can go to 30 or 32 tooth cogs.
icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
mountaintime

mountaintime is a n00b; standing by
I just added a compact on to the road bike this season, goes nicely with the 12/27 cassette. What a relief!
mountaintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #13
bmor
Hello my name is

bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW.
I installed my new Shimano 105 11/28 Cassette, I farkin love it, steep hills feel like back in the day now, shifting is flawless from an 11/25, no RD adjustments required. ftw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonestar View Post
Just get yourself an 11-28 cassette, cheaper than buying a new crankset and it gets me up pretty much everything on the Shore except the steepest stuff in the BP's (Highland Dr). I am a full on weekend warrior, ride my road bike maybe once a week on average.

You will "harden up" quite quickly if you start doing those climbs with the bigger cassette.

PS. I used to do them all with an 11-25, doable, but too much suffering for me.
bmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #14
morgman
probably on bottletop

morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW.
My road bike has a 12-27 on 34/50 and my DH bike has a 11-23 on 38. Something is wrong there. I think I'm gonna swap the cassettes, even though I like the easy climbing gear on the road bike. I'm not a huge fan of the 16 tooth jump up front but the 34 bailout is nice...
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: