Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Trail News/Maintenance

Trail News/Maintenance Trail building info, issues, and discussions

Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
Skip

Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.Skip has achieved FLOW.
Trail Day on Empress/Empress Bypass Sunday May 6th

Trail Day on Empress/Empress Bypass this Sunday

Empress and Empress Bypass will be closed this Sunday May 6th for a trail day. Please plan your route to avoid these trails. Riders will be re-routed via Bridle Path and Old Buck.

After the great success last year on Bottle Top and Ridge Runner, NSRIDE is excited to be part of the NSMBA Trail Adoption Plan (TAP) once again in 2012. NSRIDE and Different Bikes will be working together on Empress Bypass and Empress. We are fully subscribed for this trail day but if you'd like to help at the next one please contact us at info@nsride.com

NSRIDE
100% volunteer run, not for profit.

www.nsride.com

Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
puntorpass

puntorpass has achieved FLOW.puntorpass has achieved FLOW.puntorpass has achieved FLOW.puntorpass has achieved FLOW.puntorpass has achieved FLOW.puntorpass has achieved FLOW.puntorpass has achieved FLOW.puntorpass has achieved FLOW.puntorpass has achieved FLOW.puntorpass has achieved FLOW.puntorpass has achieved FLOW.
don't wreck it!
puntorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
yellowdogx
Proletarian greetings

yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.yellowdogx has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puntorpass View Post
don't wreck it!
Get off your ass and pick up a shovel!
yellowdogx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Brian316

Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puntorpass View Post
don't wreck it!
By "it" I assume you mean Empress and not the bypass. Both trails will be worked on with the most focus being on the bypass. We're planning to duplicate the 6 trail days we did last year so feel free to join us.
Brian316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Shaloamer

Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.
Wtf the Epress trail .......the trail not the bypass.....is armored top to bottom. The trail is perfect. I'm choked.
Shaloamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
LostBoyScout
Hello.

LostBoyScout has achieved FLOW.LostBoyScout has achieved FLOW.LostBoyScout has achieved FLOW.LostBoyScout has achieved FLOW.LostBoyScout has achieved FLOW.LostBoyScout has achieved FLOW.LostBoyScout has achieved FLOW.LostBoyScout has achieved FLOW.LostBoyScout has achieved FLOW.LostBoyScout has achieved FLOW.LostBoyScout has achieved FLOW.
Even on fully armored trails you need to replace the dirt that holds all the rocks in place occasionally so they stay put. It's not maintenance free
LostBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Woodro

Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaloamer View Post
Wtf the Epress trail .......the trail not the bypass.....is armored top to bottom. The trail is perfect. I'm choked.
Choked? That people are doing work on trails?
Perfect?
Woodro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
heckler
Skookum

heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.
reroute?

sure hope not. no more flow needed on Empress, but I do know there's sections that need work once in a while.
heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
Brian316

Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.Brian316 has achieved FLOW.
The plan our trail builder has for Empress is no more than a bit of cleanup which may only take a day to complete. It might have better to ask what the plan was for Empress and not jumping to conclusions that it will be wrecked. The main focus will be the Bypass, as stated previously, which needs a lot of work.

We have had a lot of positive feedback on the work we did to Bottle Top and Ridge Runner (very little done to this one) and don't plan on making these trails any less fun. We are mountain bikers, not some government body, and ride these trails too.
Brian316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:32 AM   #10
Shaloamer

Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.Shaloamer has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodro View Post
Choked? That people are doing work on trails?
Perfect?
Empres is perfect........if it ain't broke......don't fix it.....I do tonnes of trail work. I don't advertise...Great that peeps put back into the sport.Empress is rock armored top to bottom so let's put some dirt on top of it.........Brilliant! Quote from puntorpass ' don't wreck it!"
Old 05-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #11
biggles604

biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Empres is perfect........if it ain't broke......don't fix it.....I do tonnes of trail work. I don't advertise...Great that peeps put back into the sport.Empress is rock armored top to bottom so let's put some dirt on top of it.........Brilliant! Quote from puntorpass ' don't wreck it!"
So you think the awkward blown out rocky filled corners are awesome as they are? A few buckets of dirt to return it back to it's former glory are a good thing. Don't equate hard because of erosion with awkward.
biggles604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
Woodro

Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.Woodro has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
You assume too much.
The only thing you have to fear is fear itself.
Woodro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Shaloamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodro View Post
You assume too much.
The only thing you have to fear is fear itself.
A few buckets of dirt should bring it back to its former glory......OK. dirt does not hold rocks in place. Interlocking rocks and I mean large rocks do not move. This is the beauty of the Shore. Solid rock armoring. I have three vids of empress all less than a month old. No loose rocks not one...........Empress is a right of passage, it humbles you. ,on a,perfect day a very talented rider can clean this trail with no dabs.traffic is light on Empress do to its difficulty. Can we have one trail on seymore that isn't dumbed down for the masses?Yes I fear for the legend of the North Shore slipping into obscurity.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
biggles604

biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.biggles604 has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
A few buckets of dirt should bring it back to its former glory......OK. dirt does not hold rocks in place. Interlocking rocks and I mean large rocks do not move. This is the beauty of the Shore. Solid rock armoring. I have three vids of empress all less than a month old. No loose rocks not one...........Empress is a right of passage, it humbles you. ,on a,perfect day a very talented rider can clean this trail with no dabs.traffic is light on Empress do to its difficulty. Can we have one trail on seymore that isn't dumbed down for the masses?Yes I fear for the legend of the North Shore slipping into obscurity.
This whole idea of 'dumbed down for the masses' is a fallacy. The trails have become eroded because they are unsustainable simply because when they were new, no thought was given to sustainability or maintenance. Some people like riding this nasty blown out crap, most do not. You can make a trail hard without it being awkward and dangerous, which Empress was bordering on.
biggles604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
heckler
Skookum

heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.heckler has achieved FLOW.
hmmm... maybe one could read the plan before jumping to conclusions.

then I think it should be rerouted completely as an easy to roll down switchbacky 6 foot wide hiking trail. no, wait, that's already been done.

http://nsmba.ca/documents/2012%20Ass...%20By-Pass.pdf
heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: