Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
sprinter
I Like Pie

sprinter has achieved FLOW. sprinter has achieved FLOW. sprinter has achieved FLOW. sprinter has achieved FLOW. sprinter has achieved FLOW. sprinter has achieved FLOW. sprinter has achieved FLOW. sprinter has achieved FLOW. sprinter has achieved FLOW. sprinter has achieved FLOW. sprinter has achieved FLOW.
Laptop

For those of you that have a laptop at work how do you deal with it? Do you cart it back and forth with you each day? Most likely moving to a position where I will have a laptop. Look at all my options for dealing with it.

To clarify the question I'm looking for options for carting it back and forth from the office on my bike.

Last edited by sprinter; 04-24-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: I like pie
sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Zedbra
Beer Shop Steward

Zedbra has achieved FLOW. Zedbra has achieved FLOW. Zedbra has achieved FLOW. Zedbra has achieved FLOW. Zedbra has achieved FLOW. Zedbra has achieved FLOW. Zedbra has achieved FLOW. Zedbra has achieved FLOW. Zedbra has achieved FLOW. Zedbra has achieved FLOW. Zedbra has achieved FLOW.
I haul my laptop back and forth every day. I don't have to come to the office to get my work done, so having it with me allows me to roam as I see fit. Plus, there are times when the highway has shut down or I had to leave town that night where having everything with me was a huge plus.

Even today I will have to leave and go to Kamloops, do a Conference call from my car tomorrow at noon from my laptop, then travel back. You never know.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
gotham
Dropping to flat.

gotham has achieved FLOW. gotham has achieved FLOW. gotham has achieved FLOW. gotham has achieved FLOW. gotham has achieved FLOW. gotham has achieved FLOW. gotham has achieved FLOW. gotham has achieved FLOW. gotham has achieved FLOW. gotham has achieved FLOW. gotham has achieved FLOW.
My laptop sits unused @ my desk. I use Citrix on my ipad to access any company programs like Outlook or MS Word.
gotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
shirk

shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW. shirk has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
For those of you that have a laptop at work how do you deal with it? Do you cart it back and forth with you each day? Most likely moving to a position where I will have a laptop. Look at all my options for dealing with it.
I assume you are asking about riding with your laptop. NBD to drive around with it.

I have a short bike commute from above the hwy down to 1st and Lonsdale area. I just toss my laptop in my backpack, it goes back and forth with me everyday. When it rains I have a raincover in my pack. Pack I use is a Dueter Transalpine 25, the water bladder sleeve works perfect to hold the laptop. Only thing the pack is missing is a padded bottom to protect the laptop when I set down the bag.

Some people don't like the weight on their back and carry the laptop in a pannier. My ride is too short to fuss with that.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
clarkee

clarkee has achieved FLOW. clarkee has achieved FLOW. clarkee has achieved FLOW. clarkee has achieved FLOW. clarkee has achieved FLOW. clarkee has achieved FLOW. clarkee has achieved FLOW. clarkee has achieved FLOW. clarkee has achieved FLOW. clarkee has achieved FLOW. clarkee has achieved FLOW.
I have and Ortlieb Office Bag that fits on my rack and I put the laptop inside a reasonable quality sleeve.
The bag is awesome the only truly waterproof thing I own and I have not experienced any laptop reliability problems despite an assertive riding style on road and the pacific spirit trails.
The laptop is a little scratched around the edges after three years of this.
clarkee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
in_a_bath
The Scotsman

in_a_bath has achieved FLOW. in_a_bath has achieved FLOW. in_a_bath has achieved FLOW. in_a_bath has achieved FLOW. in_a_bath has achieved FLOW. in_a_bath has achieved FLOW. in_a_bath has achieved FLOW. in_a_bath has achieved FLOW. in_a_bath has achieved FLOW. in_a_bath has achieved FLOW. in_a_bath has achieved FLOW.
I used to work as a consultant and run my laptop in and out of the office often. Bought a neoprene sleeve from MEC for around $10 to keep it safe and just slipped it into my regular back pack. Have a rain cover for the wet days. Never had any reliability issues or signs of wear. Even bailed a couple of times and no problems.

I tended to leave it at the office when I could because of the weight increase/additional space. It did get a bit irritating after a while lugging so much stuff in and out (I also pack my lunch and my clothes) but I solved that by leaving stuff at the office when I could (shoes, computer).
in_a_bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: