Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 04-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
craw

craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW. craw has achieved FLOW.
Is it time for a POV camera helmet attachment standard?

Struggling to get my Drift HD to mount nicely on my helmets got me thinking that it would be pretty slick if there was a standardized set of mount points for helmet cameras.

You could easily do it with two small metric threaded holes: a set on top, and on each side.

If GoPro, Drift and Contour got together with Giro, Bell and POC I bet they could do this.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
tim_liong

tim_liong has achieved FLOW. tim_liong has achieved FLOW. tim_liong has achieved FLOW. tim_liong has achieved FLOW. tim_liong has achieved FLOW. tim_liong has achieved FLOW. tim_liong has achieved FLOW. tim_liong has achieved FLOW. tim_liong has achieved FLOW. tim_liong has achieved FLOW. tim_liong has achieved FLOW.
I've long considered the little sticky pad to be the standard...

Threaded holes would limit the number of places you could hang your camera. Also, helmet manufacturers would then have to certify their gear as safe with any number of objects bolted onto them. I can see a few makers trying this, but I don't think it will catch on..
tim_liong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
CraigH
Tear it all out!

CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW.
I think the standard already exists, it is the threaded mount common on many types of camera tripods.

GoPro sells an adapter to mount their camera to the tripod mount.

A friend of mine used this tripod adapter to make up a pole mount for his GoPro.

The pole mount below isn't his, but the same idea. He just bought some PVC pipe, some plastic pipe fittings and a screw that matched the adapter.

CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Rat
I like the way you roll

Rat has achieved FLOW. Rat has achieved FLOW. Rat has achieved FLOW. Rat has achieved FLOW. Rat has achieved FLOW. Rat has achieved FLOW. Rat has achieved FLOW. Rat has achieved FLOW. Rat has achieved FLOW. Rat has achieved FLOW. Rat has achieved FLOW.
Ram mounts make every type of mount possible and have a ball with the screw like craig posted

http://www.ram-mount.com/
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Bryce
Registered Abuser

Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW.
you can use the center threaded visor mount on teh Giro to bolt on a GoPro. Probably the side ones too. With some creativity and a drill I'm sure you could rig up something for other brands. Easy and very secure.

If you do it this way, leave the foam or whatever on the back of the mount so that you don't need much torque on the bolt to keep the cam snug. The inserts on the helmet can't take much torque.

*edit* kinda like this, with a hole drilled in the mount and a bolt going into the helmet.

Last edited by Bryce; 04-23-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
CraigH
Tear it all out!

CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
you can use the center threaded visor mount on teh Giro to bolt on a GoPro. Probably the side ones too. With some creativity and a drill I'm sure you could rig up something for other brands. Easy and very secure.

If you do it this way, leave the foam or whatever on the back of the mount so that you don't need much torque on the bolt to keep the cam snug. The inserts on the helmet can't take much torque.

*edit* kinda like this, with a hole drilled in the mount and a bolt going into the helmet.
Thanks, that is a good idea for full face helmets.
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
PUNKY
Ginger Hacks

PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW. PUNKY has achieved FLOW.
I'm more concerned about the lack of breakaway mounts for these helmet cams.

Would be interested to know how many teletubbies suffer head/neck injuries from a cam interfering with the helmets ability to protect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarklewis View Post
ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.
PUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: