Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > The Shore > Whistler Forum

Whistler Forum Bike Park and trails in Whistler

Old 03-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
NelsonRyder

NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.
Early Bird 2012 Pass?

Does anyone know when the 2012 early bird passes are going to be available? I checked the Whistler site and it is still showing 2011 info.

Also, any ideas on pricing compared to last year?

Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
gotham
Dropping to flat.

gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.
You're probably better off at this point buying the $69 Spring Ski pass.

When I asked guest relations yesterday she said that last year they went on sale April 15th.
gotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
NelsonRyder

NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.NelsonRyder has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
You're probably better off at this point buying the $69 Spring Ski pass.

When I asked guest relations yesterday she said that last year they went on sale April 15th.
Spring Ski pass for the bike park?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #4
JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy has achieved FLOW.JonnyBoy has achieved FLOW.JonnyBoy has achieved FLOW.JonnyBoy has achieved FLOW.JonnyBoy has achieved FLOW.JonnyBoy has achieved FLOW.JonnyBoy has achieved FLOW.JonnyBoy has achieved FLOW.JonnyBoy has achieved FLOW.JonnyBoy has achieved FLOW.JonnyBoy has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Spring Ski pass for the bike park
I think he's referring to the 13ft of snow we've had in march!

No pricing or release date available yet.. but expect it to be similar to last year dates wise.
JonnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
PUNKY
Ginger Hacks

PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.PUNKY has achieved FLOW.
Should be a good ole fashion shovel fest if they plan to get those trails open for May Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarklewis View Post
ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.
PUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
TrailNinja
living the dream.

TrailNinja has achieved FLOW.TrailNinja has achieved FLOW.TrailNinja has achieved FLOW.TrailNinja has achieved FLOW.TrailNinja has achieved FLOW.TrailNinja has achieved FLOW.TrailNinja has achieved FLOW.TrailNinja has achieved FLOW.TrailNinja has achieved FLOW.TrailNinja has achieved FLOW.TrailNinja has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonRyder View Post
Does anyone know when the 2012 early bird passes are going to be available? I checked the Whistler site and it is still showing 2011 info.

Also, any ideas on pricing compared to last year?
Take last years price, add $15
Old 04-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
craw

craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.
Does anyone remember when they opened Garbanzo last year?

Is it reasonable to think that the huge amount of snow will delay the Garbanzo opening so much as to make a full pass not worthwhile?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
FlipFantasia
sure, whatever

FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.FlipFantasia has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craw View Post

Is it reasonable to think that the huge amount of snow will delay the Garbanzo opening so much as to make a full pass not worthwhile?
depends how hot it gets, and how early
FlipFantasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
hypa
Erhmagerhd!

hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
late, late, late.

My memory says it opened around July, just in time for crankworx and my b'day.

Quote:
If you can partake in over 10 days of riding, it's worth it. I found that there were mornings I went up for 3 runs, then to the lake. Or nights where I would finish dinner, then head up for a couple last runs. When you have the pass, you don't need to worry about how many laps you get to justify the cost of a day pass, you just ride.

I've been subscribing to this theory for the last 4 years, and it's worked well. Last season I didn't buy a pass due to an early injury, and regretted it everytime I shelled out for a day pass. Or worse yet, decided not to ride because of cheapness.
hypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
Stone Cold
person of interest

Stone Cold has achieved FLOW.Stone Cold has achieved FLOW.Stone Cold has achieved FLOW.Stone Cold has achieved FLOW.Stone Cold has achieved FLOW.Stone Cold has achieved FLOW.Stone Cold has achieved FLOW.Stone Cold has achieved FLOW.Stone Cold has achieved FLOW.Stone Cold has achieved FLOW.Stone Cold has achieved FLOW.
2nd hypa's post.

With the pass I go for as many runs as I feel that day and don't feel guilty for not getting those extra runs to make it "worth-while", it is always worth while. I'd go at random times too, decision to go is much easier with a pass.

Can't wait for opening! Garbo was late, but totally worth it. They kept trails in such good shape up there and the temp is always a little lower up there. Like hypa said, as long as you make it more than 10 times, get one.
Stone Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #11
gotham
Dropping to flat.

gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.gotham has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypa View Post
late, late, late.

My memory says it opened around July, just in time for crankworx and my b'day.
With Crankworx being in August this year, I wonder how much of a hurry they'll be in to open it up.
gotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
craw

craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.craw has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypa View Post
If you can partake in over 10 days of riding, it's worth it. I found that there were mornings I went up for 3 runs, then to the lake. Or nights where I would finish dinner, then head up for a couple last runs. When you have the pass, you don't need to worry about how many laps you get to justify the cost of a day pass, you just ride.

I've been subscribing to this theory for the last 4 years, and it's worked well. Last season I didn't buy a pass due to an early injury, and regretted it everytime I shelled out for a day pass. Or worse yet, decided not to ride because of cheapness.
This is exactly right. Last year I cheaped out and went with the Triple Play Card which effectively forced me to ride out the end of every day up there. What I really wanted to do was hit the park for a few pyjama-suit-free hours in the morning then switch to my small bike and go for a ride elsewhere. You just can't do that when you're constantly trying to make it all worth it. The extra $ cost of the full pass pays for that flexibility. I was all but sold on the full pass for 2012 until I started thinking about the crazy snowline!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
hypa
Erhmagerhd!

hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.hypa has achieved FLOW.
Woot, just got this email from Whistler.

Quote:
Under 6 weeks to go until opening day! (May 1 A quick survey on the Fitz elevation bike trails has shown a moderate amount of snow, but all of the bridges remain intact, which means quicker opening when we start digging. The machines are ordered and the staff are pumped to get digging, so the minute the lights go out on the TELUS World Ski and Snowboard Festival we will be on it. See you in a few weeks!

Season Passes and Triple Play cards go on sale from April 16.
Keep an eye on your inbox and the Bike Park facebook page for more details on that and our new Triple Play Load Day offer, and NEW Twilight Triple Play Pass!

Say it with me,

5 more days.

5 more days.

5 more days.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
hypa
Erhmagerhd!

Quote:
You just can't do that when you're constantly trying to make it all worth it.
You got it man!
If I have a triple play, I'm going to the top and getting every last turn in. But when I have my seasons, I'll try new trails. I would have never given Clownshoes a chance without a seasons. Now I love that trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
With Crankworx being in August this year, I wonder how much of a hurry they'll be in to open it up.
Good call, I forgot about the change in date.
I'm hoping this means that it won't be raining for half of the event like it did in 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
Can't wait for opening! Garbo was late, but totally worth it. They kept trails in such good shape up there and the temp is always a little lower up there. Like hypa said, as long as you make it more than 10 times, get one.
Werd.
There is some gold to be found in Garbo if you're willing to take chances on where to go. I think I've only once been in a situation where I was out of my element and actually scared, and that was the extremely high and narrow ladder bridges, and sheer slick rock walls on Captain Safety. I'll never hit that on a wet day again...
Old 04-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
Duncan
My name is not nousefora

Duncan has achieved FLOW.Duncan has achieved FLOW.Duncan has achieved FLOW.Duncan has achieved FLOW.Duncan has achieved FLOW.Duncan has achieved FLOW.Duncan has achieved FLOW.Duncan has achieved FLOW.Duncan has achieved FLOW.Duncan has achieved FLOW.Duncan has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
Can't wait for opening! Garbo was late, but totally worth it. They kept trails in such good shape up there and the temp is always a little lower up there.
The lower parts of Garbo were fine, but parts of the upper areas were shredded to shit because of all the runoff and too many riders on it before it fully dried out.
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: