Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 03-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #1
coolatt

coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW.
Norco Range. Linkage topout

I'm building up a Range frame and have come across something I find odd. I was unbolting the rear shock and found that the linkage is essentially topped out. The centre weld of the rocker arm basically touches the seat tube. I only noticed this when I went to bolt up the shock again and had to extend the suspension to the max to get the rocker holes to line up with the shock holes.

Can anyone else with a Range confirm this is normal? I don't want to go any further with my build until I know if this is normal or an issue. My fear is that when riding and the rear shock reaches full extension I am going to be smashing the rocker in to the seat tube. The rear shock appears to have the correct i2i, 8.5"

I attached some pictures to show what I mean. I put some black tape on the contact points to protect the frame.

Last edited by coolatt; 03-26-2012 at 05:26 AM.
coolatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Timmigrant

Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.
It's close, but the rocker doesn't contact the seat tube on my Range frame.

My Super Interesting Website

-
Timmigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
skifreak
Dodge City

skifreak has achieved FLOW. skifreak has achieved FLOW. skifreak has achieved FLOW. skifreak has achieved FLOW. skifreak has achieved FLOW. skifreak has achieved FLOW. skifreak has achieved FLOW. skifreak has achieved FLOW. skifreak has achieved FLOW. skifreak has achieved FLOW. skifreak has achieved FLOW.
Is the weld out of tolerance? I'm sure if it is Norco will take care of you.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
coolatt

coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW. coolatt has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skifreak View Post
Is the weld out of tolerance? I'm sure if it is Norco will take care of you.
I don't know, it does seem odd though. I wanted to see if this was normal or not before I brought it back to the shop.

Does anyone else's weld look that bulky?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
Kevin_m31
yes

Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW. Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW. Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW. Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW. Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW. Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW. Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW. Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW. Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW. Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW. Kevin_m31 has achieved FLOW.
*went to check*

looks about the same as mine, and I've had no issues
Kevin_m31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
zofmg

zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolatt View Post
Does anyone else's weld look that bulky?
Better to have a bulky weld than a little one.

You`re worrying to much but I see your reasons.

i've tried sticking it in her butt and peeing, she feels that is more a gift for me than her.
zofmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
clarklewis
done

clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW.
If it doesn't make contact with empty shock in place then I wouldn't worry
clarklewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #8
King of Fasia
I'm Ron Burgundy?

King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW.
Checked mine, like Tim said, it's close but as long as your shock is in place it won't touch.

Shed head!

King of Fasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:54 AM   #9
coolatt

[QUOTE=King of Fasia;2631450]Checked mine, like Tim said, it's close but as long as your shock is in place it won't touch.

That looks about the same, can't say 100% for sure in the pictures. Mine is so damn close though! I put two pcs of electrical tape in there to protect the metal on the rocker and seatpost, and now shock and rocker holes line up perfectly. So there is maybe .5mm of clearance there at the most without the tape?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
King of Fasia
I'm Ron Burgundy?

King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW. King of Fasia has achieved FLOW.
Tolerances are tight sometimes.

Shed head!

King of Fasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
Skooks

Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW.
Looks about the same as my 2011 Range 1
Skooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
coolatt

Taking my first ride on it saturday....we'll see how she rides
Old 05-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
coolatt

Just a follow up.

The bike rides pretty good. Better climbing traction and downhill stability than the FluidLT it replaced. No contact between the frame and rocker that I can see.

However I am a little disappointed in the quality of the rear suspension so far (on the way down). My old Fluid LT seemed to be a lot smoother in the rough stuff. The Range seems to bounce around a lot and landing drops doesn't feel as bottomless either.

My buddy rented a Slayer the other day and let me try it out. I quite liked it and it wasn't even set up for my weight. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

any suggestions for Range setup?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #14
Skooks

Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW. Skooks has achieved FLOW.
What shock are you running? I have the stock large-can boost-valve RP23 with psi set to approx my fully-dressed riding weight (175 lbs) for 25% sag. Tune on the shock is Velocity Tune Low Rebound Medium and Boost valve 225
Skooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
coolatt

I have the same shock. I believe it's the same tune as yours.
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: