Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
morgman
probably on bottletop

morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW.
Avid XO Trail 4-Piston Brakes

Avid's rolling out a new 4-pot Trail brake – a mix of Elixir modulation and Code power.

Check out the new stoppers here...

Old 03-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Surfas

Power

More powerful than Formula The One???
Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
FullMonty
I'm Surrey-ous.

FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW. FullMonty has achieved FLOW.
I find the lack of CPS hardware interesting... the shot of the black caliper seems to be mounted on a bike. is avid moving away from the spherical washers?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Oldfart

Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW. Oldfart has achieved FLOW.
I like that concept. I think the CPS hardware is a given for Avid though and the photos were just photos to show the product. One shot shows half the CPS washers in place.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
PinkRobe
hung over

PinkRobe has achieved FLOW. PinkRobe has achieved FLOW. PinkRobe has achieved FLOW. PinkRobe has achieved FLOW. PinkRobe has achieved FLOW. PinkRobe has achieved FLOW. PinkRobe has achieved FLOW. PinkRobe has achieved FLOW. PinkRobe has achieved FLOW. PinkRobe has achieved FLOW. PinkRobe has achieved FLOW.
The comments in the PB version of this article indicate that CPS is gone.
PinkRobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Heathen
A displaced Islander.

Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW. Heathen has achieved FLOW.
Why would they get rid of CPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the flying moose View Post
fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
kperras

kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
Why would they get rid of CPS?
They announced in some article somewhere (I forget which one) that CPS was introduced a few years back to deal with the wide variance in manufacturing tolerances on frames and forks. Nowadays, that has tightened up a fair bit, and there is no more need for CPS hardware. Saves weight and money on their end, and saves you the hassle.
kperras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #8

Dee

Very confused about the graph; what is a newton per meter? If we are measuring torque it would be newton-meters. Force is newtons.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
layton

Yeah i noticed the same thing about the N/m thing... but i have a possible explanation:

The brake cylinders apply a normal force on the rotor through the pad... this is translated into a friction force dependent the coefficient of friction between the rotor and the brake pad. Ultimately the braking force needs to act on the momentum (gravity forces on the bike) via angular momentum of the tire (torque applied to the tire via tread 'hook-up' with the ground -- friction force * radius of the tire). Well, the friction force of the brakes is applied to a rotor with a known radius and thus i think the the braking force shown in the graphs above is practically a 'braking torgue'.

But the x-axis is still messed up or mislabeled.... lever pull is force... plain and simple.

If the above explanation is correct as to what avid is doing in that graph then it may not necessarily be an apples to apples comparison unless the test was done with correct rotors and pads for each brake... i.e. using the same pads and rotors for each test has the possibility to skew results.

btw, I'm a geek... i know. At the end of the day... i think most good brakes out there can lock a tire up pretty easy with a hard enough squeeze... smooth modulation is king. With the right pads/rotors a lot of brakes out there have great modulation already.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Bryce
Registered Abuser

Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW.
Sounds like another good option. I wonder how the power would compare to a Code with a 20mm smaller rotor. With that setup, the Code would have a heavier caliper but a lighter rotor (quasi rotating mass).
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: