Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
Kever
steep and deep

Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW.
Resolved: Saint Brake Levers Leaking

So my 2010 Saint levers have started leaking mineral oil and I don't know why or where it's coming from. This is also happening with one of my friends saint brakes. I've recently put the "heavy mineral oil" laxative that you get in the drug store in my brakes, could this be causing the leakage? Any difference between that mineral oil and the pink shimano stuff? Any remedy for the lever leakage? The reservoir is topped up to the brim, and the brakes perform well (ie. consistent lever pull, good power). Also the brake fluid is pretty discoloured, I think it's time for a flush. Anyone know where to buy thin surgical tubing?

Last edited by Kever; 03-24-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Kever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
treorwg

treorwg has achieved FLOW. treorwg has achieved FLOW. treorwg has achieved FLOW. treorwg has achieved FLOW. treorwg has achieved FLOW. treorwg has achieved FLOW. treorwg has achieved FLOW. treorwg has achieved FLOW. treorwg has achieved FLOW. treorwg has achieved FLOW. treorwg has achieved FLOW.
Shimano's instructions say not to use drugstore mineral oil, but don't say why. It could be additives they use, or maybe a difference in the viscosity.

If you flush with the Shimano stuff, that might fix it. Let us know either way if you don't mind, I'm curious now.

As a bonus, the Shimano fluid comes with a piece of tubing.
treorwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Spinach

Spinach has achieved FLOW. Spinach has achieved FLOW. Spinach has achieved FLOW. Spinach has achieved FLOW. Spinach has achieved FLOW. Spinach has achieved FLOW. Spinach has achieved FLOW. Spinach has achieved FLOW. Spinach has achieved FLOW. Spinach has achieved FLOW. Spinach has achieved FLOW.
ha.
By the sound of it, you don't have a bleed kit...either way, I strongly recommend taking it to your bike shop of choice. You could be in need of some new seals, and it definitely sound's like you're in need of a proper bleed.....
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Kever
steep and deep

Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW. Kever has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treorwg View Post
Shimano's instructions say not to use drugstore mineral oil, but don't say why. It could be additives they use, or maybe a difference in the viscosity.

If you flush with the Shimano stuff, that might fix it. Let us know either way if you don't mind, I'm curious now.

As a bonus, the Shimano fluid comes with a piece of tubing.
Thanks for the info dude. I'll try bleeding it and posting up with results.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Kever
steep and deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
ha.
By the sound of it, you don't have a bleed kit...either way, I strongly recommend taking it to your bike shop of choice. You could be in need of some new seals, and it definitely sound's like you're in need of a proper bleed.....
I can bleed a brake just as well as a bike shop, and I won't have to spend $60. If I need new seals then it will probably be cheaper just to buy a new brake. But I won't buy a new brake because it will be much cheaper just to keep the reservoir topped off.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
C.Lee
Pepper Mint!

C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW. C.Lee has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kever View Post
I can bleed a brake just as well as a bike shop, and I won't have to spend $60. If I need new seals then it will probably be cheaper just to buy a new brake. But I won't buy a new brake because it will be much cheaper just to keep the reservoir topped off.
with those saints, you dont really need shimano bleed kit with aluminum clamp and such. Just a small mineral oil bottle to top off the reservoir and wrench to unscrew the bleed nipple and drain bottle.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
leggatt

leggatt has achieved FLOW. leggatt has achieved FLOW. leggatt has achieved FLOW. leggatt has achieved FLOW. leggatt has achieved FLOW. leggatt has achieved FLOW. leggatt has achieved FLOW. leggatt has achieved FLOW. leggatt has achieved FLOW. leggatt has achieved FLOW. leggatt has achieved FLOW.
If it is leaking from the reservoir cap, you can get a new gasket cheap enough. I doubt the seals are wrecked, but I would flush the system with the Shimano fluid. It is a much lighter weight and the brakes will perform way better with the correct mineral oil.
leggatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
Timmigrant

Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW. Timmigrant has achieved FLOW.
I know of some other guys that have had issues with the main piston seals degrading and mineral oil leaking out of the master cylinder on those Saints.

My Super Interesting Website

-
Timmigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
zofmg

zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW. zofmg has achieved FLOW.
I used the cheap mineral oil from the pharmacy as well because shimano's stuff is a money grab. Bled the brakes, worked well for months until the past couple days, I then looked at my pads and they were just about dead. No leakage though.

I think your issue is that you're flooding the system because as the pads wear the more leverage you loose on the leaver(that's what the adjustment knob is for), as you keep adding mineral oil to the system the more pressure is pushing the seals out to keep the pads closer to the rotor and risks damaging the seals.

^I know this because a friend of mine had the same issue with his formula one's and blew them up at whistler... Anyway, my guess is that you're having the same issue (except for the fact that he used formula branded brake fluid )

Check pad life, bleed it, constantly check for air bubbles (flicking the lines with your finger helps) close er up and you should be set.

Go to Canadian tire and visit the plumbing section and you should find one, pick up some brake cleaner, or alcohol, and spray down the calliper.

Cheers, good luck.

i've tried sticking it in her butt and peeing, she feels that is more a gift for me than her.
zofmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
Kever
steep and deep

Thanks for the tips, I'll post up how it goes.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
Kever
steep and deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofmg View Post
I used the cheap mineral oil from the pharmacy as well because shimano's stuff is a money grab. Bled the brakes, worked well for months until the past couple days, I then looked at my pads and they were just about dead. No leakage though.

I think your issue is that you're flooding the system because as the pads wear the more leverage you loose on the leaver(that's what the adjustment knob is for), as you keep adding mineral oil to the system the more pressure is pushing the seals out to keep the pads closer to the rotor and risks damaging the seals.

^I know this because a friend of mine had the same issue with his formula one's and blew them up at whistler... Anyway, my guess is that you're having the same issue (except for the fact that he used formula branded brake fluid )

Check pad life, bleed it, constantly check for air bubbles (flicking the lines with your finger helps) close er up and you should be set.

Go to Canadian tire and visit the plumbing section and you should find one, pick up some brake cleaner, or alcohol, and spray down the calliper.

Cheers, good luck.
I think I might have flooded the system. The pads wore down, I added fluid, then I spread the pistons and put new pads in without opening the reservoir. Doh. Hopefully no seal damage.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
Kever
steep and deep

So my levers were leaking from the reservoirs because there was too much fluid in them. Next time I will open the reservoir before changing pads. I tried bleeding with drug store mineral oil but it was too thick and the engagement point was different every squeeze. I rebled with shimano oil which is super thin (and super expensive) and the brakes work great. You could probably get away with drug store mineral oil if you can find one that's thin enough. That being said, I'm sure shimano uses a specific viscosity to maximize performance so you're probably better off going with that.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
heckler13

heckler13 has achieved FLOW. heckler13 has achieved FLOW. heckler13 has achieved FLOW. heckler13 has achieved FLOW. heckler13 has achieved FLOW. heckler13 has achieved FLOW. heckler13 has achieved FLOW. heckler13 has achieved FLOW. heckler13 has achieved FLOW. heckler13 has achieved FLOW. heckler13 has achieved FLOW.
I've been using magura mineral oil with my shimano brakes for a long time with no issues because its cheaper (at least here in the states).
heckler13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: