Old 03-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
bmor
Hello my name is

bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_school_n00b View Post
This might introduce a few more cross-compatibility issues if you decide to replace the cogset...

What brand of hub is it?
Suntour Vx

Quote:
Is it cassette or freewheel?
I don't know. I haven't removed it since it came into my posession last year.

Quote:
What's the tooth count on your largest cog?
the cassette is 13/32 if I counted correctly.

If this is turning into a clusterfok then I'll live with it the way it is. It's my commuter, I just can't do the steeps. I can choose other roads till I upgrade, which I plan to do anyways. Looking at the steel cross bikes with discs type of candy.
bmor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #17
old_school_n00b
Mighty Riders

old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW.
Good news: you've got a freewheel and not a irreplaceable Suntour cassette. Bad news: Sunrace and Shimano make cheap freewheels with a huge 34t bail-out cog, but I'm not sure if they offer versions with more even spacing across the range, and gaining just two extra teeth in the rear might not be worth the trade-off.

This is still nowhere near the potential old Suntour clusterfuck that it could have been, but your best bet at this point is probably a cheap FSA take-off compact crank from eBay or your LBS. Finance it by parting out those 144 BCD Sugino arms to a track/fixed-gear rider for $40-50, flip the rings for another $20 to someone looking to replace worn 144 BCD road rings, and you can probably get an extra $10 for Sugino-stamped chainring bolts if they're in nice shape.

Last edited by old_school_n00b; 03-14-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: didn't notice 32t cog
old_school_n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
patrolskid

patrolskid has achieved FLOW. patrolskid has achieved FLOW. patrolskid has achieved FLOW. patrolskid has achieved FLOW. patrolskid has achieved FLOW. patrolskid has achieved FLOW. patrolskid has achieved FLOW. patrolskid has achieved FLOW. patrolskid has achieved FLOW. patrolskid has achieved FLOW. patrolskid has achieved FLOW.
what . . . you've got 42 x 32
patrolskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #19
morgman
probably on bottletop

morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Finance it by parting out those 144 BCD Sugino arms to a track/fixed-gear rider for $40-50, flip the rings for another $20 to someone looking to replace worn 144 BCD road rings, and you can probably get an extra $10 for Sugino-stamped chainring bolts if they're in nice shape.
I think you might be exaggerating the demand for those parts in today's market.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #20
superl8

superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW.
Isn't this bike likely to have a "freewheel" block on the back? Go to MEC and grab a 28 or 30 - almost certainly more than the one you're running. I did this to solve the same problem. It was $12 at the time. If you've got friction shifting you can use any number of gears. Try our community bikes if you'd rather. They'll charge you more but you might be able to get some more appropriate rings up front.

I'd change the front and back.

MEC to the rescue

Last edited by superl8; 03-15-2012 at 02:16 AM.
superl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #21
bmor
Hello my name is

bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW. bmor has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superl8 View Post
Isn't this bike likely to have a "freewheel" block on the back? Go to MEC and grab a 28 or 30 - almost certainly more than the one you're running. I did this to solve the same problem. It was $12 at the time. If you've got friction shifting you can use any number of gears. Try our community bikes if you'd rather. They'll charge you more but you might be able to get some more appropriate rings up front.

I'd change the front and back.

MEC to the rescue
I've got a 32/13 freewheel, 7 speed. Yes it's friction shifting. So as I understand it, I could go 7 or 8 speed.

Last edited by bmor; 03-15-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #22
superl8

superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW. superl8 has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmor View Post
I've got a 32/13 freewheel, 7 speed. Yes it's friction shifting. So as I understand it, I could go 7 or 8 speed.
That's a good range. I expected a taller gearset - I've noticed many older "race" bikes had prairie gears. You might get lucky and score a cheap set of chain-rings @ OCB - They've got literally boxes of crap you can look through. Sports junkies by MEC has a surprising stock of weird old shit as well.
superl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #23
old_school_n00b
Mighty Riders

old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW. old_school_n00b has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgman View Post
I think you might be exaggerating the demand for those parts in today's market.
I agree that the used market isn't what it used to be, but I also wouldn't rule out being able to recoup a significant percentage of the cost of a take-off compact crankset.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #24
old_school_n00b
Mighty Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by superl8 View Post
That's a good range. I expected a taller gearset - I've noticed many older "race" bikes had prairie gears. You might get lucky and score a cheap set of chain-rings @ OCB - They've got literally boxes of crap you can look through. Sports junkies by MEC has a surprising stock of weird old shit as well.
Chainring replacement options are limited to 41t by the 144mm bolt circle diameter, and unfortunately, a complete compact crank, if available, is going to list for top dollar at OCB and Sports Junkies.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #25
old_school_n00b
Mighty Riders

*Insert Ritchey Ascent drivetrain swap comedy option here*
Old 03-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #26
bmor
Hello my name is

Quote:
*Insert Ritchey Ascent drivetrain swap comedy option here*
the old man used to say it's good to be able to laugh at yourself 'cause you'll never fail to be amused.
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: