Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Ride Planning and Tales

Ride Planning and Tales Plan your rides and talk about them

Old 03-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
drgonzo

drgonzo has achieved FLOW. drgonzo has achieved FLOW. drgonzo has achieved FLOW. drgonzo has achieved FLOW. drgonzo has achieved FLOW. drgonzo has achieved FLOW. drgonzo has achieved FLOW. drgonzo has achieved FLOW. drgonzo has achieved FLOW. drgonzo has achieved FLOW. drgonzo has achieved FLOW.
Anyone ride in hawaii?

So friends of mine are thinking of a destination wedding in Hawaii, and I'd have to scrimp and save tons to make it there, so I figured if I could maximize my time there by suggesting they go somewhere where there might be some good riding.
Any one have any suggestions?
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Bushman
time will tell

Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW. Bushman has achieved FLOW.
calling Vish
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
clarklewis
done

clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW. clarklewis has achieved FLOW.
Bring your road bike and surfboard
Leave your mtn bike at home
clarklewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
JLW124
under the bridge

JLW124 has achieved FLOW. JLW124 has achieved FLOW. JLW124 has achieved FLOW. JLW124 has achieved FLOW. JLW124 has achieved FLOW. JLW124 has achieved FLOW. JLW124 has achieved FLOW. JLW124 has achieved FLOW. JLW124 has achieved FLOW. JLW124 has achieved FLOW. JLW124 has achieved FLOW.
If you are referring to the big island of Hawaii itself, there is not much singletrack there. In fact there's hardly any dirt at all on the kona coast, which is the most popular tourist area on that island.
JLW124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
CraigH
Tear it all out!

CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW. CraigH has achieved FLOW.
I haven't ridden there, but a mtn biking friend has (in 2001) and posted trail info page (with video of riding from the top of Haleakala).
http://www.petefagerlin.com/maui.htm
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
theweev

theweev has achieved FLOW. theweev has achieved FLOW. theweev has achieved FLOW. theweev has achieved FLOW. theweev has achieved FLOW. theweev has achieved FLOW. theweev has achieved FLOW. theweev has achieved FLOW. theweev has achieved FLOW. theweev has achieved FLOW. theweev has achieved FLOW.
oahu has some great rides. check The Bike Shop in Honolulu and Kailua. Aiea loop, st. Louis,good stuff above Kailua.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
nortonwhis

nortonwhis has achieved FLOW. nortonwhis has achieved FLOW. nortonwhis has achieved FLOW. nortonwhis has achieved FLOW. nortonwhis has achieved FLOW. nortonwhis has achieved FLOW. nortonwhis has achieved FLOW. nortonwhis has achieved FLOW. nortonwhis has achieved FLOW. nortonwhis has achieved FLOW. nortonwhis has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theweev View Post
oahu has some great rides. check The Bike Shop in Honolulu and Kailua. Aiea loop, st. Louis,good stuff above Kailua.
St Louis is pretty fun. I brought my enduro with me when i went. It was cheaper for me to take a bike then a surfboard, so i rented a board and get 3 days riding in (I was their with girlfriends parents so needed an excuse to vacate whenever i could). Its fun terrain, but nothing like what we have in the sea2sky. You pedal up a road or do a bus shuttle, maybe a little more than 1000ft. then you have amazing views of waikiki and diamond head. trails start off fast and flowy, then you hit the volcanic rock mid way down. def dont want to fall on that shit, it will tear you up.

the guys at the bike shop are super friendly as well, but their rental prices are obscene.
nortonwhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
airwreck

airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW.
Oahu has the most trails, Maui, Big Island and Kauai has some riding. The road riding on Maui is very good but definitely seeing an increase in hostile drivers as the numbers of roadies increases. For all the islands you will spend a lot of time on the logistics of riding, i.e. finding/getting to the trails, chances are you won't be staying close to the riding.

I second the recommendation to go surfing while you're here, but the riding is here if you want it. Oahu DH racing scene has picked up lately, xc trail riding has expanded also with the addition of more trails on the north shore. We've had a growth spurt here on Maui as well but that lead to a couple jump lines getting flattened. No true DH here either. Figure an hour plus drive from the resorts to the trails and only sub 10 mile loops.

I can help with more specific info if needed.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
Feral
Your suck goes to 11..

Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW.
Sweet, I'll be in Waikiki for 5 weeks in the summer so I think I'll make arrangements to get a ride there. What's the best place for info on the trails?
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #10
Bryce
Registered Abuser

Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW. Bryce has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarklewis View Post
Bring your road bike and surfboard
Leave your mtn bike at home
I'd agree with this. Not that there isn't good mt biking, but the beaches and volcanos and waterfalls and swimming holes are pretty rad and more worthy of your time.

Also, you can do Maui pretty cheap. I think I spent $700-800 for a week including airfare, accomodation, and car rental. Get a couple friends together and rent an apartment. Stay far away from the resorts. Besides, the 'locals' beaches have a much better vibe anyway IMO.
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #11
airwreck

airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW. airwreck has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
Sweet, I'll be in Waikiki for 5 weeks in the summer so I think I'll make arrangements to get a ride there. What's the best place for info on the trails?
I don't know if this is the best place for info, but this site looks good for Oahu
http://www.mtbhawaii.com/index.php/
There is also dhhawaii.com
Old 06-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
Feral
Your suck goes to 11..

Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW. Feral has achieved FLOW.
Anyone have anything to add for Oahu? I'm leaving in just over a week, and getting my bike over isn't going to be a big deal, but I'm not sure where I'm going to store it on the other end. I'm thinking a cheap bike bag might be my best option and the only way to hide the bike in my hotel room.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: