Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Old 03-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
Matt D
A.V. Nerd

Matt D has achieved FLOW. Matt D has achieved FLOW. Matt D has achieved FLOW. Matt D has achieved FLOW. Matt D has achieved FLOW. Matt D has achieved FLOW. Matt D has achieved FLOW. Matt D has achieved FLOW. Matt D has achieved FLOW. Matt D has achieved FLOW. Matt D has achieved FLOW.
Gear Shots #70

Andrew Gower puts a set of Shimano Saint cranks, a pair of Straitline pedals and Blur goggles to the test in GS #70.

Take a peep at all the bling here...
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
J-Kwon
bikeless

J-Kwon has achieved FLOW. J-Kwon has achieved FLOW. J-Kwon has achieved FLOW. J-Kwon has achieved FLOW. J-Kwon has achieved FLOW. J-Kwon has achieved FLOW. J-Kwon has achieved FLOW. J-Kwon has achieved FLOW. J-Kwon has achieved FLOW. J-Kwon has achieved FLOW. J-Kwon has achieved FLOW.
150bux for pedals? LOL
J-Kwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Universe
sevenstringer

Universe has achieved FLOW. Universe has achieved FLOW. Universe has achieved FLOW. Universe has achieved FLOW. Universe has achieved FLOW. Universe has achieved FLOW. Universe has achieved FLOW. Universe has achieved FLOW. Universe has achieved FLOW. Universe has achieved FLOW. Universe has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via ICQ to Universe Send a message via MSN to Universe Send a message via Yahoo to Universe Send a message via Skype™ to Universe
^ 25 cents for grease to stop creaky cranks.
Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
nick
www.epiccyclist.com

nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW. nick has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGower View Post
I have had one occasion for each side where the pedal has actually become completely un-threaded and fell out.I do plan on pulling the pedals apart and adding some grease, and will provide an update on the boards if this ever happens again.[/url]
I find that strange first time I ever hear that.Two thing that makes this strange.

1-Straitline has no threads, it's retaining clips, well actualy 2.
2-You do not need grease on these pedals thats one the good things about it.

Last edited by Matt D; 03-14-2011 at 06:23 PM.
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
DaveM
www.davemackie.ca

DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW. DaveM has achieved FLOW.
unthreaded from the crank or the pedal came apart from the axle?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
rewoga
I am Molech!!!!

rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via Yahoo to rewoga
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
unthreaded from the crank or the pedal came apart from the axle?
Unthreaded from the crank - it was quite strange and hasn't happened since. Since I wrote the article I spent 10 days at the Mt Washington bike park and about 15 other rides. No issues.

I still check them religiously.

I write interesting stories with mediocre quality photo's about things I do and crazy shit that happens!

http://www.citizenclass.ca
rewoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
morgman
probably on bottletop

morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Kwon View Post
150bux for pedals? LOL
Here we are lamenting the loss of a long time local CNC company, and this is what you have to say about Straitline's prices? Come on...
Old 03-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
IFO
Cove STD goodness...Yummy

IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW. IFO has achieved FLOW.
160mm length cranks ???

you sure that wasnt supposed to say 165mm ??
IFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
WBC
Big Pat

WBC has achieved FLOW. WBC has achieved FLOW. WBC has achieved FLOW. WBC has achieved FLOW. WBC has achieved FLOW. WBC has achieved FLOW. WBC has achieved FLOW. WBC has achieved FLOW. WBC has achieved FLOW. WBC has achieved FLOW. WBC has achieved FLOW.
Send a message via AIM to WBC
I had the exact same thing happen with my straitlines, too.

It's definitely concerning as that's a great way to rip out the threads on your cranks. And yes, the pedals were properly installed, and they are installed to new style saints as well.

One other thing, it's really lame that the straitlines don't have an allen key in the back of the axle. When my pedals unthreaded, I didn't have a pedal wrench and almost had to go home and skip my ride.

for as much as these cost, they should be perfect.
Posted via Mobile Device
WBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
rewoga
I am Molech!!!!

rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW. rewoga has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFO View Post
160mm length cranks ???

you sure that wasnt supposed to say 165mm ??
You are correct sir. I will advise the editorial staff.

I write interesting stories with mediocre quality photo's about things I do and crazy shit that happens!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
morgman
probably on bottletop

morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW. morgman has achieved FLOW.
You guys were both using pedal washers when they backed out?
Old 03-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
Ispy
Cruisin for a bruisin.

Ispy has achieved FLOW. Ispy has achieved FLOW. Ispy has achieved FLOW. Ispy has achieved FLOW. Ispy has achieved FLOW. Ispy has achieved FLOW. Ispy has achieved FLOW. Ispy has achieved FLOW. Ispy has achieved FLOW. Ispy has achieved FLOW. Ispy has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post

It's definitely concerning as that's a great way to rip out the threads on your cranks. And yes, the pedals were properly installed, and they are installed to new style saints as well.

One other thing, it's really lame that the straitlines don't have an allen key in the back of the axle. When my pedals unthreaded, I didn't have a pedal wrench and almost had to go home and skip my ride.

Posted via Mobile Device
Interesting, and good point about the allen key. Also interesting that you also have them threaded into Saints. Coincidence? I have a pair of these on RF Turbines. I'm going to watch them closely but no issues yet. Love the pedals.

Last edited by Ispy; 03-14-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Ispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
rewoga
I am Molech!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgman View Post
You guys were both using pedal washers when they backed out?
I was. I think (in retrospect) that it may have been a "break in" deal. Maybe Straitline's machining is soooo accurate that the pedals thread in with very minimal interference. A less high quality pedal will not have as accurate a thread machined on it, which would provide more interference in the joint and be less prone to backing out.

Only happened the one time and not once since.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
ol' dirty

ol' dirty has achieved FLOW. ol' dirty has achieved FLOW. ol' dirty has achieved FLOW. ol' dirty has achieved FLOW. ol' dirty has achieved FLOW. ol' dirty has achieved FLOW. ol' dirty has achieved FLOW. ol' dirty has achieved FLOW. ol' dirty has achieved FLOW. ol' dirty has achieved FLOW. ol' dirty has achieved FLOW.
"While it’s only been a month and a half, I haven’t noticed any considerable wear on the cranks or the finish. All in all, I would give these a 9 out of 10 on the “hackable” scale (only things that are free get a 10)."

Really? Damn I'm jealous... my Saints are showing harsh pedal rub after 3 rides...not a big deal but they just looked so nice outta the box....oh well...
ol' dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
kperras

kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW. kperras has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgman View Post
Here we are lamenting the loss of a long time local CNC company, and this is what you have to say about Straitline's prices? Come on...
$150 for set of locally, well made pedals is a bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Good point about the Allen head. I always appreciate that little feature. Best if its an 8mm and not a 6mm head.
kperras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: