Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
Shoeing on the Shore - like methadone for riders?

It's not quite as good as riding but a lot of the elements are there - and it keeps you from going into withdrawal.

Here's my take on walking on snow...
cam@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
pedalhound
Artist formerly known as mudpuppy

pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.
Nice, something I have been looking at doing the last year or so. I also want to get back into XC skiing, used to do a ton when I was younger.

Last edited by pedalhound; 01-08-2009 at 08:24 PM.
pedalhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
DaveM
www.davemackie.ca

DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.
Is there a particular kind of snow that's best for snowshoeing, like as in as long as theres a couple of feet of snow it's good? I've been tossing this idea back and forth for awhile now, not willing to pull the trigger on a couple hundred bucks for something that might only be good for a short time around here. I need an alterative to biking but these days just don't have the time for a full day away from the family to hit the hills on the board. Biking was nice, being able to duck out for a couple of hours after work and burn some ballast off.

Great article!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
skifreak
Dodge City

skifreak has achieved FLOW.skifreak has achieved FLOW.skifreak has achieved FLOW.skifreak has achieved FLOW.skifreak has achieved FLOW.skifreak has achieved FLOW.skifreak has achieved FLOW.skifreak has achieved FLOW.skifreak has achieved FLOW.skifreak has achieved FLOW.skifreak has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
Is there a particular kind of snow that's best for snowshoeing, like as in as long as theres a couple of feet of snow it's good?
Any time there is boot deep snow or more it's worth it. The more the better, but it's so fun to wander the forest after a dump. Talk about off the beaten path.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Different Bikes
RIDE MORE

Different Bikes has achieved FLOW.Different Bikes has achieved FLOW.Different Bikes has achieved FLOW.Different Bikes has achieved FLOW.Different Bikes has achieved FLOW.Different Bikes has achieved FLOW.Different Bikes has achieved FLOW.Different Bikes has achieved FLOW.Different Bikes has achieved FLOW.Different Bikes has achieved FLOW.Different Bikes has achieved FLOW.
FYI the article mentions that we don't carry snowshoes this year. Correction - we do have Atlas shoes (923, 925, 1023, 1025 and Run models). They're available in all stores while supplies last. And we match MEC and Coast prices.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=117023
Old 01-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
LeeLau
Trail Plug

LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.
Those pictures of Fromme in the snow and fantastic. Thanks for changing it up
LeeLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Jerry-Rig

Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Is there a particular kind of snow that's best for snowshoeing, like as in as long as theres a couple of feet of snow it's good? I've been tossing this idea back and forth for awhile now, not willing to pull the trigger on a couple hundred bucks for something that might only be good for a short time around here. I need an alterative to biking but these days just don't have the time for a full day away from the family to hit the hills on the board. Biking was nice, being able to duck out for a couple of hours after work and burn some ballast off.

Great article!
the local mountains have enough snow for at least 3 months a year. I decided to purchase snowshoes this year and have been pleasantly surprised as well. I like to use the ipod for excursions.

some snaps from my excursions this year:

http://www.nsmb.com/team/page

Last edited by Jerry-Rig; 01-08-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Jerry-Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
ChunkyMonkey
Slayer'n it!

ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW.ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW.ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW.ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW.ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW.ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW.ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW.ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW.ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW.ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW.ChunkyMonkey has achieved FLOW.
Packed trails are great for a "hiking" type experience. You can log some good miles with minimal effort. Mt. Seymour is a good destination - long hike, and it's free!!!

The deeper the snow gets, the bigger the platform you need, and the harder the it gets. Breaking trail is a bitch in the deep stuff, but it'll get you places where others haven't gone. I've got these. Great shoe for snow hiking, decent for running, and you can add the tails when in the shit. They really do make a huge difference in the deep stuff. The ascent bar is a great tool for long ascents.

Gaiters: good suggestion. Not only do they keep the snow out of your boots, but also provide some pant protection from the snowshoes.

Lights: again, a good tip. You can use just a small led, or regular hiking headlamp. Don't bring the HID's. You won't need them, nor be popular with anyone you come across.
ChunkyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
KenN
I'm with the pedalphiles

KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.KenN has achieved FLOW.
Time for a link to my snowshoe thread from last Feb.?

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=106615

Kn.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.
KenN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
chris2

chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.
anyone been up shoeing with all the rain? wondering if it's a slushy mess or still coming down as white stuff on lower Fromme.
chris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
DaveM
www.davemackie.ca

DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-Rig View Post
the local mountains have enough snow for at least 3 months a year. I decided to purchase snowshoes this year and have been pleasantly surprised as well. I like to use the ipod for excursions.

Very cool. I know Burke is usually snowed in quite late, that's where I'll likely be headed. With the kidlet in a backpack this could be a fun family adventure.

Are poles necessary?

Last edited by DaveM; 01-08-2009 at 06:53 PM.
DaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
RossputiN
revolutionario

RossputiN has achieved FLOW.RossputiN has achieved FLOW.RossputiN has achieved FLOW.RossputiN has achieved FLOW.RossputiN has achieved FLOW.RossputiN has achieved FLOW.RossputiN has achieved FLOW.RossputiN has achieved FLOW.RossputiN has achieved FLOW.RossputiN has achieved FLOW.RossputiN has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
... With the kidlet in a backpack this could be a fun family adventure.
I was just thinking the same. I went a few times last year to Cypress (my friend Nathan needed to rent snowshoes) and had a blast. Coffee in one thermos, Baileys in the other.
Likes - going on clearer days so that the reward at the top includes a view.
Dislikes - staying in the tracked out snowshoe trails. I find they often get really narrow/difficult so I usually follow the trail (ie. hike within 10 feet of the trail) and stay on the freshest snow I can.

Great article!
RossputiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
Jerry-Rig

Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.
Quote:

Are poles necessary?
no but they are nice as they give a workout to your upper body and it is easier with them when its steep and/or icy.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
Rat
I like the way you roll

Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.Rat has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2 View Post
anyone been up shoeing with all the rain? wondering if it's a slushy mess or still coming down as white stuff on lower Fromme.

raining to the top and over saturating the snowpack. i was crotch deep with my snow shoes on last night in the rain. wait unitll it freezes solid
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
Nechako

Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.
Great article! I just got my snowshoes and I can't wait to get out and use them.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Richard
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: