Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Old 09-27-2008, 04:35 AM   #46
pete@nsmb.com
Crashministrator

pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.pete@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
I didn't take it personally at all, Dirk, and I also don't object to your...objection (it's been a long week). I am going to get Jonny or someone at Rocky to reply - I'm sure they'd love to state their case.

I will repeat that it climbed and pedaled well - the S/T issue is moot when descending of course since you're standing, but for seated pedaling, it's a fun bike. One last thing, I'm not sure if this is really intended to be an All Mountain bike as much as epic xc - that issue can get to be a bit semantic but I only say it because you were comparing it to other AM bikes and I'm not sure that's the right category of bikes to compare it to.

Another last thing is that I was riding a medium which is too small for me - if I'd been on a large, the seat would not have been slammed back.
pete@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 05:39 AM   #47
Dirk

Dirk has achieved FLOW.Dirk has achieved FLOW.Dirk has achieved FLOW.Dirk has achieved FLOW.Dirk has achieved FLOW.Dirk has achieved FLOW.Dirk has achieved FLOW.Dirk has achieved FLOW.Dirk has achieved FLOW.Dirk has achieved FLOW.Dirk has achieved FLOW.
Pete.

I'm sure it is a nice bike. And in all honesty, 3 degrees difference in seat tube angle doesn't make THAT much difference (about 1.5 inches further forward if you have 27 inches of seatpost/seattube exposed). But simple geometry dictates that 76 degrees un-sagged does not equal 73 degrees sagged.

Rocky can do whatever the hell they want with their bikes but I'd hate to see everybody having to start making their seat tubes 3 degrees steeper because all-of-a-sudden the buying public was convinced that their seat tubes got 3 degrees slacker when they sat on their bikes.
Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #48
syncro
sardonic bliss

Location: beyond the realm of the here and now in the what is and formerly what was
syncro has achieved FLOW.syncro has achieved FLOW.syncro has achieved FLOW.syncro has achieved FLOW.syncro has achieved FLOW.syncro has achieved FLOW.syncro has achieved FLOW.syncro has achieved FLOW.syncro has achieved FLOW.syncro has achieved FLOW.syncro has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
I'd hate to see everybody having to start making their seat tubes 3 degrees steeper because all-of-a-sudden the buying public was convinced that their seat tubes got 3 degrees slacker when they sat on their bikes.

i think, in general, the buying public is a bit smarter than that. as bikes and tech have advanced people who ride on a regular basis have improved their bike smarts as to what works and what doesn't and can sniff out the bs. i'd say all the guys i ride with aren't influenced by marketing hype, they do their due dilligence and purchase what works. while it may seem like a chicken and egg arguement, the bikes are getting better and the riders are getting smarter.
syncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:51 AM   #49
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
I just posted another Interbike article.

And we've got more to come as well. Here it is...
cam@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #50
Mic
The Diaper Diaries

Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.Mic has achieved FLOW.
Nice write-up...

The Technik jacket looks nice - a rain jacket for real rain, and it keeps me dry? Hmm....wait and see, I guess.

Oh, and the frame is a Yeti 575, could be wrong though.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #51
Ducati

Ducati has achieved FLOW.Ducati has achieved FLOW.Ducati has achieved FLOW.Ducati has achieved FLOW.Ducati has achieved FLOW.Ducati has achieved FLOW.Ducati has achieved FLOW.Ducati has achieved FLOW.Ducati has achieved FLOW.Ducati has achieved FLOW.Ducati has achieved FLOW.
The Ultimatum shorts look like they have glued zippers. I think I'll pass.
Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #52
jbogner

Thanks for your concern about NYC riders, Cam. We've got a few who are out of work now due to the financial collapse, but truthfully most are taking consolation in having the month of October to get some more use out of their Diablo Freeride Park season passes before they close for the season in November.

Oddly enough, the weak dollar makes American-made products more competitive with foreign imports, so maybe there's a small upside to this after all.

Love the I-Bike coverage, as always. Keep it up.

JB
NYCMTB
Old 09-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #53
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
Glad you are making lemonade JB! Hang in there - and thanks for the kind words.

It might be time to think about a trip to Whistler before closing as well - if you've got some google shares to sell or something. It sounds like conditions are all time right now.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:02 AM   #54
OneTonWonTOn

The death of swag!

What ever happened to the days when bike companies made cool random shit? Like White Industries making a sick CNC steel watch back in the day, or the Syncros cane, yes cane made out of handlebar stock and a bar-end, or the slew of pimp 1977 Schwinn belt buckles, what's up...? Most companies these days barely make cool t-shirts or ball caps. We need to bring it back. Oh snap,,,,,,what about the IBIS handjob bottle opener? whatcha think?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:21 AM   #55
brian

brian has achieved FLOW.brian has achieved FLOW.brian has achieved FLOW.brian has achieved FLOW.brian has achieved FLOW.brian has achieved FLOW.brian has achieved FLOW.brian has achieved FLOW.brian has achieved FLOW.brian has achieved FLOW.brian has achieved FLOW.
Mavic isn't owned by Adidas anymore.

brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #56
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Mavic isn't owned by Adidas anymore.
That explains things then doesn't it!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:36 AM   #57
yea ok!

yea ok! has achieved FLOW.yea ok! has achieved FLOW.yea ok! has achieved FLOW.yea ok! has achieved FLOW.yea ok! has achieved FLOW.yea ok! has achieved FLOW.yea ok! has achieved FLOW.yea ok! has achieved FLOW.yea ok! has achieved FLOW.yea ok! has achieved FLOW.yea ok! has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Under Hef's approving gaze. The NWD warm up party was at the Playboy Club in the Palms hotel. Good food and drink, fantastic service and about 25 kilos of cocaine. No hanky panky though - this was not your average Vegas gentlemen's club.

yea ok! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #58
moaner : )

8 speed

i wish the industry would produce 8 speed versions of their high end stuff - 9 speed systems just wear out to fast + i hate to change and throw away a cassette just because two or three rings are worn out
Old 10-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #59
jrock

jrock is a n00b; standing by
2009 Rocky Mountain Altitude

In response to Pete and Dirk's back and forth about our new Altitude platform let me start by saying they come in 5 great packages. CDN pricing.
Alu versions
Altitude 30-$2999
Altitude 50-$3599
Altitude 70-$3999
Carbon versions
Altitude 70-$4999
Altitude 90-$6599

Dirk, you have a lot of great questions about the design and it's good that you bring them up otherwise how would we really get to know and understand the concept without hearing from those who have been working on it and having them explain it. As Sideshow remarked, you are probably not one to get into a heated discussion with so I'll try to bring the whole thing back to just discussion level as there is a lot to talk about given this concept IS pure theory and nowhere close to a marketing ploy. Enter progression and our new Altitude.
Let me start with the stats, 2009 Altitudes have a 76 degree seat angle, 69 degree head angle, 140mm of travel front and rear and the Altitude 90 19" is built to ride hard out of the box and weighs in a 25.92lbs.
Other numbers that have been thrown around with regards to angles and degrees are off a bit. The one number that is and should always be correct is the static 76 degree effective S/T angle. As the bike sits without the rider it has a 76 degree seat angle and a 69 degree head angle. How it changes when a rider sits on it is all dependent on the rider, their riding style and position of the saddle on the post (more on seatposts later)

The Altitude is the evolution of the All Mountain/Marathon/Epic XC category. Altitude will be replacing the ETSX line of bikes and will be addressing many evolutionary issues of many AM/M/EXC designs out there but where we have learned the most is from within our own R&D department where we have taken 10 years of XC suspension knowledge designing, testing, riding and selling the designs we have released.

Here is the lowdown on Altitude. It starts out with a steep 76 degree S/T angle. As you sit on it the suspension compresses and you settle into an aggressive efficient pedaling position. Take our 2009 Carbon Vertex 2008 World Cup Series winning frame and you have a 73.5 degree S/T angle. If a rider wants the ultimate in pedaling efficiency I would assume this to be it? Altitude rear suspension set-up in psi is approx 75% of rider weight. Take me for example; 175lb rider weight results in about 130psi in the rear shock. That's a bit much for me, I feel a bit more comfortable with approx 125psi. I ride the shore. So give or take 5% of rider weight to find the kind of ride you prefer with regards to terrain. Less bumps/more air, better response, more bumps/less air, softer ride etc... This 70-75% of rider weight should result in about 1/3 shock stroke/"sag". With the approximation of adjustments you should find your S/T angle slackening out to APPROX 74 degrees. We have found this extremely beneficial for everything related to pedaling efficiency (and have not found it yet to be a disadvantage for ripping downhills) not only during climbing but also ripping singletrack in the saddle and pedaling. As the trail starts downhill, unless you know the trail and can see that it is smooth, you are out of the saddle and ready to anticipate anything that comes at you, therefore isn't it irrelevant where the saddle ends up? It is actually a bit more forward and out of the way for those steep descents. Now go the opposite way and start climbing uphill and you are most likely in the saddle. This is where the Altitude was designed to put the rider in an efficient pedaling position. On top of the pedals and forward on the bike where you need to be to climb efficiently. Nothing is compromised when the pitch increases and rider center of gravity moves over the rear wheel then virtual rider weight increases, creating more leverage against the rear shock, compressing it further and again losing more degrees in S/T angle and efficient rider pedal position, at this point pretty much all bikes have lost another degree or two in S/T angle
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #60
LeeLau
Trail Plug

LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.
Thanks Johnny. There's also one additional point to make. If you sit on a bike normally; generally you compress the rear shock more then the front shock. I think that's one of the questions Dirk asked about the geometry of Altitude changing when someone sits on it.
LeeLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: